Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?

Comment from: LuvBluSaphires, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I found out I had hypothyroidism when I was 43 years old. I was started on Levothyroxine. My symptoms never went away and they seem to just get worse. It was like I wasn't taking any medicine at all. The doctor I had said my levels were at the max that she could give. She wouldn't listen to what I had to say. When I moved to Kentucky the doctor I had listened to me. He changed my medication to Synthroid and now I don't have any symptoms. I still struggle with my weight and haven't found anything yet to help me lose weight. For those who don't see any change I would suggest you talk with your doctor and look at maybe changing your medication.

Comment from: kristaleyezd, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I am 33 and have been taking levothyroxine 25mcg for about 6 years now, about 1 year after having my third child. I was experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism recently, (hair loss, difficulty with memory, and put on 20 pounds in less than two months). I went to my doctor to be tested and my hormone levels were low. So he put me on 50mcg of the levothyroxine. We currently don't have insurance, so paying for lab fee's and doctor's visits wasn't exactly within out budget. I've lost about 10 pounds since starting the new dosage, but I still feel exhausted all the time. I also have ADHD and depression, so it's difficult to pinpoint which area is causing the problem. I feel like my depression and ADHD are under control and that I need to be put on a higher dosage of the levothyroxine so that I can feel like my normal, energetic self. I am constantly getting anywhere from 10-12 hours of sleep and still feeling tired.

Comment from: Deepika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had an accident 4 years back and I lost lots of blood. That was winter time and I had to take strong antibiotic to dry up my stitches. Due to those medications reaction, I got hypothyroidism. But that was my initial stage, so it's under control. I am Taking 62.5mcg and doing exercise 3 to 4 times a week.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I have been on the brand name Synthroid for 7 years and all was fine. New internist renewed my prescription and checked off the generic. Over the past year, I have had many symptoms of low thyroid level return. Just got back on the brand name and symptoms are going away. Beware the generic version of the drug!

Comment from: laceybby19, 19-24 Female Published: July 20

I am 19 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a month and a half ago. I'm taking levothyroxine and some days I feel good but other days I can't seem to find the strength to get out of bed. So hopefully the meds just take some time.

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

MY hypothyroidism treatment was 100 kcg of levothyroxine in 6 weeks 20 pounds came off, now I seem to be stuck with an extra 10.

Comment from: wsc99, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I was treated for hypothyroidism when I was 41 with levothyroxine. After a year I begain to see a difference. I was not as tired all the time, fewer aches and pains, thinking clearer. However, my hair is still thinning, nails thin and brittle, still feel unusually tired some days, thinking still fuzzy too often. I asked my doctor if Armor would be better for me. He immediately shot that down. I am not sure if synthetic drugs are best for me. Thinking about seeing an endocrinologist. Not sure what to do.

Comment from: Male Published: May 24

My son was diagnosed with hypothyroid on the day he was born. He is 8 years old now. The doctor who delivers him said he is usually taking test of hypothyroid from the placenta blood during delivery. My son is healthy coping well and normal and is on electroxin tablets since he was born. I am taking him for blood test once a year and until now they are normal.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?