Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: November 07

I have experienced many symptoms for a number of years. In fact, I was treated for depression instead of hypothyroidism for several years. At times, I thought I was "losing my mind" it was so severe. My symptoms included: confusion, inability to think clearly, total lack of energy, exhaustion, loss of interest in "everything," aches and pains (mainly in my legs/ankles/feet), and gained 35 pounds despite a lack of appetite. This has been a long struggle for me with problems at home and work (to be expected when I cannot think clearly). However, things are improving now -- there is hope!

Comment from: quincy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have hoarseness, pain and stiffness, no tolerating the cold, depressed and somewhat tired. I have constant dry feet, fingers, lips and eyes.

Published: July 09

I am a female 44 yrs old - for the last 3 years I have suffered a progression of symptoms from hair loss, dry skin, fatigue, dizziness, constipation, erratic heavy periods, muscle aches & pains, foggy head, memory failure etc.etc. I have seen endless doctors & specialists - mainly at my own expense - because I would not accept their diagnosis that I was depressed or it was simply my age! My thyroid blood tests are all within the normal range - I contacted Thyroid UK and diagnosed myself as hypothyroid from the info on their website. I finally saw a Dr he diagnosed me from all of my symptoms - many people are hypo even though the blood tests are "within the normal range". Don't waste time doubting yourself - if your GP doesn't believe you find a doctor who works outside the ridiculous NHS restrictions and get treatment. It is estimated that about 1 million people are hypo but undiagnosed/refused treatment by the NHS because they treat the blood tests as gospel. I have been taking thyroxine since April and slowly my life is returning - I still have a long way to go but at least I am on the right track now. Don't accept what the doctors tell you if you know better - there is hope.

Published: June 26

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism yesterday. I was excited. As weird as that sounds, I had struggled for so long with so many of the symptoms: swollen legs, hairloss, fatigue, my mind slipping, my sporadic periods, being cold then hot and severe muscle cramps. It was my sever muscle cramps that actually scared me just last week to the point they made me go to the doctor to get the blood work. I had made an excuse for everything: old age. I just turned 50 and now is the time for the body to go! I'm so excited to get myself back! I started on the medication this morning.

Published: June 25

I am a 49-year-old female. I always knew I had a family history of hypothyroidism (my father, his two sister as well as their mother were all diagnosed in their late forties to early fifties) but I didn't have health insurance so hadn't been to see my physician for an exam for over eight years. However, I didn't know there were symptoms for which I should have been vigilant. I started becoming increasingly constipated over the last two to three years. I also began to become increasingly less tolerant of cold. My periods became erratic then quit all together. I slowly began to gain weight (over two years about 20 pounds). I began to feel more and more "bloated" with no appetite. I became increasingly depressed and mentally "fuzzy," forgetting things and just not feeling like myself in terms of mental acuity. I was able to see my physician three weeks ago. I didn't think to mention ANY of these symptoms because I had pretty much justified all of them in my mind, making the assumption they were all "natural" lifecycle changes. My physician took blood work including TSH level, and he put me on levothyroxine three weeks ago. I am starting to feel more like my old self, though I am still working on building up my energy reserve. I just started my period yesterday, which my physician said was due to getting my thyroid level back in the "normal" range.

Comment from: MJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

After three years of hell, two miscarriages, fatigue hairless, headaches, sleeping all the time, I have finally been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Funny to hear the doctor say on many occasions that I was depressed. I wasn't depressed just frustrated with the decrease in my energy and ability to do the normal day things.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?