Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: Melly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had a full abdominal hysterectomy with everything removed. The doctor did a vertical incision. I'm 12 days into recovery, walking about 2 km fairly slow, doing stairs, light housework, laundry and cooking. I did not take well to the hydromorphone that was given by epidural in the hospital, my blood pressure dropped considerably and I couldn't sit up for a day after without vomiting. I was given a prescription for the same medication to take for pain, but decided to take Tylenol 1 for pain. I'm taking it once a day in the afternoon and taking NyQuil before bed to help me sleep. It has 600 mg of acetaminophen. I was hoping to drive after two weeks but hoping now to drive by 2 1/2 weeks. I had the staples out at 10 days. That was a piece of cake. I had been worried unnecessarily. My incision is healing well, but it hurts as does the area around it. By evening, it's pretty sensitive and the skin feels hot to the touch. I was napping twice a day for the first week, but sleeping little at night and getting up very early. Now I am napping once in the afternoon. I think I strained my abdomen laughing too hard, it seems to be healing as well.

Comment from: Andrea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 48 and had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 8 weeks ago. I had 6 1/2 weeks in total off work. By the second week I was so bored and doing too much at home though not lifting anything heavy. My belly button wound kept oozing clear fluid until week 2 and the hospital told me it was because I was trying to do too much too soon and to rest. I knew I was not up to driving or standing/sitting for long periods as my body would start to ache. In the end the only way I could stop myself doing anything at home was to go away from home and I booked a 10 day ultra-cheap cruise. I left at 3 1/2 weeks post operation and took my son so he could carry the luggage. Ten days of no cooking or cleaning and just relaxing. Although I felt a bit guilty about it workwise, a nurse friend of mine told me she could not think of a better way to relax. After that I felt like I could do a lot more but could feel my limits as my body would still ache afterwards. The first week back at work was tiring but now at 8 weeks post operation I feel I could start moderate exercise. To the women who feel they can do so much after a couple of weeks I would advise to be careful as adhesions can form internally. This is why the hospital told me to rest.

Comment from: Smitty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 62 years old, diagnosed with endometrial cancer. I had laparoscopic vaginal assisted hysterectomy. I went home the next day, needed no medication at all. I have had no feeling of tiredness, no pain, no change in appetite. My surgeon was wonderful. I was thinking I would take 6 weeks off work, I could have gone back a week later.

Comment from: frenchtwist, Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a full hysterectomy almost 3 months ago and I healed very well. But my first advice is, never push a shopping cart; everyone said, don't lift, which I didn't. Make sure you rest and drink plenty of water. My doctor was excellent. I didn't have stitches, or a lot of pain.

Comment from: micheleinsd, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy about 6 1/2 weeks ago. Being sent home the same day caused me to have a catheter for 4 nights and then a urinary tract infection from it. If you can request staying in the hospital at least one night, I would suggest it. Beyond that, no problems. I am very physically active, so not being able to surf for 6 weeks has been tough. I tried surfing and felt pain, so no more surfing for a couple of weeks. My doctor let me lounge in the ocean/pool at 4 weeks, and I started gently swimming at 5 weeks. Sex has been great since 6 weeks, of course. If you are already active, I would suggest doing everything you are allowed so that you don't have to recover from your recovery.

Comment from: Sweetfitz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 53 years old. I had a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy 4 weeks ago tomorrow. First of all, I am thrilled to look forward to life without the constant gushing bleeding. I found out there is something called adenomyosis that wasn't found until after the surgery, but was the reason I bled every day for the last year. First few days were painful. Heating pad with medicines was a life saver. Pain still is impressive whenever I sit straight up too long or drive very far; probably would be better but the ibuprofen made my stomach hurt. Fatigue is still moderate, but my doctor said no work for 6 to 8 weeks. Reading other people's posts were helpful. Hope this helps someone.

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?