Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: Firefighter1419, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Today is the 4th day post a total abdominal hysterectomy plus one ovary that was attached to my uterus that had to go as well. I was in the hospital 2 days. I am working hard to take it easy and not lift more than 5 lb. per my doctor, but I have been up and around and up and down stairs since I have been home. I have worn the abdominal brace that was on after surgery, which helps me a lot. I am alternating Vicodin and ibuprofen for pain. Blowing nose and coughing are my biggest threats. Planning to walk on treadmill for 20 minutes as I am normally too active to sit still. Recovery is going well. No bleeding/discharge to date.

Comment from: Samy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had an abdominal hysterectomy nearly three weeks ago, I feel pain free most of the time and have to keep reminding myself that I can"t lift anything heavy. I am so used to being over active it"s hard, not lifting furniture, etc. My uterus was 843 gm in weight (normal would be around 40 to 70gms) I am so glad to have it removed and can feel the difference. Only thing is I get tired very quickly and find I have to have a nap midday for an hour or so. I feel exhausted if I don"t. I had three incisions on my belly, which burn slightly now and then. I have been advised by my general physician to rest, do nothing for at least six weeks and full recovery would take around three months!

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 14 days out from abdominal (vertical) hysterectomy. The doctor removed a grapefruit size tumor off my left ovary. I was in hospital for 4 days. I got up and walked with help 4 hours after surgery (not pretty), but I think it helped. Staples were out (30) on day 6. I am feeling good, have a little pain, and some pressure. Energy is low by evening. I have never had surgery before but I think it went well. The doctor was very honest about initial pain. I wrote a healing plan before going in.

Comment from: TiredMum, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

I had a total hysterectomy and oophorectomy due to menorrhagia, endometriosis and fibroids. It is 3 weeks now and I still have some bleeding, trouble walking long distances and standing for long periods. Unfortunately I suffered a hematoma in the wound which had to be drained and resulted in an infection that meant a 9 day stay in hospital with IV antibiotics. Constipation proved a problem initially but the side effect of the antibiotics had the opposite effect, unfortunately making the whole thing seem more of an ordeal. I still need an afternoon nap as I tire the more I do. The operation itself and pain wasn"t as bad as I expected but the whole ordeal would make me seriously consider this operation if I was asked again.

Comment from: lilly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

On February 10th, I had a hysterectomy done laparoscopically, ovaries remained. I left the hospital on the 11th, started driving on the 14th. I took ibuprofen more for anti-inflammation than for pain. I am pleasantly surprised at how great I feel. I am avoiding lifting/sex, but was okayed to walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical, just no abdominal exercises. I took 5 weeks off from work, going to enjoy it!

Comment from: TiredMum, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Just a quick update. I felt loads better by week 6 and the bleeding stopped finally. I am walking fine, doing the same things I did before. Sex was fine too no problems week 7, and scar is a thin line. Only downfall is the menopausal symptoms due to the ovaries being removed. I would advise to keep those as long as possible to avoid the early change and long-term medication.

Comment from: katdental, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my total hysterectomy 2 weeks ago today. My specialist (amazing) had to make my incision from hip to hip to remove a 14 inch fibroid weighing close to 20lbs. And I don"t know if it was the skill of my obstetrician or just my healing rate but I am almost 100% ok. I have been doing my daily routine while stilling running after our 3 year old since the 2nd day released from hospital. The only issues I experience are pressure when I sit down but I'm fine when I'm seated, and itchy scar where the 30 staples where removed. I have had no bleeding or discharge since the day of surgery and have been on no heavy medications, only Tylenol extra strength since the day after surgery. My energy has returned and all my other symptoms have disappeared since I have had my surgery. So thankful that I have done it!

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?