Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: Strell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

It is one week ago today that I had a full hysterectomy. The nurse who took out my 15 staples said I healed amazingly well, I told her that part of my pain management was to keep an ice pack over the scar (wrapped in a towel). This helped me to get through the pain and it seems to have helped my recovery overall.

Comment from: Staci, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 07

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on 12/16/15, and spent only 1 night in the hospital, and have not taken any pain medication other than 3 times 200 mg ibuprofen. I drove on 12/19 and returned to work on 12/28. I did a 5K on 1/3/16 and returned to the gym on 1/4/16. I couldn't be happier with how things worked out for me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries four days ago. The first night in the hospital was rough, but I started feeling better about 9 the next morning. I really feel much better than I expected. I have to be careful not to overdo it and get plenty of sleep, but thus far I am pleasantly surprised at the ease of recovery.

Comment from: Akiiki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a supracervical abdominal hysterectomy 16 days ago due to multiple large fibroids. My fallopian tubes were also removed. I spent 2 days in the hospital. The first 5 days were the worst with difficulty walking, sitting up and down, etc. I am still sleeping more than usual but most of the pain is now gone. I go on short walks and started driving 10 days after the procedure. I still can't move fast or lift things but otherwise feel pretty good. The incision area is numb which feels weird and there is still some swelling. Coughing and sneezing is finally tolerable as long as I put pressure on my incision area. I think by week 3 I'll start to feel pretty normal.

Comment from: Frankenwendy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had my laparoscopic hysterectomy 16 days ago and I'm doing ok. I had the surgery to remove a 7 cm fibroid that was causing me to bleed out every month eventually sending me to the emergency room for blood transfusion. That's when they found the fibroid. The first week post-surgery was rough with constipation and nausea from the prescription pain medicines, and a lot of pain, but it's much better now. I'm controlling pain with an OTC anti-inflammatory drug. I can't sit down on a chair yet, and am still sore around my incisions and inside. The exterior of my vagina was very swollen which is just now resolving. I haven't driven yet and hope to be able to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I just had my 2 week checkup and doctor says I'm doing fine. I'm just now able to get up and down from a lying down position without stabbing pain. I can finally lie on my side when I sleep. I am avoiding coughing, sneezing, and laughing because it creates stabbing pain in my abdomen.

Comment from: Positive rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had my total hysterectomy on April 7th, 3 weeks ago. I'm driving, and I went to work a week ago. I'm feeling better every day, really tired in the afternoons, pain is moderate, and today I had some pressure in my lower stomach. Overall it is not too bad, however I'm looking forward to be me again.

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy with removal of my ovaries, 4 weeks ago. My recovery feels slow but with two children to look after I am not accustomed to doing nothing for more than 10 minutes at a time let alone 2 weeks. Fortunately my mum moved in and has been strict with me. I'm now only taking Ibuprofen for hidden pain but am still unable to wear trousers; thank goodness for leggings! Driving will be dictated by my insurance policy but currently the thought of doing an emergency stop is far from my mind. I had planned to be working at home from week 3 but am surprised by how tired I feel each afternoon following a slow 15 minute stroll in the mornings. Now belief returning to work 6 weeks post-operation was an over optimistic plan!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy two weeks ago. Other than twinges of pain if I move wrong I feel fantastic. I have to remind myself to take it easy. I do have to take a nap around mid-day. I have no regrets about having this done and look forward to having a better quality of life and not having my life controlled by my uterus!

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?