Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: TiredMum, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

I had a total hysterectomy and oophorectomy due to menorrhagia, endometriosis and fibroids. It is 3 weeks now and I still have some bleeding, trouble walking long distances and standing for long periods. Unfortunately I suffered a hematoma in the wound which had to be drained and resulted in an infection that meant a 9 day stay in hospital with IV antibiotics. Constipation proved a problem initially but the side effect of the antibiotics had the opposite effect, unfortunately making the whole thing seem more of an ordeal. I still need an afternoon nap as I tire the more I do. The operation itself and pain wasn"t as bad as I expected but the whole ordeal would make me seriously consider this operation if I was asked again.

Comment from: lilly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

On February 10th, I had a hysterectomy done laparoscopically, ovaries remained. I left the hospital on the 11th, started driving on the 14th. I took ibuprofen more for anti-inflammation than for pain. I am pleasantly surprised at how great I feel. I am avoiding lifting/sex, but was okayed to walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical, just no abdominal exercises. I took 5 weeks off from work, going to enjoy it!

Comment from: katdental, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my total hysterectomy 2 weeks ago today. My specialist (amazing) had to make my incision from hip to hip to remove a 14 inch fibroid weighing close to 20lbs. And I don"t know if it was the skill of my obstetrician or just my healing rate but I am almost 100% ok. I have been doing my daily routine while stilling running after our 3 year old since the 2nd day released from hospital. The only issues I experience are pressure when I sit down but I'm fine when I'm seated, and itchy scar where the 30 staples where removed. I have had no bleeding or discharge since the day of surgery and have been on no heavy medications, only Tylenol extra strength since the day after surgery. My energy has returned and all my other symptoms have disappeared since I have had my surgery. So thankful that I have done it!

Comment from: Nadia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had my hysterectomy in December 2012. I was told that I could drive after a week and work after two weeks. Well, I could not do either for 7 weeks. I was in constant pain and all I got was pain killers. I am still in pain and thought it was my colon but I am just sore internally because after a year I am still not fully healed. I am happy that I had the operation but to have to take so long to heal is not right.

Comment from: Fiona H, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had a vaginal hysterectomy two weeks ago and I feel great. I was given both general anesthesia and a spinal (which I think helped with post-operation pain management). I never needed narcotics to go home with. I went home after 24 hours and other than some aching and tiredness for the first few days, I've been fine. I could drive after five days, and I can do pretty much anything. Obviously I am abiding by the no heavy lifting and nothing in the vagina rules! I am truly surprised at how quickly I have bounced back; so, apparently, is my doctor, who chided me in jest for walking speedily to the bathroom to leave my sample (at my two-week post-operation check-up yesterday).

Comment from: TiredMum, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Just a quick update. I felt loads better by week 6 and the bleeding stopped finally. I am walking fine, doing the same things I did before. Sex was fine too no problems week 7, and scar is a thin line. Only downfall is the menopausal symptoms due to the ovaries being removed. I would advise to keep those as long as possible to avoid the early change and long-term medication.

Comment from: lilmama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a partial hysterectomy on December 2, 2013 because my doctor refused to give me a full hysterectomy because I'm only 42 years old. It has been over six weeks I am still in pain, it feels like needles are sticking me in my privates, the cysts were removed off my ovaries but because of the pain another ultra sound was given and the cysts have now grown back. My legs are now swelling and my blood pressure has gone up to 188/108 as we speak. I feel like I still need a hysterectomy and I'm not sure it was better to have it.

Comment from: Tori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had my hysterectomy a week and a half ago. Everything is fine except I still have a discharge/bleeding from my vagina and I'm in pain because of my stitches. I feel like I'm ready to go back to work but my doctor wants me to wait three more weeks. I don't feel any more pressure from my vagina because of the prolapse.

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?