Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. I returned to work after two weeks, which was not great idea; I could have used another week at home. I still have some pain in my abdomen, but my incision is healing well. I am really tired most of the time, usually in the afternoon. I know that this surgery was the best thing for me with the constant bleeding but I really look forward to getting back to my normal self.

Comment from: Berneak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 49 years of age and have experienced my 3rd nose bleed in one week. The first two happened in my sleep. The third occurred while driving to work, and I didn't have anything to wipe it with, which caused me to panic. After bleeding for 10 minutes I finally made it to work still bleeding which resulted in calling the ambulance and being rushed to the emergency room. After arriving at the emergency room, because I panicked, my blood pressure went up and the doctors couldn't get it down. Four hours later after losing 2 liters of blood, doctors and nurses were finally able to get my nose to stop bleeding. They inserted an object in my nose like a tampon which I had to keep in my nose for 24 hours. I am so glad they got it under control but I must say that was the scariest medical experience I've ever had and I don't wish it on anybody. And now I am resting and trying to rebuild my blood count up by eating beets and vegetables, taking iron pills, and drinking lots of fluids also. That experience resulted in my doctors giving me blood pressure pills.

Comment from: Strell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

It is one week ago today that I had a full hysterectomy. The nurse who took out my 15 staples said I healed amazingly well, I told her that part of my pain management was to keep an ice pack over the scar (wrapped in a towel). This helped me to get through the pain and it seems to have helped my recovery overall.

Comment from: Staci, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 07

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on 12/16/15, and spent only 1 night in the hospital, and have not taken any pain medication other than 3 times 200 mg ibuprofen. I drove on 12/19 and returned to work on 12/28. I did a 5K on 1/3/16 and returned to the gym on 1/4/16. I couldn't be happier with how things worked out for me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries four days ago. The first night in the hospital was rough, but I started feeling better about 9 the next morning. I really feel much better than I expected. I have to be careful not to overdo it and get plenty of sleep, but thus far I am pleasantly surprised at the ease of recovery.

Comment from: mwells70814, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had hysterectomy, had my uterus and tubes removed yesterday. My fibroid was the size of a 5 month old fetus. I'm in moderate pain. I have 4 incisions. I'm taking it easy.

Comment from: Akiiki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a supracervical abdominal hysterectomy 16 days ago due to multiple large fibroids. My fallopian tubes were also removed. I spent 2 days in the hospital. The first 5 days were the worst with difficulty walking, sitting up and down, etc. I am still sleeping more than usual but most of the pain is now gone. I go on short walks and started driving 10 days after the procedure. I still can't move fast or lift things but otherwise feel pretty good. The incision area is numb which feels weird and there is still some swelling. Coughing and sneezing is finally tolerable as long as I put pressure on my incision area. I think by week 3 I'll start to feel pretty normal.

Comment from: Frankenwendy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had my laparoscopic hysterectomy 16 days ago and I'm doing ok. I had the surgery to remove a 7 cm fibroid that was causing me to bleed out every month eventually sending me to the emergency room for blood transfusion. That's when they found the fibroid. The first week post-surgery was rough with constipation and nausea from the prescription pain medicines, and a lot of pain, but it's much better now. I'm controlling pain with an OTC anti-inflammatory drug. I can't sit down on a chair yet, and am still sore around my incisions and inside. The exterior of my vagina was very swollen which is just now resolving. I haven't driven yet and hope to be able to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I just had my 2 week checkup and doctor says I'm doing fine. I'm just now able to get up and down from a lying down position without stabbing pain. I can finally lie on my side when I sleep. I am avoiding coughing, sneezing, and laughing because it creates stabbing pain in my abdomen.

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?