Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had my hysterectomy 10 days ago. It was vaginal with a robotic arm. I kept my ovaries. I am feeling pretty good. I am driving and carrying on with my days pretty normally. I have a feeling of menstrual cramps when I start getting tired. I have treated with aspirin. I am continuing to take a stool softener. Having a bowel movement has been by far the worst part. I expect to feel normal very soon. I have no bleeding at all. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: supermomwife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. My uterus, tubes, fibroids and one ovary were removed. The pain has decreased some, but the gas pain and soreness are awful. There is still some drainage from the incision, but my doctor says it's normal. There was only minimal vaginal spotting, which only lasted a couple of days. I am very tired most of the time and don't have much of an appetite. I was constipated for the first week, but since then it seems I have diarrhea. I have lost about 3 pounds. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal and no more excessive periods and constant anemia. Best wishes to all of my fellow sisters.

Comment from: airmanswife, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

It's been 20 days since my hysterectomy. I've been feeling absolutely normal since about 6 days after the surgery. I'm 39 and only had my uterus removed, because of prolapse. My surgery was vaginal. Up until yesterday I had to keep reminding myself not to lift things and having to wait another 3 weeks to have sex with my husband is driving us both crazy. I guess I was feeling too good because it didn't even cross my mind yesterday when I played ball in the yard with my kids, siblings, nieces and nephews. I was even doing cartwheels with my daughter. Today I feel horrible! And I deserve to. I clearly overdid it. I don't have any bleeding but I hurt all over. My husband says he can't believe he didn't think to remind me but, I've been feeling so normal that it didn't even occur to either of us.

Comment from: Firefighter1419, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Today is the 4th day post a total abdominal hysterectomy plus one ovary that was attached to my uterus that had to go as well. I was in the hospital 2 days. I am working hard to take it easy and not lift more than 5 lb. per my doctor, but I have been up and around and up and down stairs since I have been home. I have worn the abdominal brace that was on after surgery, which helps me a lot. I am alternating Vicodin and ibuprofen for pain. Blowing nose and coughing are my biggest threats. Planning to walk on treadmill for 20 minutes as I am normally too active to sit still. Recovery is going well. No bleeding/discharge to date.

Comment from: Samy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had an abdominal hysterectomy nearly three weeks ago, I feel pain free most of the time and have to keep reminding myself that I can"t lift anything heavy. I am so used to being over active it"s hard, not lifting furniture, etc. My uterus was 843 gm in weight (normal would be around 40 to 70gms) I am so glad to have it removed and can feel the difference. Only thing is I get tired very quickly and find I have to have a nap midday for an hour or so. I feel exhausted if I don"t. I had three incisions on my belly, which burn slightly now and then. I have been advised by my general physician to rest, do nothing for at least six weeks and full recovery would take around three months!

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 14 days out from abdominal (vertical) hysterectomy. The doctor removed a grapefruit size tumor off my left ovary. I was in hospital for 4 days. I got up and walked with help 4 hours after surgery (not pretty), but I think it helped. Staples were out (30) on day 6. I am feeling good, have a little pain, and some pressure. Energy is low by evening. I have never had surgery before but I think it went well. The doctor was very honest about initial pain. I wrote a healing plan before going in.

Comment from: TiredMum, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

I had a total hysterectomy and oophorectomy due to menorrhagia, endometriosis and fibroids. It is 3 weeks now and I still have some bleeding, trouble walking long distances and standing for long periods. Unfortunately I suffered a hematoma in the wound which had to be drained and resulted in an infection that meant a 9 day stay in hospital with IV antibiotics. Constipation proved a problem initially but the side effect of the antibiotics had the opposite effect, unfortunately making the whole thing seem more of an ordeal. I still need an afternoon nap as I tire the more I do. The operation itself and pain wasn"t as bad as I expected but the whole ordeal would make me seriously consider this operation if I was asked again.

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?