Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

A Doctor's View on Hypothyroidism Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid glad does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones are important in controlling the bodies metabolism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism can vary from mild to severe. Examples of the most common hypothyroidism symptoms include weight gain, constipation, depression, feeling "run down," thinning or brittle hair or nails, intolerance to cold, loss of libido, and sleepiness. Read the entire Doctor's View

Published: July 08

I am a 35 year old male, and I suffered from almost all these symptoms people have had. I have a family history of hypothyroidism also. The aches were bad and so was the depression, loss of sex drive, and vertigo coupled with anxiety attacks. At times I felt like there was a "weight" holding me down. I couldn't exercise much, slept for 12 hours at a time. I had a blood test done finally and I was diagnosed. I'm happy to say I feel like I'm a teenager again, depression lifted, sex drive back , and lots of energy.. I feel more alive than ever. Get a test if you have these symptoms listed here. Your life can change like mine did. Thanks.

Published: July 07

I'm 21 years old. After my father passed away two years ago I gained 50 pounds without eating. My doctor thought it was severe depression and I believed it as I have been clinically depressed since I hit my teens. After repeatedly getting sick and dizzy and fainting more recently I had blood tests for diabetes and hypoglycemia. As a supplementary test he also did thyroid. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid! I have been on the medication for about a month now I am not noticing a change. My weight went up another 10 pounds despite diet and exercise that had helped me lose 30 pounds. I am not permitted to have caffeine while on this medication because of my already increased heart rate so I am very tired and my mood is just awful. Can anyone offer me advice?

Published: July 07

I was just diagnosed yesterday with hypothyroidism and the relief is amazing. The symptoms I have are feeling weepy all the time, fatigue, memory and concentration levels at an all time low and my skin is appalling dry and rough. I have high blood pressure and it was by a change of doctor and her giving me a full blood test to see how my hypertension was doing that it was detected. I can't even begin to explain how much better I feel knowing what the problems are caused by and that it's going to be a bit of a long road to make things better. It doesn't matter; point is it is being tackled.

Published: July 07

I have hypothyroidism due to the radioactive iodine I took when I was 20. I'm now 42 and have been taking Synthroid for years, but I still struggle with many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism: depression, fatigue, dry skin/hair, etc.

Published: July 02

I am a 45 yr old female. I have steadily put on a stone in weight, I have been so dizzy I felt sick, muscle cramps, painful joints, numbness in my arms and legs and a fuzzy head also very forgetful. I felt so ill it was scary! My doctor tried to tell me I was depressed as I have had depression before. I hope this helps other people as I started to think I was going mad! Finally, I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

Published: June 25

I am 17 years old now, and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 13. Back then, I used to look like a third-grader student lost in a bunch of second-year high school students. Everyone made fun of me. Our pediatrician suggested an endocrinologist. He found out that I have hypothyroidism. He suggested me to another doctor and that doctor suggested me to my current endocrinologist. All of them prescribed me a hormone tablet that I take an hour before breakfast. It really is effective.

Published: June 19

I had fertility treatment in order to have my children. In my pregnancy I developed gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome (hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes and low platelets). I also suffered a stroke and two cardiac arrests while pregnant. That was 9 years ago now. I am 38 and have been suffering with MANY of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I was checked by a neuro psych for my confusion, by a diet doc for my weight gain and by numerous others for adrenal and pituitary gland problems. All came back normal. My sister has been going through similar problems. Gritty eyes, tired, dark bags under eyes and swollen joints. I could go on. Her doctor did a blood test and it came back normal. However, due to her abnormal clinical presentation he put her on thyroxine a month ago and she is back to her old self! I would love to try the same. I dont know what to say to my doctor. She thinks I am over eating and just not telling her. I was put on a drug to stop me absorbing a third of the fat I eat but nothing happened. I told her it wouldnt work because I am on a vertually fat free diet. Now she wants me to go to another dietician. I have a Bsc and used to be a chef. I can do the maths. I am not putting too much in, it is just that my body is not using it up. Besides which my 30lb weight gain is not the only symptom I need help with. I intend to make another appointment and go in armed with some newly downloaded info. Wish me luck. X

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?