Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?

Comment from: alison2345, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in March 2010 after going to my GP with symptoms of tiredness, hair loss, weight gain. My TSH came back as 14.98 so I was started on Levothyroxine at 25 mcg. I am currently on 125 mcg and I no longer feel as tired, my weight is going down. I am just glad I got diagnosed and am on this medication. I don't know what I would do without this medication.

Comment from: Jaye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

After being diagnosed as having sub-clinical hypothyroidism for years, my endocrinologist (I"m also a type 1 diabetic) put me on Synthroid several months ago. The Synthroid had a devastating effect on my blood sugar - I could not bring down my glucose levels. I eventually had to stop taking the Synthroid - my blood sugar gradually returned to normal. Scary stuff!

Comment from: nolacs22, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have been on levothyroxine 50mcg for 10 days, and I am feeling worse and worse every day! I"m wondering if this medication is helping my hypothyroidism at all, because I am feeling worse then before I started this medication.

Comment from: lalitha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I recently started putting on weight and I thought it's because of menopause. Then I used feel lethargic and exhausted; used to sleep for hours together. I then consulted a medical doctor. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, TSH levels are 9.1. I'm on medication Thyronorm 100mcg for the past 6 months, no change in my weight. I still feel lethargic and oversleep.

Comment from: lm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 51. I was treated in 2006 for hypothyroidism. I took the iodine treatment and was fine, my hair just started falling out but I'm never tired. My thyroid still works with 25ml. Sometimes I can't breathe, like a panic attack. I did gain weight but it helped me a lot, I still can't keep warm and then I'm never hungry but most of the time I feel great!

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was born with Hypothyroidism. I was the first baby born in CA and I was studied by U.C. Davis in Sacramento. I have my blood tested every year. I am currently on Levothyroxin 112 mcg. I was on 137 mcg a couple months ago. The feeling of tiredness never goes away. I take my medicine as soon as I wake up in the morning. As long as I do, all is fine.

Comment from: Angelina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

In 2003 I lost 100 pounds in 3 months and had every symptom listed here. In 2007 I gained 70 pounds in less than 2 months and was FINALLY diagnosed. I was told that my thyroid gland was apparently destroyed and put on 175 mcgs of Levothyroxine. None of the symptoms ever went away. My energy level is still at zero. My blood levels are checked bimonthly and I'm told they are "in range". I have tried so hard to lose weight and have been steadily gaining at least 1 pound every appointment. Suddenly this month I've lost 10 pounds. I'm so confused.

Comment from: Leah, 19-24 Female Published: January 20

After the birth of my first child I had a low milk supply and simply felt like crap. I thought it could be baby blues. After 3 months I still felt the same; not able to sleep, irritable and cold. I had gained an extra 15 lbs while breastfeeding. I had all the usual symptoms; tiredness even after napping daily, irritable, angry at nothing, pains all over my body, my face was unrecognizable from the swelling, black bags under my eyes and my eyebrows were very faint. Finally when my child was 9 months old i went in for a check up. The blood test showed that I had hypothyroidism. I am on synthroid and after about 4 months of raising the dosage I was finally losing weight and my symptoms were gone. I lost 55 lbs in 3 months. This was most likely due to the fact that I didn't feel like eating junk anymore and I exercised twice daily. Although I still had an extra 15 lbs my body was holding onto. It was a lot of work but I now am pregnant again (normal and healthy) and on a steady dose of synthroid. I can look in the mirror and say I know the person; simply the best part of it all!

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?