Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: Nadia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had my hysterectomy in December 2012. I was told that I could drive after a week and work after two weeks. Well, I could not do either for 7 weeks. I was in constant pain and all I got was pain killers. I am still in pain and thought it was my colon but I am just sore internally because after a year I am still not fully healed. I am happy that I had the operation but to have to take so long to heal is not right.

Comment from: Fiona H, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had a vaginal hysterectomy two weeks ago and I feel great. I was given both general anesthesia and a spinal (which I think helped with post-operation pain management). I never needed narcotics to go home with. I went home after 24 hours and other than some aching and tiredness for the first few days, I've been fine. I could drive after five days, and I can do pretty much anything. Obviously I am abiding by the no heavy lifting and nothing in the vagina rules! I am truly surprised at how quickly I have bounced back; so, apparently, is my doctor, who chided me in jest for walking speedily to the bathroom to leave my sample (at my two-week post-operation check-up yesterday).

Comment from: Tori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had my hysterectomy a week and a half ago. Everything is fine except I still have a discharge/bleeding from my vagina and I'm in pain because of my stitches. I feel like I'm ready to go back to work but my doctor wants me to wait three more weeks. I don't feel any more pressure from my vagina because of the prolapse.

Comment from: Olive, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had keyhole surgery 9 days ago. I feel sick a lot, and not fit for much. I get sharp pains in the tummy area.

Comment from: DebS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am now 3 weeks after a total vaginal hysterectomy and bladder mini arc sling put in. I am still spotting/bleeding a bit and stitches from external repair still itch but otherwise okay. Hopefully I'm going back to my desk job on Monday Aug 11.

Comment from: lynnk42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had my total hysterectomy 6 days ago and for me it's a challenge to stay in my house not lifting or climbing stairs and let others do my housework because as a housewife and mom, nobody does it like me, move and lift things, put the correct things in the washer. And the pain it's the worst! I can't stand to stay in bed or to sit down. Yes, I walk around the house and sometimes around my backyard just to get some fresh air. I'm still a bit bloated for all the air.

Comment from: TechnomamaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had my vaginal hysterectomy one week ago. My uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes were removed. I was up and walking within 12 hours and pretty much pain free by day four. I feel good, but still feel a bit sore, no pain just tender. I am trying not to lift or over do, but that is subjective. Some tips: Drink 32 ounces of water each day for three days before and after surgery. It helps the recovery. You will need regular pads for several days. Eat lots of fiber, vegetables are great. I ate raw carrots, broccoli, raisins, etc. Eat small potions. Stay away from cheese it binds you up.

Comment from: TiredMum, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Just a quick update. I felt loads better by week 6 and the bleeding stopped finally. I am walking fine, doing the same things I did before. Sex was fine too no problems week 7, and scar is a thin line. Only downfall is the menopausal symptoms due to the ovaries being removed. I would advise to keep those as long as possible to avoid the early change and long-term medication.

Comment from: belinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had hysterectomy done 2 months ago and I have one ovary left. My uterus was attached to my bowel which had caused issues. After finding out from friends to stop eating cabbage, lettuce and onions I am starting to feel human again. It is 3 hours of surgery and it takes longer than 6 weeks to recover.

Comment from: Im OK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It is 4 and a half weeks since my vaginal hysterectomy and my left ovary was removed also. The doctor says to still take it easy and no baths yet, only shower. Nice to not bleed any more, as my symptoms were heavy bleeding to the point of anemia. Large fibroids and hyperplasia indicating pre-cancer were the deciding factors for the operation. It turns out, my uterus had a malignant tumor, stage 1, about the size of a golf ball. Anyway, I am feeling ok except a bit of constipation and cabin fever.

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?