Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: debs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had my right thyroid out 6 years ago and since then I have gained weight. I am having daily headaches, sore shoulders, always cold even in summer and so depressed I can't think straight. Doctors do blood tests and say thyroid is fine, I've been given antidepressants and sent away but I don't want antidepressants. I just want to get my life back, not be tired, fat, depressed, moody and sore.

Comment from: Tanner, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

I am nurse and I also have a low thyroid. One of the symptoms of hypothyroidism can be depression. You may need an antidepressant; I did. I put it off for so long and now that I have relief, I wonder why I waited so long. Something to explore with your doctor anyway.

Comment from: jj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 21. I am 54 now. I started feeling "a little tired" back then and a doctor put me on Synthroid. It helped me for many years. When I was 36, I started having severe joint pain, rashes on my face, severe fatigue, hair loss, etc. I was diagnosed with lupus. A doctor put me on steroids. I had always been thin and had lots of energy. I gained 60 lbs. in 3 months! I started going downhill after that. Now I have diabetes, depression, osteoarthritis, and there is no tissue left between my joints! I have had elbow surgery and on December 5th, I will have total knee replacements in both knees! None of the doctors can keep my thyroid or sugar levels on track! I can barely walk and I am so sluggish, I don't even want to wake up in the morning. I've never been able to lose any weight which adds to the depression! This is not a "pity party". I just want people out there to know when your body starts to feel like something is wrong, it is! My health problems have some of the same symptoms, so the doctors don't even know which one is causing my problems! I'm just overwhelmed and disgusted.

Comment from: Marie81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

Hello all. I read up on this stuff all the time. I'm 32. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid at age 16! They put me on medications but insurance was not available for me. I quit taking the medications at 18. I was the person who was never tired not even at bedtime. Woke up just fine every morning. I could get everything done I needed in one day. I often cleaned my home top to bottom in one day. Man the energy I had. I was always hungry I ate insane amounts of food! Never gained or lost a pound. I got real sick during my pregnancy at age 24. I was a crazy person. Ran off, cried every time I saw my doctor. I was a mess. They tested me and there was not a lot they could do because I was a mess. And my levels were normal! But my neck was big! One night I started having crazy feelings. I could not get my heart to slow down. I was fainting. I went to the ER and my resting pulse was 120. I was having a storm. They tested my levels and did not find anything! I had an appointment the next day with an endocrinologist. They set me up with lab. I drank this liquid and went under a machine to get an accurate thyroid count. It was crazy! The doctor was astonished when the result came back that one of my levels was over 1000< he called it a thyroxin storm. He said it's deadly. Within that week I was having radioactive iodine to dissolve my glands. (My diagnosis was graves' disease) I left my family ten days. I came home and waited. Hey said they would not I've me my meds till I ran out of hormones in my body (crash). Took three months but it happened crazy! One day I woke up and could not get out of bed. My body was so tired. I barely could walk. I stumbled my speech and was exhausted. I went to doctor. Put me on oral steroids and high dose hormones in my case then lowered to level. Bad thing was my appetite was still the same. But my body was not! I have suffered all these years with hair loss, weight gain, mood swings, crazy bouts if sex drive issues, periods all over the board. I have the above and major leg cramps, body aches, ingrown hairs, facial hair, increased testosterone, feet swelling, feet sweating, tired spells, frequent yawning. And more. Not sure what was better hyper or hypo. the meds make a huge difference in how bad the symptoms are. These symptoms are always here. However tasking the pills just for a week change things some. I've been on medications for years occasionally I'm broke and skip a month and it shows to me and all around me. There is only way to lose weight with hypothyroid. My endocrinologist put me on a diet for hypoglycemic. 6 to 10 small meals or snacks all day. No pop or caffeine. Cut the salt. Salt free crackers with tuna. Exercise 30 minutes a day everyday (must sweat and increase heart rate) it works I lost 35lbs in 30 days! However with my condition I had no motivation and was tired it did not last long. I felt great and quit and now I'm up and extra 50 lbs. It's hard stay dedicated and have positive people around to help. No one around me understands or attempts to. Do not take anything with your medications. It jacks it all up! Set an alarm just for your medications. Make sure it's 45 to 1 hour before breakfast and coffee. The pill has to get in your system. Most all foods have iron and other things that will force some of your meds out. Coffee will make it go instant! Only water and that pill everything else after 1 hour. It's hard but a must. Your doctor could be over prescribing you if you are taking medications then drinking coffee or pop. Because your body is slowed down and needs the time to absorb it alone. Ok I'm done preaching. Just listen to the doctor.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?