Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: female 41, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a hysterectomy two years ago to the day and have never felt better! I had severe pain and heavy bleeding for eight weeks before having emergency surgery. They removed everything except for one tube and ovary. As I am still young, they felt that this was the best way to go. I also had some very large fibroids removed, which was the cause of the bleeding. I was out of hospital in three days after having the surgery (abdominal: I was cut from my belly button to my pelvis). I had doctors' visits every day for dressings and inspection. I was off work for four months to recover. (I am a nurse, so couldn't go back sooner.) This was the best thing that ever happened to me. I am healthy, happy, and thanking God every day that I no longer have the monthly pain. I had a wonderful experience and wanted to share that.

Comment from: justanna40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

At age 44, I had a partial hysterectomy. I was back at work after five weeks. I was having sex at six weeks. I had fibroids that caused uncontrollable vaginal bleeding; the fibroids had covered my uterus. I was in the hospital for 11 days because of a slight fever that developed every evening, and at the hospital if you spike a fever, you have to stay another 24 hours. The cause of the fever was unknown. The whole experience for my body was really not that bad. I had sweating for the first two days after the surgery, then my body begin to function normally. I had a bowel movement the day after surgery. I began walking the day after surgery. I had no post-op complications. I did have to have a blood transfusion because I lost so much blood before the surgery. But again, I had a partial hysterectomy: one-fourth of my uterus is left; everything else is intact. My only complaint would be with some of the insensitive nurses. Stay positive, and do what the doctors say to do, not what you want to do.

Comment from: Shana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am a 37-year-old mother of three that underwent my hysterectomy surgery about five years ago. I had excruciating periods that sometimes disabled me for the first two days of my cycle. It was so bad that I received morphine injections! So during that time, a hysterectomy sounded like paradise. Although I received information about post-surgery, I wasn't fully aware of the symptoms afterward. I've experienced some of the worst hot flashes, serious mood swings (my poor family), and weight gain. (Poor me!) I've been doing research on natural, healthy products to help reduce my symptoms. It does help ... some.

Comment from: stc69, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a complete vaginal hysterectomy for intense migraines and pelvic pain about three years ago. It was not an overwhelming reason, but it seemed reasonable at the time. I had no complications, but experienced painful bowel movements, lethargy, and night sweats (even with HRT). What no one told me and I've never read about, is that if there's anything going on with you -- something that's just “below the radar” so to speak and you don't realize it -- the hysterectomy can take away all that good estrogen and set off whatever's going on. For example, a mild form of eczema that you think is dry skin, or in my case, aches and pains that turned into an auto immune disease. I wish I could take more HRT, but I can't because of crushing migraines that are triggered by too much estrogen. If you're considering one, get a second opinion, and sleep on it for several nights before you do it. Even with a perfect surgical outcome, I still wish I hadn't done it.

Comment from: lbailey_4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a hysterectomy eight weeks ago, and I am still having abdominal pain and pain when I urinate. I called by doctor at six weeks and they said that I can go back to my usual activity, but the more things that I do, the worse I feel. I have been taking Motrin for the pain (that is all they will give), but that is a joke. Hopefully, some day I will feel better.

Comment from: texasgirl68, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I had an abdominal hysterectomy (uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes) three weeks ago. I'm only 40, but for my entire "menstrual" life, I had 42+ day cycles and heavy bleeding. I'd been on the pill for 20 years and for the last three, I had breakthrough bleeding. I also had a 6 cm fibroid growing on top and within my uterus. The initial bowel/urine movements were horribly painful. I had extremely uncomfortable gas pains in my bottom area. My doctor stated that was due to the Vicodin. I occasionally have pains even though I stopped the Vicodin after a week. The area around my incision and my abdomen is really sensitive (tingling/burning/numb) still, which is from the tiny nerves being severed. My doctor says that pain will be around for a while. The pain and incision are just like a C-section, in fact, my doctor cut along my previous scar. I stayed 3 1/2 days in the hospital and I could have stayed longer. I did have my mom come help with my family, and that made a huge difference. For me, this was best decision.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?