Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?

Comment from: Keshav, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

My hypothyroid was discovered accidentally. I swooned one morning in a temple with cold sweat but recovered almost instantly. Later the doctor prescribed blood work and found the TSH to be 19 plus! Prior to this I was always feeling tired and despite a strict diet and fair amount of walking (I was 59 then) my weight remained constant. On some days I used to feel extremely uneasy for no reason at all. I thought it was my BP, but that was under control. I was put on thyronorm 100 mcg. to begin with. After about six years and at a dosage of 75 mcg life is normal. I have also reduced my weight by about 6 kg and feel lighter. The TSH is down to 4 - 5.

Comment from: greenie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was diagnosed firstly with hyperthyroidism I lost a lot of weight, was extremely hot then extremely cold, I had high blood pressure just about every symptom related to hyperthyroidism. I was then advised to do radioactive treatment and was then diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have gained weight a lot and my eating habits did not changed skin dry hair loss, memory loss feeling unbalanced and severe muscle aches and pain this has happened over a period of four years and through all of this I have done blood tests been on eltroxin, sometimes I feel so down I want so much to go back to who I was before this and it just seems so impossible.

Comment from: She, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had hypothyroidism for about 19 years and been on levothyroxine.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have been on thyroid medication for many years. I started out on Synthroid and was put on Levoxyl and after several years put on Synthroid. I had no problem going back to Synthroid. Didn't notice any difference. I would rather be on Synthroid anyway.

Comment from: Tealover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Hey guys – is anyone else worried about the Levoxyl shortage? I'm being told that it isn't being produced anymore, or if it is, it's had a major recall. My endocrinologist has been talking to me about the Levoxyl interchangeability with Synthroid and Armour Thyroid. I'd like to know if anyone else had any experience with these. I just need a little guidance here, because I'm starting to freak out a little. I feel like I've finally got things under control again with Levoxyl, and I don't want to have to suffer anymore while my body adjusts to a new drug.

Comment from: felicity, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I now understand most of my symptoms. I have felt awful, constantly drained, unwell. I couldn't understand how other people have so much energy. Observing active people made me feel exhausted. Another symptom is feeling boiling hot, thirsty always drinking water. I pour with perspiration. Thought it was menopause but doctor says it's the thyroid problem.

Comment from: officer2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have had a thyroid disorder for 10 years now, and nothing seems to help. I am allergic to Synthroid. Levothyoxine does nothing to control the t3 but levels out the t4. Armor thyroid makes me gain weight, so I have chosen to use bioidentical therapy and this helps the t3 & t4; But still my levels go from high to low. I still loose my hair, my skin is dry, and I crave chocolate like crazy. I had the radioactive iodine pill not once but twice and the second time was a double dose. Still they say that my thyroid is still trying to function. I don't know what to do anymore. Sometime I just wish this never happened to me.

Comment from: YSingh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism recently however the level of TSH Serum is at a staggering 179 IU/mL. Well just for reference, the normal level is between 0.4 - 4.00. I even got a second test just to confirm, but no luck there as well. Also, my lipid profile shows the cholesterol to be at the higher side. Now I would like to understand whether this condition is curable? I understand it's going to take time provided I follow the medicine regularly. Also, the level is too much on the higher side which makes me wonder if anyone else here in this forum has heard of such levels or known subjects which have been cured with similar levels.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?