Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Cat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy four years ago. I"m in a lot of pain. My stomach is back.

Comment from: Slate61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

After 5 years of heavy bleeding 2 weeks every month, I am finally free of my fibroids and feel great. I had a total robotic hysterectomy on 1/23/2014. I stopped taking the Percocet as soon as I got home. I am drinking lots of water and getting plenty of rest. Looking forward to a new lease on life!

Comment from: Shann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had my hysterectomy about 2week ago. The pain is bearable without pain killers. My only issue is getting my bowels to move, and the stiffness. It itches so badly. But after the 24 months I'd had with the problems, I can deal with the itching.

Comment from: take away pain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I had a partial hysterectomy in Nov 12 then in Aug 13 I had my cervix taken out. Since then I've been back and forth to the gynecologist as I've been in so much pain. They can't give me an answer to say why I'm in so much pain still, they send me for more and more tests. I want an answer and the pain fixed; it's affecting everything.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago and my bleeding has finally stopped after 2-1/2 years but I am having sharp pains with urination. Before and after and I'm having pain in the upper right side of my stomach. I am also a juvenile diabetic so it may take me a little longer to get back to normal. But all in all I'm glad I finally got it done after 9 years of struggles.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a hysterectomy. On the second day, I got up. I was petrified but it isn't so bad. Today's technology is terrific.

Comment from: Dusty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had an abdominal hysterectomy three days ago. So far, no pain other than my stomach feeling bruised. I drove myself home the same day (even though the doctor said not to). I am just curious when you can expect to start having bowel movements again after this type of surgery? So far, I have had only gas. Other than this, I feel that I'm doing pretty well for it being just a couple of days post-op.

Comment from: freeandsingle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

After a lifetime of painful periods, heavy bleeding and inconsistencies of my periods, I had a hysterectomy. My ovaries were left in as I wanted to solve, not create more problems. Aside from the fact that I only got to stay in the hospital overnight and had a 104 temperature two days later that ended me in the emergency room and had no care by spouse This was the best thing I could have done. I have no more pain, no more bleeding, and sex is better than ever. It has been two and a half years, and it's still the best choice I've ever made, especially when I hear about friends and their periods. I strongly suggest having a diligent caregiver, it was the worst part of my hysterectomy not having one.

Comment from: pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had a hysterectomy many years ago, leaving my ovaries in. Since then, I have had three repairs to my bladder, and gall bladder stones removed. Now I have cysts on my ovaries, but because of the risks of heavy bleeding if I were to have the ovaries removed, I have to suffer with stomach pain.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?