Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?

Comment from: laceybby19, 19-24 Female Published: July 20

I am 19 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a month and a half ago. I'm taking levothyroxine and some days I feel good but other days I can't seem to find the strength to get out of bed. So hopefully the meds just take some time.

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

MY hypothyroidism treatment was 100 kcg of levothyroxine in 6 weeks 20 pounds came off, now I seem to be stuck with an extra 10.

Comment from: wsc99, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I was treated for hypothyroidism when I was 41 with levothyroxine. After a year I begain to see a difference. I was not as tired all the time, fewer aches and pains, thinking clearer. However, my hair is still thinning, nails thin and brittle, still feel unusually tired some days, thinking still fuzzy too often. I asked my doctor if Armor would be better for me. He immediately shot that down. I am not sure if synthetic drugs are best for me. Thinking about seeing an endocrinologist. Not sure what to do.

Comment from: Male Published: May 24

My son was diagnosed with hypothyroid on the day he was born. He is 8 years old now. The doctor who delivers him said he is usually taking test of hypothyroid from the placenta blood during delivery. My son is healthy coping well and normal and is on electroxin tablets since he was born. I am taking him for blood test once a year and until now they are normal.

Comment from: erika, 35-44 Female Published: March 04

I am currently a 40 year old female and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism just over two years ago, but had been suffering from many of the symptoms described on this site for some time. My doctor prescribed low dose (lowest dose actually) Synthroid. I am actually seeing him in a few days as many of my symptoms keep persisiting to this day, causing me to miss work far too much. I will ask him about this and see if there are any other medications he could prescribe, or just up the Synthroid dosage. Hopefully it will help.

Comment from: harbherbert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a 46 year old woman and was diagnosed with a pituitary microadenoma in 1991 and with rheumatoid arthritis in 2007. I see doctors quite regularly so when my menstrual cycle started going out of whack [missed periods and extremely long and heavy periods} I figured it was menopause sneaking up on me. I see a gynecologist, an endocrinologist and a rheumatologist. The blurred vision could be the medication I take for the adenoma, the fatigue, swollen ankles, sleepiness, lack of energy and inability to lose weight in addition to constipation could be symptoms of RA or side effects of the meds I take. Who knows my cholesterol problems could be a cause of my inactive thyroid and I just can't believe no one ever checked my thyroid hormones or at least never put 2 and 2 together until 4 days ago. I started treatment 3 days ago so I'm praying it might just ease some of the things I thought was something else.

Comment from: sumaiya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Thyroxine tablet every day on an empty stomach and proper diet.

Comment from: 2011, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Yes very true with thyroxine medication I too gained my happy life back but again I did not get my monthly period on the same date as was getting before i.e exactly same date or 1 or 2 days before or after.

Comment from: sylwiabb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 4 month ago, I had a test about 1 year ago and all my thyroid levels were fine. First I was diagnosed with tos ( thoresik outlet syndrome) I had surgery to remove my first rib after the surgery I was not getting better. I still had fluids in my legs I could feel the water just collecting in my body the doc than diagnosed me with diabetes and 4 months ago with hypothyroidism. I had my med s increased 3 times already they work at first and then my body adjusts to it. I'm getting ready to up my meds for the 4th time. I'm still tired, moody, in pain my skin is do dry around my heels and feet and I have big cracks that are painful.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?