Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

A Doctor's View on Hypothyroidism Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid glad does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones are important in controlling the bodies metabolism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism can vary from mild to severe. Examples of the most common hypothyroidism symptoms include weight gain, constipation, depression, feeling "run down," thinning or brittle hair or nails, intolerance to cold, loss of libido, and sleepiness. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Nurdreamshm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid at 29 years of age. I gained 125 lb. over a year trying to find out why I was getting fat. I was put on 50 mcg Synthroid. I had normal TSH levels but kept gaining weight. My dose was put all the way up to 150 mcg but I continued to gain. I was on an 1100 calorie diet and had to exercise for no less than 3 hours a day, but I kept gaining. My endocrinologist swore I was lying in my food journal. I was still cold all the time, nails peeling and cracking, lizard skin and missing my periods altogether. Now I"m almost 300 lb. I went to a new doctor. I was put on Armour Thyroid, and lost 60 lb. without exercising. Most of my problems were gone. My skin never got back to being silky like before thyroid issues, but my period was back to normal, I lost weight and overall felt better. From my experience all Endocrinologist believe that Synthroid is the cure all. It is not.

Comment from: Gabby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was 29 when all of a sudden I started gaining a lot of weight, my hair was falling out like crazy, but since I have a lot of it, I wasn"t really concerned. My skin was very, very dry, I was so very cold, more and more and I was so sleepy and tired all the time, which was unusual for me because, on the contrary, I had always experimented trouble falling asleep and would sleep less than the average person. My prolactin levels were high and the general opinion was that I probably had an abscess in my brain (what!). So, luckily for me, the doctor I was supposed to see was not there that day and a well-seasoned internal medicine doctor saw me. In five minutes he asked me all the questions pertaining to symptoms of hypothyroidism and I had them all. He ordered tests and sure enough, my thyroid was so out of whack. A couple of years had gone by before anyone could tell me what was wrong. I kept looking at the symptoms isolated from one another, finding a reasonable cause for each one.

Comment from: kelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am 23 and have hypothyroidism. Even though I am on levothyroxine 50mcg and my blood test shows, on this medication, I am now in the normal range I still feel so exhausted all the time. I get migraines, hot flushes, dizzy spells, Joint pain, irritability, mood changes, anxiety and most days I can"t even get out of bed. I"m fed up. I am trying to do a degree and it feels impossible as I am so tired and unmotivated all the time. My last job I lost due to too many sick days and I feel more like I'm 80 than 23. The doctors are not very helpful or understanding and I don"t know where to turn. I feel so weak.

Comment from: AlainaB, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed at 20 with hypothyroidism. My main concern was weight gain. I always weighed 125 in high school and suddenly I weighed 140. I suspected there was something wrong because even though I drastically changed my diet and upped my workouts, I could not lose the weight. I also had difficulty concentrating and was always tired. My doctor did not want to test me. I am in nursing school so many of my symptoms could be caused by that (which is what my doctor thought). Being a nursing student, I persisted and wanted to be checked anyways. In 2012 my TSH was 1.4, in the spring of 2013 when I was diagnosed my TSH was 5.3 and I was put on 50mcg of Levothyroxine. In Oct 2013 my TSH was 5.7 so my medicines were bumped up to 75mcg. In Jan 2014 my TSH was 6.0 and so my medicines were changed to 100mcg. It has been almost a year now and I have still gained weight, feel extremely fatigued, can't concentrate worth anything, have had an annoying rash/crazy bad dry skin for 5 months, and now my hair is thinning. I hope they can figure this out soon!

Comment from: momhasquestions, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 27

My son has hypothyroidism. He is 23 and has had it for 10 years or so. He was diagnosed when he was 15; however he had symptoms long before. He's been experiencing tongue issues for some time. His throat hurts to touch and his tongue is getting more white and numb. Food is losing its taste. He is taking Synthroid for medications.

Comment from: s thanvi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am suffering from hypothyroid since last 3 years and diabetes from last 2 months. I do exercise but unable to lose weight. I am taking thyroxin at the same time my TSH and T4 are under control.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?