Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

A Doctor's View on Hypothyroidism Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid glad does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones are important in controlling the bodies metabolism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism can vary from mild to severe. Examples of the most common hypothyroidism symptoms include weight gain, constipation, depression, feeling "run down," thinning or brittle hair or nails, intolerance to cold, loss of libido, and sleepiness. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: hotrod, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been dealing with hypothyroidism for the past 15 to 20 years. Symptoms include excessive weight gain, low energy, nonexistent libido, brittle nails, dry skin, tired all the time, anemia, insomnia, aches and pains, and depression. Instead of being cold, I am always hot. Sometimes I can't sleep because my feet are so hot so I have to go stand in a snow bank or cold water in the tub. I have tried watching what I eat and do lots of exercise, but really struggle to lose weight. In the past 4 years my TSH has been anywhere between .05 and 14.32. Ferritin runs between 46 and 86. I am desperate for help to help me feel better.

Comment from: JJKSOTON, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have been told I have sub clinical hypothyroidism. I am on 25 mg of levothyroxine, but the dizzy spells are awful, some last 5 minutes, up to all day. My levels when first tested were 400 instead of 75. When the dizzy spell starts I need to use the toilet urgently. I am not sure how long I am supposed to be sub clinical. I do have a great doctor but she not an expert on thyroid issue.

Comment from: Kavitha M., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I got this hypothyroidism at the time of pregnancy. Later it got aborted. I feel very low by the end of the day and experience body pains, mainly my legs above ankles. I even have constipation, hair loss, fatigue, insomnia, back ache, sides ache, dizziness, depression and anxiety, iron deficiency, occasionally inability to pay attention, memory loss, irritability, impatience and I am easily exhausted. I feel very dull at times without any reason. I was never like this before. I used to be always very enthusiastic. I am unable to be normal at work even. I take thyroxin 25 mg and tests show normal.

Comment from: Bertab, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I remember feeling really run down at the end of the day. It was hard to follow through at work. I had definite brain fog! The two strongest symptoms for my hypothyroidism were a severe aching in my bones and unbelievable constipation. When I went in for treatment of the latter, the nurse practitioner did blood work. I was definitely hypothyroid, and looking back in my records, the bloodwork numbers showed I had been that way for years. It took my insistence for the follow up and a nurse practitioner (female) to make the connection. None of my male physicians caught the problem. Make sure you are heard. You know your body better than anyone else. Synthroid is doing the job and I feel so much better. And yes, I still love my doctor, I just make my concerns very clear and it helps him help me.

Comment from: BrettC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

My hypothyroid symptoms are chronic fatigue, insomnia, weight gain, swelling in throat, snoring, back ache, sides ache, dizziness, depression and anxiety, low white cell count, occasional arrhythmia, vitamin B deficiency, iron deficiency, occasionally inability to pay attention, memory loss, irritability, impatience and I am easily exhausted.

Comment from: Kathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

My initial symptoms of hypothyroidism included depression, itchy skin and really itchy scalp. This worsened and severe muscle pains added to it (misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia and arthritis). I went to a doctor who diagnosed it as Hashimoto's but would not start therapy because the T4 levels were right on the border in the normal range (+3). At that time I was begging for some help. I started getting brain fog, losing large gaps in time, and finally I started stuttering (I had never stuttered before in my life). My memory got to the point that I thought I must have early stage Alzheimer's. I finally went to a doctor who was willing to treat the Hashimoto's with Synthroid. The symptoms got better almost immediately. I am now on 100 mg of Synthroid daily. I still have vision problems and some depression but the pain, memory and brain problem have improved greatly.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?