Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: Frankenwendy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had my laparoscopic hysterectomy 16 days ago and I'm doing ok. I had the surgery to remove a 7 cm fibroid that was causing me to bleed out every month eventually sending me to the emergency room for blood transfusion. That's when they found the fibroid. The first week post-surgery was rough with constipation and nausea from the prescription pain medicines, and a lot of pain, but it's much better now. I'm controlling pain with an OTC anti-inflammatory drug. I can't sit down on a chair yet, and am still sore around my incisions and inside. The exterior of my vagina was very swollen which is just now resolving. I haven't driven yet and hope to be able to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I just had my 2 week checkup and doctor says I'm doing fine. I'm just now able to get up and down from a lying down position without stabbing pain. I can finally lie on my side when I sleep. I am avoiding coughing, sneezing, and laughing because it creates stabbing pain in my abdomen.

Comment from: Positive rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had my total hysterectomy on April 7th, 3 weeks ago. I'm driving, and I went to work a week ago. I'm feeling better every day, really tired in the afternoons, pain is moderate, and today I had some pressure in my lower stomach. Overall it is not too bad, however I'm looking forward to be me again.

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy with removal of my ovaries, 4 weeks ago. My recovery feels slow but with two children to look after I am not accustomed to doing nothing for more than 10 minutes at a time let alone 2 weeks. Fortunately my mum moved in and has been strict with me. I'm now only taking Ibuprofen for hidden pain but am still unable to wear trousers; thank goodness for leggings! Driving will be dictated by my insurance policy but currently the thought of doing an emergency stop is far from my mind. I had planned to be working at home from week 3 but am surprised by how tired I feel each afternoon following a slow 15 minute stroll in the mornings. Now belief returning to work 6 weeks post-operation was an over optimistic plan!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy two weeks ago. Other than twinges of pain if I move wrong I feel fantastic. I have to remind myself to take it easy. I do have to take a nap around mid-day. I have no regrets about having this done and look forward to having a better quality of life and not having my life controlled by my uterus!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had my hysterectomy 10 days ago. It was vaginal with a robotic arm. I kept my ovaries. I am feeling pretty good. I am driving and carrying on with my days pretty normally. I have a feeling of menstrual cramps when I start getting tired. I have treated with aspirin. I am continuing to take a stool softener. Having a bowel movement has been by far the worst part. I expect to feel normal very soon. I have no bleeding at all. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: happy and healthy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy two weeks ago. I am doing really great. I am still feeling some pressure when I sit. I attempted to venture out with my family and suffered major motion sickness. I was sent home with a patch behind my ear. I removed it after the third day.

Comment from: Dawn J, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a total hysterectomy on February 16. I was doing very well up until yesterday morning, I don't know what I did but since then I have a severe burning pulling sensation on my right side directly under my incision. The pain is so bad it brings me to tears, I cannot walk, yell, or stand up straight without it, when I lay flat I am fine.

Comment from: supermomwife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. My uterus, tubes, fibroids and one ovary were removed. The pain has decreased some, but the gas pain and soreness are awful. There is still some drainage from the incision, but my doctor says it's normal. There was only minimal vaginal spotting, which only lasted a couple of days. I am very tired most of the time and don't have much of an appetite. I was constipated for the first week, but since then it seems I have diarrhea. I have lost about 3 pounds. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal and no more excessive periods and constant anemia. Best wishes to all of my fellow sisters.

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?