Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Causes

If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?

Comment from: Doodle, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

During surgery for hyperparathyroidism, the surgeon found that I had a knotty, fibrous goiter. I had a partial thyroidectomy. My last blood test showed a TSH level of 82, so my thyroid is working. It's nearly 2 years since I had my surgery. I was 63 years old at the time. I had a double heart bypass 2 years before that.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?