Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?

Comment from: Rosemary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a blood clot survivor. I was diagnosed with the blood clot after leaving the intensive care unit during delivery of my first born through cesarean section in a hospital from a poor reversal operation. I was put on a heparin drip for three months, later on warfarin for two years. My biggest worry is, I have no idea if the clot from my left leg is cleared since it led me to weakness with my nerves, speed decrease, fatigue, and hormonal imbalance.

Comment from: Leonie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

In late 2014 I had a vaginal surgery with rectocele and cystocele. Then in mid-2015 I fell backwards onto my tailbone on a concrete step. I had an x-ray which was clear of any fractures but I was told the area was bruised badly and it may take a while to heal. I find it hard to sit longer than 15 to 20 minutes without it getting too painful and I find myself sitting sideways on my hip for relief. I find it best to keep upright and active.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Three years ago I realized that I have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). I am on levothyroxine ever since and it's helpful in fact. What concerns me is that mood swings do really affect me and the people around me.

Comment from: Rosemary, Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I was put on levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. Every joint in my body hurt since I started taking this medication. I did some research and told my doctor I'd like to try Levoxyl. What a difference that made. I no longer have the joint pain associated with taking levothyroxine.

Comment from: Mary66, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

At the age of 8, my hair was thin and I couldn't concentrate on my school work. I did poorly in school, but never understood why. My parents took me to a doctor, who said I was slow because of hypothyroidism. After taking thyroid (thyroxin) pills, I started to get better grades and feeling more alert in class. My parents couldn't afford to keep me on the medicine, so I went back to the previous condition. When I got married, I got a doctor who could help get me back on the thyroid pills and started feeling good at 23. I have these same symptoms as before at 30-40. It felt like every ten years, my body said 'increase, increase!' I too requested a bigger dose of medications, but was refused. Now, I take supplements, like iodine, with other vitamins. I can notice the difference whenever I stop taking the supplements. I am in my sixties now and feel like I'm in my forties. I'm taking supplements and eating seafood to keep the iodine level up. My daughter has these problems too. This condition is hereditary!

Comment from: Manu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I have hypothyroidism and been on levothyroxine for about a year. I still have no energy and am depressed. I do have a heart condition. I just want to feel better. I need my energy back. I have never been a person to get up from the bed to the couch and that is all I do. I hear about Armour and Levoxyl but don't know what to do.

Comment from: Noelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had Hashimoto's disease (hypothyroid) for 9 years. Before being diagnosed I felt like death! I started out on Levoxyl 50 mcg. And eventually needed, over the course of time, up to 250 mcg. I felt a lot better, however, my symptoms did not go away, pain, fatigue, weight gain, brain fog, etc. After much research I decided to ask my doctor to put me on Armour thyroid. It made a huge difference! It eliminated most of my symptoms and the rest like joint pain is eliminated by diet. Go grain free, it helps tremendously. Armour has t3 & t4. Make sure your vitamin D is where it should be, most likely if you are hypothyroid it's not.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?