Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: belinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had hysterectomy done 2 months ago and I have one ovary left. My uterus was attached to my bowel which had caused issues. After finding out from friends to stop eating cabbage, lettuce and onions I am starting to feel human again. It is 3 hours of surgery and it takes longer than 6 weeks to recover.

Comment from: Im OK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It is 4 and a half weeks since my vaginal hysterectomy and my left ovary was removed also. The doctor says to still take it easy and no baths yet, only shower. Nice to not bleed any more, as my symptoms were heavy bleeding to the point of anemia. Large fibroids and hyperplasia indicating pre-cancer were the deciding factors for the operation. It turns out, my uterus had a malignant tumor, stage 1, about the size of a golf ball. Anyway, I am feeling ok except a bit of constipation and cabin fever.

Comment from: AtlantaGal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

My recovery time has been more like 3 months to be close to normal. I was told I would be back to "normal" 6 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy. I could walk, cook, do very light house stuff and drive at 6 weeks, but not much else. My definition of normal is a very physically active though. I still have burning and weird sensations in my abdomen (at 3 months) which I have been told is probably nerves regenerating. When I have talked to others, their experience was similar.

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am five weeks post vaginal hysterectomy and bladder repair. I continue to have serous drainage from the vagina.

Comment from: gill, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had my hysterectomy on a Thursday and have been released from hospital today (Sunday) morning. I had vaginal epidural surgery and I am having pain killers every eight hours but had no pain the first two days. I was unable to urinate once the catheter was taken away or pass motions. Then suddenly I was able, but had to had this awful gel in order to defecate. I was not pleased to discover I had an episiotomy and I don't know if my cervix was taken or not. I had the op for advanced uterine prolapse. generally I feel fine but a bit tired and without pain killer I would have persistent period type pains, but then its early days as yet.

Comment from: obeso585, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am five weeks into recovery from my hysterectomy and am still having trouble with walking and standing. My doctor ordered bed rest. I'm still having spotting. I'm not really able to do anything and get really tired.

Comment from: marcia d, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I had a full radical hysterectomy and I felt great within two weeks. I started swimming again and walking. I feel so much better than how I felt before with the enormous fibroids. It has been almost 20 years and I have never regretted doing this.

Comment from: Lorna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My Hysterectomy was Laparoscopic and vaginal. I kept my ovaries. By the 3rd day I walked in my garden and had to remind myself that I couldn't start pulling weeds yet. I was advised not to lift more than a gallon of milk and not too much of anything. It was like nothing had been done to me. I remarked to my husband that if I hadn't seen the incisions on my belly button and panty line area I wouldn't have believed that I had the surgery. I was very pleased. It's almost 8 years. Never had a problem.

Comment from: mom1984, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had the uterus and left vary removed by DA Vinci method. Although I have no pain (never have since surgery), I am exhausted. I feel like sleeping all day every day. I hope this is over in 6 weeks.

Comment from: sheila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had hysterectomy surgery 5 months ago and I have a few problems, but all in all it was the best thing I ever did. I get a burning feeling just above my incision site. The night sweats and hot flashes are the worst.

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?