Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis

What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?

Comment from: Mick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I suffered from extremely heavy periods for 3 years, 2 weeks on 1 week off. I wore super tampon and overnight pad and still was changing every half hour. I went to the doctor and he wanted to put me on birth control to regulate. I went to another doctor, I was ready to have surgery, anything to stop it. She asked if I had ever had my thyroid tested. Sure enough it was low. I started on medication, it took a little while and several blood tests to get the dosage right, but my symptoms steadily improved. Three years of suffering cured by one tiny little pill a day. It's the only medication I have ever taken religiously. I wish the other doctor would have thought of this possibility and I wouldn"t have had to suffer so long. Funny thing is, the throat doctor she sent me too to prescribe and regulated my dosage refused to believe that my thyroid could have caused my horrible persistent periods. I know differently.

Comment from: Barbie at 50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

At age 50 I suddenly lost 15 pounds and was elated, I had not been a size 4 in years. Then I started getting heavy periods, changing a super tampon every half hour. My hands and feet ached. At times I could not even turn the door knob. I had no memory and felt like I was getting Alzheimer's. Then came the hot flashes, night and day. I could not sleep. I gained 20 pounds in about 4 months. I thought this menopause nonsense is for the birds. I went to the doctor to get on hormone medicine. I found out it was hypothyroidism. It was at 12.97. I feel much better but tough to get the weight off.

Comment from: carrieanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am currently taking Levothyroxine. The problem was found two months ago when I went for a health exam. I was very surprised because I didn't know the symptoms. So far, I have not gained or lost weight and I sleep well. Some days I have less energy and mild depression but attribute it to the loss of my husband, who died in 2011 after nearly 45 years of marriage.

Comment from: Island girl, 45-54 Female Published: March 22

I have been hypothyroid for 13 years, since the birth of my first child. I am gaining weight and am now at 70 kg. No form of diet or exercise helps. I need advice from anyone as to what I cold do and if there is hope for me.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?