Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: June 17

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism today when I received the results of a blood test run for a physical. The main symptom was fatigue. I would turn into a pumpkin and sleep on Sundays for three hours or more in the afternoon. I would need afternoon naps. I wondered why I needed so much sleep. I am a 58-year-old female. The fatigue has been going on for about a year. I am slender, and I had sensitivity to cold also.

Published: June 17

Two of the major symptoms I experienced when I developed hypothyroidism were extreme insomnia, as well as major anxiety attacks. I was also cold all the time, my skin was dry, my hair started to thin out, and I was extremely tired all the time. Aching muscles and bones were also part of my symptoms.

Published: June 16

I am a 38 years female with all the symptoms listed and a known hypothyroid patient. I am also suffering with severe cough which increases during nights and also on sleeping supine. Is this related to thyroid problem please give me suggestion

Published: June 16

It is so helpful to read what others are experiencing are the symptoms for hypothyroidism. My blood test was just returned. The TSH result was 2.436 with normal being 5.5. My Doctor faxed me the results saying it was all fine/normal. I have had a very gritty feeling in my eyes for months, no energy, depressed, 1st time ever-- difficulty sleeping (for which she gave me Ambien only to find out it is very habit forming). As it was stated by another comment. Do not give up and assume that our Dr's are always right. We must listen to our bodies and respond by looking further into the problem. I am female/age 67, have played tennis all my life and never had any real health issues. This feeling is not normal and I plan to research it. Thanks to this info on line.

Published: June 13

I had trouble swallowing. It felt like I was being strangled all the time, even when lying down. I also felt fatigue anxiety, moodiness, muscle pain (especially in the neck and shoulders), and weight gain. I thought it was depression. For years I was on an antidepressant only to find out that I have hypothyroidism. I also experienced confusion, and was very forgetful, which seemed to appear suddenly. I hope that information will help.

Published: June 13

Brain fog puffy eyes bright lights and dizziness.

Published: June 13

I have goitre. For three or four years I have been complaining of aching joints and tiredness. My former doctor gave me steroids for the aches and pains and these helped for a year or so. November I returned after 4 years to my former doctor when moving house again. She stopped the steroids as she could not see in my notes why I was given them. Since then I have had blood tests for hypothyroidism which showed everything normal. I have been getting worse. I am tired, have dry hair and loss of hair, brittle nails, gritty eyes, a lump in my throat, put on weight and the pains in my joints and muscles are much worse. Yesterday I had a scan which showed the goitre has grown considerably. I am seeing a specialist next week. If the blood tests I had last week are still showing normal is there any other way to prove the diagnosis? I'm 69 and still working 3 days a week as a skills adviser and 2 days a week voluntarily. I cannot believe what I am experiencing is just old age.

Published: June 12

I am 80 years old and have been taking medication for 37 years. I now take Levothroid for an underactive thyroid. I have taken 0.75 mgs for several years. I have bouts of depression which I cannot decide if it is an imbalance in my thyroid medication or if I am just suffering from an old-age syndrome.

Published: June 11

I went for my physical and spoke to my doctor about constipation and very lengthy menstrual cycles. At first, he was thinking about placing me on birth control and treating me for IBS. Then when he continued with the physical and noticed my dry, flaking skin, he said he wanted to check my thyroid. I had no other symptoms and I had even lost so much weight that I was below normal for my height. Since being placed on Synthroid, my menstrual cycles have straightened right out and my skin has never been smoother.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?