Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was born with Hypothyroidism. I was the first baby born in CA and I was studied by U.C. Davis in Sacramento. I have my blood tested every year. I am currently on Levothyroxin 112 mcg. I was on 137 mcg a couple months ago. The feeling of tiredness never goes away. I take my medicine as soon as I wake up in the morning. As long as I do, all is fine.

Comment from: Angelina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

In 2003 I lost 100 pounds in 3 months and had every symptom listed here. In 2007 I gained 70 pounds in less than 2 months and was FINALLY diagnosed. I was told that my thyroid gland was apparently destroyed and put on 175 mcgs of Levothyroxine. None of the symptoms ever went away. My energy level is still at zero. My blood levels are checked bimonthly and I'm told they are "in range". I have tried so hard to lose weight and have been steadily gaining at least 1 pound every appointment. Suddenly this month I've lost 10 pounds. I'm so confused.

Comment from: Leah, 19-24 Female Published: January 20

After the birth of my first child I had a low milk supply and simply felt like crap. I thought it could be baby blues. After 3 months I still felt the same; not able to sleep, irritable and cold. I had gained an extra 15 lbs while breastfeeding. I had all the usual symptoms; tiredness even after napping daily, irritable, angry at nothing, pains all over my body, my face was unrecognizable from the swelling, black bags under my eyes and my eyebrows were very faint. Finally when my child was 9 months old i went in for a check up. The blood test showed that I had hypothyroidism. I am on synthroid and after about 4 months of raising the dosage I was finally losing weight and my symptoms were gone. I lost 55 lbs in 3 months. This was most likely due to the fact that I didn't feel like eating junk anymore and I exercised twice daily. Although I still had an extra 15 lbs my body was holding onto. It was a lot of work but I now am pregnant again (normal and healthy) and on a steady dose of synthroid. I can look in the mirror and say I know the person; simply the best part of it all!

Comment from: Keshav, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

My hypothyroid was discovered accidentally. I swooned one morning in a temple with cold sweat but recovered almost instantly. Later the doctor prescribed blood work and found the TSH to be 19 plus! Prior to this I was always feeling tired and despite a strict diet and fair amount of walking (I was 59 then) my weight remained constant. On some days I used to feel extremely uneasy for no reason at all. I thought it was my BP, but that was under control. I was put on thyronorm 100 mcg. to begin with. After about six years and at a dosage of 75 mcg life is normal. I have also reduced my weight by about 6 kg and feel lighter. The TSH is down to 4 - 5.

Comment from: greenie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was diagnosed firstly with hyperthyroidism I lost a lot of weight, was extremely hot then extremely cold, I had high blood pressure just about every symptom related to hyperthyroidism. I was then advised to do radioactive treatment and was then diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have gained weight a lot and my eating habits did not changed skin dry hair loss, memory loss feeling unbalanced and severe muscle aches and pain this has happened over a period of four years and through all of this I have done blood tests been on eltroxin, sometimes I feel so down I want so much to go back to who I was before this and it just seems so impossible.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have been on thyroid medication for many years. I started out on Synthroid and was put on Levoxyl and after several years put on Synthroid. I had no problem going back to Synthroid. Didn't notice any difference. I would rather be on Synthroid anyway.

Comment from: Tealover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Hey guys – is anyone else worried about the Levoxyl shortage? I'm being told that it isn't being produced anymore, or if it is, it's had a major recall. My endocrinologist has been talking to me about the Levoxyl interchangeability with Synthroid and Armour Thyroid. I'd like to know if anyone else had any experience with these. I just need a little guidance here, because I'm starting to freak out a little. I feel like I've finally got things under control again with Levoxyl, and I don't want to have to suffer anymore while my body adjusts to a new drug.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?