Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

A Doctor's View on Hypothyroidism Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid glad does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones are important in controlling the bodies metabolism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism can vary from mild to severe. Examples of the most common hypothyroidism symptoms include weight gain, constipation, depression, feeling "run down," thinning or brittle hair or nails, intolerance to cold, loss of libido, and sleepiness. Read the entire Doctor's View

Published: July 09

I had no idea I had hypothyroidism until I had my yearly physical. I felt sleepy all day. Had weight gain and was depressed and moody. I was so tired that when I got up all I could think about was going back to bed. I also had low blood pressure. I have started taking a medication just two weeks ago. I hope this helps someone.

Published: July 08

I had weight gain, falling asleep during the day, extreme tiredness, very dry skin and brittle fingernails. I also had a very slow heart beat and a body temperature of around 96.

Published: July 08

I am a 35 year old male, and I suffered from almost all these symptoms people have had. I have a family history of hypothyroidism also. The aches were bad and so was the depression, loss of sex drive, and vertigo coupled with anxiety attacks. At times I felt like there was a "weight" holding me down. I couldn't exercise much, slept for 12 hours at a time. I had a blood test done finally and I was diagnosed. I'm happy to say I feel like I'm a teenager again, depression lifted, sex drive back , and lots of energy.. I feel more alive than ever. Get a test if you have these symptoms listed here. Your life can change like mine did. Thanks.

Published: July 07

I'm 21 years old. After my father passed away two years ago I gained 50 pounds without eating. My doctor thought it was severe depression and I believed it as I have been clinically depressed since I hit my teens. After repeatedly getting sick and dizzy and fainting more recently I had blood tests for diabetes and hypoglycemia. As a supplementary test he also did thyroid. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid! I have been on the medication for about a month now I am not noticing a change. My weight went up another 10 pounds despite diet and exercise that had helped me lose 30 pounds. I am not permitted to have caffeine while on this medication because of my already increased heart rate so I am very tired and my mood is just awful. Can anyone offer me advice?

Published: July 07

I was just diagnosed yesterday with hypothyroidism and the relief is amazing. The symptoms I have are feeling weepy all the time, fatigue, memory and concentration levels at an all time low and my skin is appalling dry and rough. I have high blood pressure and it was by a change of doctor and her giving me a full blood test to see how my hypertension was doing that it was detected. I can't even begin to explain how much better I feel knowing what the problems are caused by and that it's going to be a bit of a long road to make things better. It doesn't matter; point is it is being tackled.

Published: July 07

I have hypothyroidism due to the radioactive iodine I took when I was 20. I'm now 42 and have been taking Synthroid for years, but I still struggle with many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism: depression, fatigue, dry skin/hair, etc.

Published: July 02

I am a 45 yr old female. I have steadily put on a stone in weight, I have been so dizzy I felt sick, muscle cramps, painful joints, numbness in my arms and legs and a fuzzy head also very forgetful. I felt so ill it was scary! My doctor tried to tell me I was depressed as I have had depression before. I hope this helps other people as I started to think I was going mad! Finally, I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

Published: June 25

I am 17 years old now, and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 13. Back then, I used to look like a third-grader student lost in a bunch of second-year high school students. Everyone made fun of me. Our pediatrician suggested an endocrinologist. He found out that I have hypothyroidism. He suggested me to another doctor and that doctor suggested me to my current endocrinologist. All of them prescribed me a hormone tablet that I take an hour before breakfast. It really is effective.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?