Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: sayalee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with sub-clinical hypothyroidism at the age of 10, but I didn't start on medicine until the age of 18. I took very it sincerely at the beginning, but it didn't help out. Now I take thyroxine sodium, 50mcg per day. I feel very sleepy and my weight is still increasing.

Comment from: Paulette, 55-64 Female Published: February 19

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in the early 90s. I was told I had Grave's disease with an apple sized goiter in my neck. All the hyper symptoms were there. I had the goiter removed and have plumped out from 110 pounds to a whopping 172! I have been told I am still hyper; but do not have the other symptoms.

Comment from: norainne, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I have been taking levothyroxine for six months now and I never ever lost any weight at all. Other people I know lose weight quite easily once they have the dose right. I take 100 mg every day and I get heart palpitations.

Published: July 09

I had no idea I had hypothyroidism until I had my yearly physical. I felt sleepy all day. Had weight gain and was depressed and moody. I was so tired that when I got up all I could think about was going back to bed. I also had low blood pressure. I have started taking a medication just two weeks ago. I hope this helps someone.

Published: July 08

I had weight gain, falling asleep during the day, extreme tiredness, very dry skin and brittle fingernails. I also had a very slow heart beat and a body temperature of around 96.

Published: July 08

I am a 35 year old male, and I suffered from almost all these symptoms people have had. I have a family history of hypothyroidism also. The aches were bad and so was the depression, loss of sex drive, and vertigo coupled with anxiety attacks. At times I felt like there was a "weight" holding me down. I couldn't exercise much, slept for 12 hours at a time. I had a blood test done finally and I was diagnosed. I'm happy to say I feel like I'm a teenager again, depression lifted, sex drive back , and lots of energy.. I feel more alive than ever. Get a test if you have these symptoms listed here. Your life can change like mine did. Thanks.

Published: July 07

I'm 21 years old. After my father passed away two years ago I gained 50 pounds without eating. My doctor thought it was severe depression and I believed it as I have been clinically depressed since I hit my teens. After repeatedly getting sick and dizzy and fainting more recently I had blood tests for diabetes and hypoglycemia. As a supplementary test he also did thyroid. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid! I have been on the medication for about a month now I am not noticing a change. My weight went up another 10 pounds despite diet and exercise that had helped me lose 30 pounds. I am not permitted to have caffeine while on this medication because of my already increased heart rate so I am very tired and my mood is just awful. Can anyone offer me advice?

Published: July 07

I was just diagnosed yesterday with hypothyroidism and the relief is amazing. The symptoms I have are feeling weepy all the time, fatigue, memory and concentration levels at an all time low and my skin is appalling dry and rough. I have high blood pressure and it was by a change of doctor and her giving me a full blood test to see how my hypertension was doing that it was detected. I can't even begin to explain how much better I feel knowing what the problems are caused by and that it's going to be a bit of a long road to make things better. It doesn't matter; point is it is being tackled.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?