Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: Andrea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 48 and had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 8 weeks ago. I had 6 1/2 weeks in total off work. By the second week I was so bored and doing too much at home though not lifting anything heavy. My belly button wound kept oozing clear fluid until week 2 and the hospital told me it was because I was trying to do too much too soon and to rest. I knew I was not up to driving or standing/sitting for long periods as my body would start to ache. In the end the only way I could stop myself doing anything at home was to go away from home and I booked a 10 day ultra-cheap cruise. I left at 3 1/2 weeks post operation and took my son so he could carry the luggage. Ten days of no cooking or cleaning and just relaxing. Although I felt a bit guilty about it workwise, a nurse friend of mine told me she could not think of a better way to relax. After that I felt like I could do a lot more but could feel my limits as my body would still ache afterwards. The first week back at work was tiring but now at 8 weeks post operation I feel I could start moderate exercise. To the women who feel they can do so much after a couple of weeks I would advise to be careful as adhesions can form internally. This is why the hospital told me to rest.

Comment from: Smitty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 62 years old, diagnosed with endometrial cancer. I had laparoscopic vaginal assisted hysterectomy. I went home the next day, needed no medication at all. I have had no feeling of tiredness, no pain, no change in appetite. My surgeon was wonderful. I was thinking I would take 6 weeks off work, I could have gone back a week later.

Comment from: frenchtwist, Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a full hysterectomy almost 3 months ago and I healed very well. But my first advice is, never push a shopping cart; everyone said, don't lift, which I didn't. Make sure you rest and drink plenty of water. My doctor was excellent. I didn't have stitches, or a lot of pain.

Comment from: micheleinsd, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy about 6 1/2 weeks ago. Being sent home the same day caused me to have a catheter for 4 nights and then a urinary tract infection from it. If you can request staying in the hospital at least one night, I would suggest it. Beyond that, no problems. I am very physically active, so not being able to surf for 6 weeks has been tough. I tried surfing and felt pain, so no more surfing for a couple of weeks. My doctor let me lounge in the ocean/pool at 4 weeks, and I started gently swimming at 5 weeks. Sex has been great since 6 weeks, of course. If you are already active, I would suggest doing everything you are allowed so that you don't have to recover from your recovery.

Comment from: Sweetfitz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 53 years old. I had a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy 4 weeks ago tomorrow. First of all, I am thrilled to look forward to life without the constant gushing bleeding. I found out there is something called adenomyosis that wasn't found until after the surgery, but was the reason I bled every day for the last year. First few days were painful. Heating pad with medicines was a life saver. Pain still is impressive whenever I sit straight up too long or drive very far; probably would be better but the ibuprofen made my stomach hurt. Fatigue is still moderate, but my doctor said no work for 6 to 8 weeks. Reading other people's posts were helpful. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: mkl7993, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have read so many different ways that a hysterectomy can affect a woman that there is no set recovery, you can only read what others have gone through and relate it to you. I had a vaginal hysterectomy with vaginal laparoscopy four days ago. I stayed one night at the hospital. I knew about constipation and took stool softeners when I got home. I tried to go on just ibuprofen but found that the pain was too much. I have read some go off right away while others continue. I am just going to do what is best for me. I am going to be out of work for six weeks and plan to use it to give my body the best recovery possible. Even though I read how some are back to work or doing marathons under the estimated recovery time, I plan to focus just on me as every woman should. The recovery can vary for everyone so remember that and take care of you; listening to your body is the best advice.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. I returned to work after two weeks, which was not great idea; I could have used another week at home. I still have some pain in my abdomen, but my incision is healing well. I am really tired most of the time, usually in the afternoon. I know that this surgery was the best thing for me with the constant bleeding but I really look forward to getting back to my normal self.

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?