Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

A Doctor's View on Hypothyroidism Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid glad does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones are important in controlling the bodies metabolism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism can vary from mild to severe. Examples of the most common hypothyroidism symptoms include weight gain, constipation, depression, feeling "run down," thinning or brittle hair or nails, intolerance to cold, loss of libido, and sleepiness. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Bertab, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I remember feeling really run down at the end of the day. It was hard to follow through at work. I had definite brain fog! The two strongest symptoms for my hypothyroidism were a severe aching in my bones and unbelievable constipation. When I went in for treatment of the latter, the nurse practitioner did blood work. I was definitely hypothyroid, and looking back in my records, the bloodwork numbers showed I had been that way for years. It took my insistence for the follow up and a nurse practitioner (female) to make the connection. None of my male physicians caught the problem. Make sure you are heard. You know your body better than anyone else. Synthroid is doing the job and I feel so much better. And yes, I still love my doctor, I just make my concerns very clear and it helps him help me.

Comment from: BrettC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

My hypothyroid symptoms are chronic fatigue, insomnia, weight gain, swelling in throat, snoring, back ache, sides ache, dizziness, depression and anxiety, low white cell count, occasional arrhythmia, vitamin B deficiency, iron deficiency, occasionally inability to pay attention, memory loss, irritability, impatience and I am easily exhausted.

Comment from: Kathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

My initial symptoms of hypothyroidism included depression, itchy skin and really itchy scalp. This worsened and severe muscle pains added to it (misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia and arthritis). I went to a doctor who diagnosed it as Hashimoto's but would not start therapy because the T4 levels were right on the border in the normal range (+3). At that time I was begging for some help. I started getting brain fog, losing large gaps in time, and finally I started stuttering (I had never stuttered before in my life). My memory got to the point that I thought I must have early stage Alzheimer's. I finally went to a doctor who was willing to treat the Hashimoto's with Synthroid. The symptoms got better almost immediately. I am now on 100 mg of Synthroid daily. I still have vision problems and some depression but the pain, memory and brain problem have improved greatly.

Comment from: mamafs214, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was 18 when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I gained about 50 lb., felt extremely exhausted all the time, very dizzy, and my hair was falling out. I went to the doctor and was told I had hypothyroidism, and have been on levothyroxine since. My hands are always freezing, and I often feel dizzy still, and have very bad anxiety still. But I can't seem to gain weight now.

Comment from: jlady2780, Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have TSH of 0.109 and with hypothyroidism. I'm losing my hair, dealing with depression and memory and focus loss.

Comment from: nancy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am a married woman and suffering from hypothyroidism since the age of 25 years and taking the tablets thyroxine sodium tablets (100 mcg), daily one tablet. Recently I did my test and in that my T4 level is more than normal range. I feel sleepy whenever I take tablet of thyroxine and nowadays I am feeling sleepy, tired, my weight is 67 kg and height 5.4 inches. I have memory loss also like in studies and some other things.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?