Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

Question:What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?

Comment from: Nadia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had my hysterectomy in December 2012. I was told that I could drive after a week and work after two weeks. Well, I could not do either for 7 weeks. I was in constant pain and all I got was pain killers. I am still in pain and thought it was my colon but I am just sore internally because after a year I am still not fully healed. I am happy that I had the operation but to have to take so long to heal is not right.

Comment from: Fiona H, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had a vaginal hysterectomy two weeks ago and I feel great. I was given both general anesthesia and a spinal (which I think helped with post-operation pain management). I never needed narcotics to go home with. I went home after 24 hours and other than some aching and tiredness for the first few days, I've been fine. I could drive after five days, and I can do pretty much anything. Obviously I am abiding by the no heavy lifting and nothing in the vagina rules! I am truly surprised at how quickly I have bounced back; so, apparently, is my doctor, who chided me in jest for walking speedily to the bathroom to leave my sample (at my two-week post-operation check-up yesterday).

Comment from: Tori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had my hysterectomy a week and a half ago. Everything is fine except I still have a discharge/bleeding from my vagina and I'm in pain because of my stitches. I feel like I'm ready to go back to work but my doctor wants me to wait three more weeks. I don't feel any more pressure from my vagina because of the prolapse.

Comment from: belinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had hysterectomy done 2 months ago and I have one ovary left. My uterus was attached to my bowel which had caused issues. After finding out from friends to stop eating cabbage, lettuce and onions I am starting to feel human again. It is 3 hours of surgery and it takes longer than 6 weeks to recover.

Comment from: Im OK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It is 4 and a half weeks since my vaginal hysterectomy and my left ovary was removed also. The doctor says to still take it easy and no baths yet, only shower. Nice to not bleed any more, as my symptoms were heavy bleeding to the point of anemia. Large fibroids and hyperplasia indicating pre-cancer were the deciding factors for the operation. It turns out, my uterus had a malignant tumor, stage 1, about the size of a golf ball. Anyway, I am feeling ok except a bit of constipation and cabin fever.

Comment from: AtlantaGal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

My recovery time has been more like 3 months to be close to normal. I was told I would be back to "normal" 6 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy. I could walk, cook, do very light house stuff and drive at 6 weeks, but not much else. My definition of normal is a very physically active though. I still have burning and weird sensations in my abdomen (at 3 months) which I have been told is probably nerves regenerating. When I have talked to others, their experience was similar.

Comment from: lilmama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a partial hysterectomy on December 2, 2013 because my doctor refused to give me a full hysterectomy because I'm only 42 years old. It has been over six weeks I am still in pain, it feels like needles are sticking me in my privates, the cysts were removed off my ovaries but because of the pain another ultra sound was given and the cysts have now grown back. My legs are now swelling and my blood pressure has gone up to 188/108 as we speak. I feel like I still need a hysterectomy and I'm not sure it was better to have it.

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am five weeks post vaginal hysterectomy and bladder repair. I continue to have serous drainage from the vagina.

Comment from: gill, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had my hysterectomy on a Thursday and have been released from hospital today (Sunday) morning. I had vaginal epidural surgery and I am having pain killers every eight hours but had no pain the first two days. I was unable to urinate once the catheter was taken away or pass motions. Then suddenly I was able, but had to had this awful gel in order to defecate. I was not pleased to discover I had an episiotomy and I don't know if my cervix was taken or not. I had the op for advanced uterine prolapse. generally I feel fine but a bit tired and without pain killer I would have persistent period type pains, but then its early days as yet.

Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.
Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?