Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: howiegirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the age of 26 after years of having the usual symptoms of depression and brain fog especially. I'm 42 years young now, but for the past year, I cannot stop putting on weight. My endocrinologist found I had an insensitivity to generic levothyroxine where my body wasn't processing it at all and my thyroid levels were a mess, and I switched to brand specific about seven months ago. After three months, my thyroid levels are heading back to the normal range of where they used to be (TSH of almost zero). Still, the weight goes up and up, despite eating very healthy (no processed foods or refined sugar). My endocrinologist just tells me to eat healthy and exercise, but it's not working. I have gained weight rather than lost. I am not sure what to do. I'm reaching the scales at 160 lb. at 5'3'', when I was at 130 lb. before my weight gain.

Comment from: poonsoo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

At 37, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My symptoms were extreme fatigue, very slow metabolism to the point that I would stop breathing while sleeping, hair loss on my head and legs, weight gain, and dry skin, but unlike others, also heat intolerance. I went to see a doctor because I stopped breathing while sleeping and would fall asleep during the day. I have been on medication for over 11 years now. Lately, I have been getting new symptoms (i.e., hot flashes around my ears, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, one eyelid drooping, and head tension headaches).

Comment from: Jimmy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I had done the blood test last week. I found that my T3 is low but T4 and TSH are normal. I have some symptoms of hypothyroidism like fatigue, hair loss, problem in sleeping, and dry skin. Also I have one strange problem, bad body odor. My body smell very bad, anybody can smell it from a distance. It happens even just after I take a bath.

Comment from: Noelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had every symptom for hypothyroidism I think! Fatigue, weight gain for no reason, unable to lose weight, pain, joint pain, brain fog, memory loss, dry skin, hair loss, brittle nails, dental problems; the list goes on. There are actually over 300 possible symptoms to hypothyroidism. I have Hashimoto's, so because it's autoimmune I now have to watch my diet closely. I started on Levoxyl and took it for 9 years, then made the switch to Armour thyroid. It treated my symptoms, where the synthetic medications seem to only treat TSH for many of us.

Comment from: Nurdreamshm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid at 29 years of age. I gained 125 lb. over a year trying to find out why I was getting fat. I was put on 50 mcg Synthroid. I had normal TSH levels but kept gaining weight. My dose was put all the way up to 150 mcg but I continued to gain. I was on an 1100 calorie diet and had to exercise for no less than 3 hours a day, but I kept gaining. My endocrinologist swore I was lying in my food journal. I was still cold all the time, nails peeling and cracking, lizard skin and missing my periods altogether. Now I"m almost 300 lb. I went to a new doctor. I was put on Armour Thyroid, and lost 60 lb. without exercising. Most of my problems were gone. My skin never got back to being silky like before thyroid issues, but my period was back to normal, I lost weight and overall felt better. From my experience all Endocrinologist believe that Synthroid is the cure all. It is not.

Comment from: Gabby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was 29 when all of a sudden I started gaining a lot of weight, my hair was falling out like crazy, but since I have a lot of it, I wasn"t really concerned. My skin was very, very dry, I was so very cold, more and more and I was so sleepy and tired all the time, which was unusual for me because, on the contrary, I had always experimented trouble falling asleep and would sleep less than the average person. My prolactin levels were high and the general opinion was that I probably had an abscess in my brain (what!). So, luckily for me, the doctor I was supposed to see was not there that day and a well-seasoned internal medicine doctor saw me. In five minutes he asked me all the questions pertaining to symptoms of hypothyroidism and I had them all. He ordered tests and sure enough, my thyroid was so out of whack. A couple of years had gone by before anyone could tell me what was wrong. I kept looking at the symptoms isolated from one another, finding a reasonable cause for each one.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?