Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Nora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a partial laparoscopic hysterectomy two weeks ago. I kept my ovaries. I"ve had no pain, bleeding or discharge. The only thing was the bloating. Since I feel so good I want to do everything I did before. I have to keep reminding myself I just had major surgery. Up to now I"m glad I had it done.

Comment from: bored to death, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I just turned 45 on February 11th. When going to my family doctor for my yearly checkup I was called and told my hemoglobin was 7.0. I already knew what the problem was so I called my obstetrician/gynecologist. I saw her the same day and I was told after exam and a sonogram that I had to have a total hysterectomy. It was scheduled for the next Tuesday. If my HB was high enough to have it. It fell to 6.8 so I had a transfusion the night before. It will be a week march 4th that I had the surgery. I had a total abdominal with everything removed. The worst so far was in the recovery room. I had severe nausea, I believe only due to the pain. They put me on a pain pump and it helped a lot. My hemoglobin came up post operation because there was no more bleeding. The catheter, oxygen, leg wraps and IV were gone the next morning. I even got up in a chair the same evening as surgery. I came home on the second day and so far so good. My hubby keeps yelling at me to sit and I do have pain but so far it has been much worth it.

Comment from: SJR30, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I"m 32 and 12 days post laparoscopic robot assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I"m moving great even though I still get worn out fairly easily. The only thing that I can say is bothering me is some incision tenderness and abdominal and back spasms. I'm not sure if that is normal but they can be quite painful. I have had some emotional days and a feeling of loss but I won"t have to spend months on end bleeding every day. I"m glad I made this decision.

Comment from: JLM 769, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Two weeks ago I had a total abdominal hysterectomy (27 staples) and I"m still having trouble with mobility as well as dealing with the pain. I had been suffering with uterine fibroids for years, extreme periods lasting two weeks at times and couldn"t leave the house for the first five days. I have a lot of swelling. The pain is horrible. I want a normal life again.

Comment from: cfoster, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a robotic total hysterectomy on Monday (today is Thursday) due to stage 4 endometriosis. I feel darn good. I took pain pills on Tuesday but haven"t needed them since. I have been extremely tired but can get around fine. The incisions are itchy but not infected. I was put immediately on a dual patch for estrogen/progestin. I am so glad I won"t have periods anymore! The doctor said I"d feel like a new woman.

Comment from: Sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 45 years old, and on February 11, 2014 I had an abdominal hysterectomy to remove a large fibroid, small fibroids, enlarged uterus the size of a big cantaloupe, and cervix. I also had endometriosis. My incision is 7 inches running from hip to hip. I had 7:30am surgery on the 11th. I refused the epidural twice on the 12th, as well as hard drugs. I was given Advil every 8 hours and Tylenol every 6 hours. I was released after only one night in the hospital. I am 5 days into recovery and I went grocery shopping with my husband today, and made dinner tonight. The worst part of this was the gas pains that radiate to the shoulder. I took some chewable gas tables, and Colace for a stool softener. Colace was gentle so I took one in the am, midday and evening. I did the same with the gas chewables.

Comment from: Tracey22222, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had a full hysterectomy a little over two weeks ago. I feel horrible. I"m healing well, but terrible headaches and body aches plague me. I am weak and tired. My hot flashes last so long that it feels like a fever. CBC came back normal. My gynecologist doubled my hormones, which helped some in the beginning. I was extremely depressed and just lost immediately after, so the hormones helped that. I felt great about a week ago, then the headaches and body aches started. The only reason I can write today is because that has let up some today. I know, however, this will not last. I'm waiting for a call from the doctor to see what we can do. I"m 50 and was already menopausal and on a light dose of hormones. I used to have migraines when I was on the pill years ago from a drop in hormones on the blank pills. I think we can safely say having no ovaries is not a good thing for me. I could have kept them with several cysts or given them up to have this. I hope this helps others who might be experiencing this too. I know it did me. I"m not crazy or a hypochondriac when I see others have been where I am.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?