Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: November 07

I have experienced many symptoms for a number of years. In fact, I was treated for depression instead of hypothyroidism for several years. At times, I thought I was "losing my mind" it was so severe. My symptoms included: confusion, inability to think clearly, total lack of energy, exhaustion, loss of interest in "everything," aches and pains (mainly in my legs/ankles/feet), and gained 35 pounds despite a lack of appetite. This has been a long struggle for me with problems at home and work (to be expected when I cannot think clearly). However, things are improving now -- there is hope!

Comment from: Beck05, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2009. Now, I am experiencing thinning and hair loss, skin dryness, scalp and body itching. I am very concerned my thyroid is not being treated properly. I take Synthroid (75 mcg), and Cytomel (5 mcg.). I was also diagnosed last year with metabolic syndrome, and pre-diabetes.

Comment from: debs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had my right thyroid out 6 years ago and since then I have gained weight. I am having daily headaches, sore shoulders, always cold even in summer and so depressed I can't think straight. Doctors do blood tests and say thyroid is fine, I've been given antidepressants and sent away but I don't want antidepressants. I just want to get my life back, not be tired, fat, depressed, moody and sore.

Comment from: Tanner, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

I am nurse and I also have a low thyroid. One of the symptoms of hypothyroidism can be depression. You may need an antidepressant; I did. I put it off for so long and now that I have relief, I wonder why I waited so long. Something to explore with your doctor anyway.

Comment from: quincy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have hoarseness, pain and stiffness, no tolerating the cold, depressed and somewhat tired. I have constant dry feet, fingers, lips and eyes.

Published: July 09

I am a female 44 yrs old - for the last 3 years I have suffered a progression of symptoms from hair loss, dry skin, fatigue, dizziness, constipation, erratic heavy periods, muscle aches & pains, foggy head, memory failure etc.etc. I have seen endless doctors & specialists - mainly at my own expense - because I would not accept their diagnosis that I was depressed or it was simply my age! My thyroid blood tests are all within the normal range - I contacted Thyroid UK and diagnosed myself as hypothyroid from the info on their website. I finally saw a Dr he diagnosed me from all of my symptoms - many people are hypo even though the blood tests are "within the normal range". Don't waste time doubting yourself - if your GP doesn't believe you find a doctor who works outside the ridiculous NHS restrictions and get treatment. It is estimated that about 1 million people are hypo but undiagnosed/refused treatment by the NHS because they treat the blood tests as gospel. I have been taking thyroxine since April and slowly my life is returning - I still have a long way to go but at least I am on the right track now. Don't accept what the doctors tell you if you know better - there is hope.

Published: June 26

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism yesterday. I was excited. As weird as that sounds, I had struggled for so long with so many of the symptoms: swollen legs, hairloss, fatigue, my mind slipping, my sporadic periods, being cold then hot and severe muscle cramps. It was my sever muscle cramps that actually scared me just last week to the point they made me go to the doctor to get the blood work. I had made an excuse for everything: old age. I just turned 50 and now is the time for the body to go! I'm so excited to get myself back! I started on the medication this morning.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?