Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

A Doctor's View on Hypothyroidism Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid glad does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones are important in controlling the bodies metabolism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism can vary from mild to severe. Examples of the most common hypothyroidism symptoms include weight gain, constipation, depression, feeling "run down," thinning or brittle hair or nails, intolerance to cold, loss of libido, and sleepiness. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am struggling with weight loss even though I have cut out sugars and fast carbs. I have been working out for a year; however, I can not lose weight and keep it off. My weight loss keeps fluctuating between two to five pounds. I have been losing hair. I have tingling in my fingers and hands, more at bedtime than at any other time. The skin on my feet is so dry that it snags on my panty hose and causes runs. My cholesterol is staying even though I am on meds. I finally shared this with my doctor. We did the lab work, and the diagnosis is low functioning thyroid.

Comment from: Janice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

When I was 29 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I had gone a full year with many symptoms before I sought help. My mother was deathly ill and needed me so I chose to put my needs aside. When she passed I sought medical help. The first Doctor I went to told me that it was all in my head and that I was depressed and would not send me for tests because it would confirm to me that I was sick when I wasn't. I left this doctor's office in tears and thought maybe just maybe I actually was depressed yet I did not feel depressed. After about 1 month I decided to go to an other doctor and told him what had happened and he said that he would send me for tests unlike that other Quack. The test showed that my thyroid was hardly functioning. Doctors are not Gods, you can seek a second and even a third opinion. My symptoms were; Fatigue, lose of appetite, excessive weight gain, darkening over the eyes as if I was wearing eye shadow, thinning of my hair every where on the body, my thought process became a little sluggish, dry patches of skin on my face, darkening of the skin in the region of the armpits. Lets just say I had all the symptoms. I should have consulted a medical professional earlier than I did because in one year I gained approximately 80 lbs. Ever since it has been an on going battle with my weight. I can only hope that my story could help someone to not have to go through what I've been through. (A little nightmare)

Comment from: Jess101, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. But in the past year my levels were going up slowly. I started having lots of swelling in my left leg, feeling very tired after getting enough sleep, very heavy and frequent menstrual periods, and no energy. I went back to my doctor and he checked my TSH levels � they were getting higher. So he put me on Synthroid. I have been on it a month and I don't feel any changes. I am still tired, lack energy, have swelling in my leg, and am sweating more than usual. What else might help me?

Comment from: aziztoall, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

For the past few months, I've been feeling lazy and have been sleeping excessively. Apart from this, I also have muscle cramps on my left leg regularly. I have also gained a considerable amount of weight. My parents suggested that I go for a thyroid test. My level is 4.8 on the scale, which can be considered borderline. I'm not sure what to do now.

Comment from: sayalee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with sub-clinical hypothyroidism at the age of 10, but I didn't start on medicine until the age of 18. I took very it sincerely at the beginning, but it didn't help out. Now I take thyroxine sodium, 50mcg per day. I feel very sleepy and my weight is still increasing.

Comment from: Paulette, 55-64 Female Published: February 19

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in the early 90s. I was told I had Grave's disease with an apple sized goiter in my neck. All the hyper symptoms were there. I had the goiter removed and have plumped out from 110 pounds to a whopping 172! I have been told I am still hyper; but do not have the other symptoms.

Comment from: norainne, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I have been taking levothyroxine for six months now and I never ever lost any weight at all. Other people I know lose weight quite easily once they have the dose right. I take 100 mg every day and I get heart palpitations.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?