Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Three years ago I realized that I have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). I am on levothyroxine ever since and it's helpful in fact. What concerns me is that mood swings do really affect me and the people around me.

Comment from: Rosemary, Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I was put on levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. Every joint in my body hurt since I started taking this medication. I did some research and told my doctor I'd like to try Levoxyl. What a difference that made. I no longer have the joint pain associated with taking levothyroxine.

Comment from: Mary66, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

At the age of 8, my hair was thin and I couldn't concentrate on my school work. I did poorly in school, but never understood why. My parents took me to a doctor, who said I was slow because of hypothyroidism. After taking thyroid (thyroxin) pills, I started to get better grades and feeling more alert in class. My parents couldn't afford to keep me on the medicine, so I went back to the previous condition. When I got married, I got a doctor who could help get me back on the thyroid pills and started feeling good at 23. I have these same symptoms as before at 30-40. It felt like every ten years, my body said 'increase, increase!' I too requested a bigger dose of medications, but was refused. Now, I take supplements, like iodine, with other vitamins. I can notice the difference whenever I stop taking the supplements. I am in my sixties now and feel like I'm in my forties. I'm taking supplements and eating seafood to keep the iodine level up. My daughter has these problems too. This condition is hereditary!

Comment from: Noelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had Hashimoto's disease (hypothyroid) for 9 years. Before being diagnosed I felt like death! I started out on Levoxyl 50 mcg. And eventually needed, over the course of time, up to 250 mcg. I felt a lot better, however, my symptoms did not go away, pain, fatigue, weight gain, brain fog, etc. After much research I decided to ask my doctor to put me on Armour thyroid. It made a huge difference! It eliminated most of my symptoms and the rest like joint pain is eliminated by diet. Go grain free, it helps tremendously. Armour has t3 & t4. Make sure your vitamin D is where it should be, most likely if you are hypothyroid it's not.

Comment from: roger 52, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

My thyroid was way over active and burned out in 1998. I had gone for months losing weight when I found it out, my eye doctor had told me and made my appointment for me. It was burned out and developed into hypothyroidism. The doctor I saw did nothing for a year, no medications or office visits. I put on almost a hundred pounds in that time. Then he started my Synthroid at .25 mcg; for the next year he bumped it up two times to .75, now I'm at .350 mcg and my life is awful. I wish I had tried controlling it instead of burning it out, I don't think there is any help for me. I have joint pain, hair loss, am crabby, moody, depressed, and now morbidly obese.

Comment from: angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I have been diagnosed with an under-active thyroid and have been put on an iodine forte oral spray, 4 sprays on the tongue. I am not really feeling any different whilst taking this.

Comment from: puzgrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was 54 when I was told I had hypothyroidism. I knew something was up when my hair started to fall out. I was started on 25 mcg of Synthroid and it's been raised a couple of times. I am now just starting to take 100 mcg daily. Let's hope this works.

Comment from: nhlover54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was on Synthroid for several years when first diagnosed with hypothyroidism with good results. Then I started feeling poorly again. I asked my doctor to change my prescription to Armour thyroid but he wouldn"t do it, stating "you TSH and direct T-4 are normal, so there is no need for intervention". I lived miserably like this for about 6 months, then asked my physician assistant I was seeing (in the same office, mind you) and he was very helpful and agreed to let me try the Armour thyroid. In a month"s time, I was feeling great and back to normal. That was 6 years ago. About 3 months ago my symptoms returned. I had moved last year and so I asked my new doctor if he would bump my dose up. He said "no, your TSH and direct T-4 are normal". After feeling badly these past 3 months, I switched doctors and have seen a nurse practitioner who agreed to bump up dose and to test my TSH, free T-3 and free T-4 (which you need to have checked, sometimes your body cannot convert the T-4 to T-3 so you aren"t getting any of the benefits of the medications). I feel great now, back to normal!

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?