Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: June 12

I am 80 years old and have been taking medication for 37 years. I now take Levothroid for an underactive thyroid. I have taken 0.75 mgs for several years. I have bouts of depression which I cannot decide if it is an imbalance in my thyroid medication or if I am just suffering from an old-age syndrome.

Published: June 11

I went for my physical and spoke to my doctor about constipation and very lengthy menstrual cycles. At first, he was thinking about placing me on birth control and treating me for IBS. Then when he continued with the physical and noticed my dry, flaking skin, he said he wanted to check my thyroid. I had no other symptoms and I had even lost so much weight that I was below normal for my height. Since being placed on Synthroid, my menstrual cycles have straightened right out and my skin has never been smoother.

Published: June 09

I have had Hypothyroidism for 13 yrs. and I have taken daily Meds everyday since I was diagnosed. The symptoms for me were: Feeling Cold all the time, No appetite but gaining weight, Urinating once an hour., dry skin, hair loss, constipation, hip joint pain, Once on Meds. (1/2 replacement) I was fine, I get it checked every 6 month and my dosages have never changed.

Published: June 09

According to my doctor my T4 levels and my TSH are good. They are in the low range but they say that's okay. I feel terrible. Fatigue, losing hair like crazy and just no energy. Should I try and get my levels in the medium to high range, would that help?

Published: June 05

I have been being treated for depression for over 6 years and still feel that there is a problem with my thyroid. I cannot sleep; I am always tired and have no energy at all. I have gained about 25 pounds and have not changed any eating habits to induce this. My skin is very dry and my hair is as well, I lose alot of it in the shower. Hands swollen in the morning and just general aches and pains. I generally feel physically drained every day. I have made an appointment with my husband's physician and hopefully will get some answers soon.

Published: June 03

The confusion/depression part was the most alarming for me. What is worse, though, was that I had a doctor from a very well respected hospital who kept saying I was simply depressed. As I reported more and more symptoms of low thyroid, she kept doubling the dose of antidepressants. At long last, I went back to my family home and consulted my childhood doctor. He took some blood (something the other physician had not done), and had the answer: very low thyroid. I would suggest that my experience is probably not an isolated one. Often, I think, if a doctor sees that a patient has ever been treated for depression (as I had been), they may be tempted to ascribe later symptoms to the same thing. Patients have got to be aggressive on their own behalf. If you feel your doctor is overlooking something, or oversimplifying a situation, and that feeling lasts over time, do not hesitate to get a second opinion.

Published: May 27

The first symptoms I experienced for hypothyroidism were: sleepiness, hands tingling, droopy eyelids, swollen ankles and aching joints.

Published: May 27

My first symptoms were weight gain, irritability, and feeling tired along with insomnia. Five years later I still feel tired, and am now obese (I've gained 64 lbs.). I've been diagnosed with insulin resistance, hypoglycemia and diabetes. I have digestive issues, fatty liver disease, extremely high and fluctuating blood pressure (causing migraines and vomiting), muscle stiffness, muscle cramps, joint pain and swelling, dry rough skin, mood swings, high cholesterol, and constipation. I also was diagnosed with asthma, which turns out, wasn't asthma, but a reaction to Synthroid. I now take the generic brand, still have symptoms, but no shortness of breath. I follow a very strict diet and exercise regime to no avail, other than I think it helps me sleep better. I'm thinking of turning to alternative therapies, including natural thyroid drugs. But finding a doctor to prescribe them could be difficult.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?