Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism During Pregnancy - Symptoms

What hypothyroidism symptoms did you experience during your pregnancy?

Comment from: Gweedette, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am currently 17 weeks pregnant with my second child. I found out that I was pregnant at about 4 weeks. At about 8 weeks, I felt extremely weak and tired. So much so that I thought to myself this can't just be related to the pregnancy. I called my doctor which was just a few days after an office visit where they ordered blood work. I told her how I was feeling and asked her if anything showed up in the blood work and that is when she told me that I have hypothyroidism. I picked up a prescription for Levothyroxine that day. I felt better in about one week and felt normal at about 6 weeks after starting the medication. They test me monthly. So far they have not had to change the prescription. I had always suspected that something was off with my thyroid. I had gained about 40 pounds about 1 year after I had my daughter. When I tried to loose it I would loose 15 pounds and plateau. I always felt tired and never rested no matter how much I slept. I have had my thyroid tested several times after the birth of my first child and they always said the results were within the normal range. The doctors are unsure if I was borderline or if the pregnancy brought it on. There is a possibility that I will have to stay on medication for the rest of my life, and it is also possible that I may not need them after the pregnancy.

Comment from: texasmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 20 weeks pregnant and have just been told my thyroid is underactive. I have been experiencing significant weight gain without changing my regular diet, shortness of breath, fatigue and low mood (depression is really strong). I just read here about how this condition can lower my child's IQ, so now I am upset and worried because I don't get the medication until I have seen the specialist and that is not until week 22. I hope the damage has not been done already.

Comment from: amt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have low energy, fatigue, shortness of breath, weight gain. I also have low iron levels and low hemoglobin count. All these problems have the same symptoms. I am now 30 weeks and they just found that I have hypothyroidism.

Hypothyroidism During Pregnancy - Diet and Medication Question: What dietary or medication changes did you make while you were pregnant? Did your thyroid levels change?
Hypothyroidism During Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Were you diagnosed with hypothyroidism while pregnant? If so, what challenges did it present?