Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Kathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

My initial symptoms of hypothyroidism included depression, itchy skin and really itchy scalp. This worsened and severe muscle pains added to it (misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia and arthritis). I went to a doctor who diagnosed it as Hashimoto's but would not start therapy because the T4 levels were right on the border in the normal range (+3). At that time I was begging for some help. I started getting brain fog, losing large gaps in time, and finally I started stuttering (I had never stuttered before in my life). My memory got to the point that I thought I must have early stage Alzheimer's. I finally went to a doctor who was willing to treat the Hashimoto's with Synthroid. The symptoms got better almost immediately. I am now on 100 mg of Synthroid daily. I still have vision problems and some depression but the pain, memory and brain problem have improved greatly.

Comment from: mamafs214, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was 18 when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I gained about 50 lb., felt extremely exhausted all the time, very dizzy, and my hair was falling out. I went to the doctor and was told I had hypothyroidism, and have been on levothyroxine since. My hands are always freezing, and I often feel dizzy still, and have very bad anxiety still. But I can't seem to gain weight now.

Comment from: jlady2780, Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have TSH of 0.109 and with hypothyroidism. I'm losing my hair, dealing with depression and memory and focus loss.

Comment from: howiegirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the age of 26 after years of having the usual symptoms of depression and brain fog especially. I'm 42 years young now, but for the past year, I cannot stop putting on weight. My endocrinologist found I had an insensitivity to generic levothyroxine where my body wasn't processing it at all and my thyroid levels were a mess, and I switched to brand specific about seven months ago. After three months, my thyroid levels are heading back to the normal range of where they used to be (TSH of almost zero). Still, the weight goes up and up, despite eating very healthy (no processed foods or refined sugar). My endocrinologist just tells me to eat healthy and exercise, but it's not working. I have gained weight rather than lost. I am not sure what to do. I'm reaching the scales at 160 lb. at 5'3'', when I was at 130 lb. before my weight gain.

Comment from: poonsoo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

At 37, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My symptoms were extreme fatigue, very slow metabolism to the point that I would stop breathing while sleeping, hair loss on my head and legs, weight gain, and dry skin, but unlike others, also heat intolerance. I went to see a doctor because I stopped breathing while sleeping and would fall asleep during the day. I have been on medication for over 11 years now. Lately, I have been getting new symptoms (i.e., hot flashes around my ears, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, one eyelid drooping, and head tension headaches).

Comment from: Jimmy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I had done the blood test last week. I found that my T3 is low but T4 and TSH are normal. I have some symptoms of hypothyroidism like fatigue, hair loss, problem in sleeping, and dry skin. Also I have one strange problem, bad body odor. My body smell very bad, anybody can smell it from a distance. It happens even just after I take a bath.

Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?