Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

A Doctor's View on Hypothyroidism Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid glad does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones are important in controlling the bodies metabolism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism can vary from mild to severe. Examples of the most common hypothyroidism symptoms include weight gain, constipation, depression, feeling "run down," thinning or brittle hair or nails, intolerance to cold, loss of libido, and sleepiness. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Needhelp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I'm having hypothyroidism, and my doctor lowered my medicines. Now I am having dizzy spells, weight gain, cramps and constipation. I am so disappointed that doctors do not listen. I have been on this dose for 10 years with no problems. So upset now I don't have a life, struggling just to get out of bed. Up for one hour and I want to sleep all day. You can do that when you are dead. Why can't a doctor listen! I don't care about these tests. They don't work for my symptoms. If you don't have a life just better to be dead. If I didn't have a disabled child to take care of I would just rather be dead. I hate to even talk to the doctors anymore. My medicines need to be back like they were, this is not working. Why change something when it is working!

Comment from: sassyred59, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was seeing a doctor who treated my hypothyroid symptoms rather than going by blood levels. When I moved to another city and got a new doctor, she went by blood levels only and lowered my medicine from 100 mg to 25 mg and now all my symptoms are returning; weight gain, severe heat intolerance, sweating a lot, dizzy spells, confusion, extreme fatigue, and muscle cramps in my legs and feet. I have theses blackouts that only happen occasionally when weather is hot. But my doctor refuses to believe it is my thyroid because my blood levels are in normal range. She keeps telling me it is either my heart or COPD because blackouts are not symptom of thyroid. I am trying to find a new doctor.

Comment from: hotrod, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been dealing with hypothyroidism for the past 15 to 20 years. Symptoms include excessive weight gain, low energy, nonexistent libido, brittle nails, dry skin, tired all the time, anemia, insomnia, aches and pains, and depression. Instead of being cold, I am always hot. Sometimes I can't sleep because my feet are so hot so I have to go stand in a snow bank or cold water in the tub. I have tried watching what I eat and do lots of exercise, but really struggle to lose weight. In the past 4 years my TSH has been anywhere between .05 and 14.32. Ferritin runs between 46 and 86. I am desperate for help to help me feel better.

Comment from: JJKSOTON, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have been told I have sub clinical hypothyroidism. I am on 25 mg of levothyroxine, but the dizzy spells are awful, some last 5 minutes, up to all day. My levels when first tested were 400 instead of 75. When the dizzy spell starts I need to use the toilet urgently. I am not sure how long I am supposed to be sub clinical. I do have a great doctor but she not an expert on thyroid issue.

Comment from: Kavitha M., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I got this hypothyroidism at the time of pregnancy. Later it got aborted. I feel very low by the end of the day and experience body pains, mainly my legs above ankles. I even have constipation, hair loss, fatigue, insomnia, back ache, sides ache, dizziness, depression and anxiety, iron deficiency, occasionally inability to pay attention, memory loss, irritability, impatience and I am easily exhausted. I feel very dull at times without any reason. I was never like this before. I used to be always very enthusiastic. I am unable to be normal at work even. I take thyroxin 25 mg and tests show normal.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?