Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?

Comment from: puzgrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was 54 when I was told I had hypothyroidism. I knew something was up when my hair started to fall out. I was started on 25 mcg of Synthroid and it's been raised a couple of times. I am now just starting to take 100 mcg daily. Let's hope this works.

Comment from: nhlover54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was on Synthroid for several years when first diagnosed with hypothyroidism with good results. Then I started feeling poorly again. I asked my doctor to change my prescription to Armour thyroid but he wouldn"t do it, stating "you TSH and direct T-4 are normal, so there is no need for intervention". I lived miserably like this for about 6 months, then asked my physician assistant I was seeing (in the same office, mind you) and he was very helpful and agreed to let me try the Armour thyroid. In a month"s time, I was feeling great and back to normal. That was 6 years ago. About 3 months ago my symptoms returned. I had moved last year and so I asked my new doctor if he would bump my dose up. He said "no, your TSH and direct T-4 are normal". After feeling badly these past 3 months, I switched doctors and have seen a nurse practitioner who agreed to bump up dose and to test my TSH, free T-3 and free T-4 (which you need to have checked, sometimes your body cannot convert the T-4 to T-3 so you aren"t getting any of the benefits of the medications). I feel great now, back to normal!

Comment from: alison2345, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in March 2010 after going to my GP with symptoms of tiredness, hair loss, weight gain. My TSH came back as 14.98 so I was started on Levothyroxine at 25 mcg. I am currently on 125 mcg and I no longer feel as tired, my weight is going down. I am just glad I got diagnosed and am on this medication. I don't know what I would do without this medication.

Comment from: Jaye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

After being diagnosed as having sub-clinical hypothyroidism for years, my endocrinologist (I"m also a type 1 diabetic) put me on Synthroid several months ago. The Synthroid had a devastating effect on my blood sugar - I could not bring down my glucose levels. I eventually had to stop taking the Synthroid - my blood sugar gradually returned to normal. Scary stuff!

Comment from: nolacs22, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have been on levothyroxine 50mcg for 10 days, and I am feeling worse and worse every day! I"m wondering if this medication is helping my hypothyroidism at all, because I am feeling worse then before I started this medication.

Comment from: She, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had hypothyroidism for about 19 years and been on levothyroxine.

Comment from: lalitha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I recently started putting on weight and I thought it's because of menopause. Then I used feel lethargic and exhausted; used to sleep for hours together. I then consulted a medical doctor. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, TSH levels are 9.1. I'm on medication Thyronorm 100mcg for the past 6 months, no change in my weight. I still feel lethargic and oversleep.

Comment from: lm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 51. I was treated in 2006 for hypothyroidism. I took the iodine treatment and was fine, my hair just started falling out but I'm never tired. My thyroid still works with 25ml. Sometimes I can't breathe, like a panic attack. I did gain weight but it helped me a lot, I still can't keep warm and then I'm never hungry but most of the time I feel great!

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?