Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience

Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.

Comment from: Carmen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been suffering from hypothyroidism for the last 18 years. When I first had the symptoms I used to wake up in the morning after a good night's sleep and couldn't do the cleaning, I had to go back to bed. I went back and forth to the doctor for a whole 3 months and he used to tell me that I had depression but I didn't want to take any anti-depressants, I knew I had something else. Then one day I heard on the radio a doctor explaining the symptoms of hypothyroidism and went straight to my doctor to have some blood tests. When the tests revealed what I had I was relieved! I felt I was born again; with just a small tablet I gained my strength again and still am strong. I never gained weight, I prepare healthy cooked meals and exercise frequently. I am on levothyroxine and take 100 mg every day.

Comment from: Linda95959, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I am 73 years old and I have had the symptoms of hypothyroidism all my life. At age 21 I was told that I have narcolepsy. So I have taken dextroamphetamine since. In my sixties I developed high blood pressure and was put on a medication for that. One doctor suggested that I had hypothyroidism and put on the artificial stuff to no avail. I tried the natural stuff to no avail. I looked at my tests and they all said I was normal in my THS reading so I stopped taking the stuff. All of my medical team seem to think that my thyroid is normal. I disagree. My feet are numb and cold and tinselly. My hair is thinning. I am constantly dieting to lose weight. I can't sleep at night. My sleep habits are two hours and that's it.

Comment from: precious, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism. I am only 24! It runs on both sides of my family. My dad is on medication for it, my aunt on dad's side, and grandparents on both side have it. I am exhausted all the time, and my body puffs up at night. I eat all the right foods and go the gym and am still 20 pounds overweight. I am often just a bloated, puffy mess - can't even get my rings off! I have a lousy immune system, had to receive gamma globulin infusions in grade school and junior high. I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue. I suffer from panic/anxiety disorder which I think would indicate hyperthyroidism... I don't think I have ever had my thyroid function checked! My first cousin has thyroid cancer at 40. Aren't I just too young!

Comment from: rakhi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have been suffering from muscular and joint pains for the last 5 to 6 years. The peripheral veins started swelling with blockages here and there giving pain in legs. I could not walk because of pain. Hair fell. I could not raise my hands. My collar and back were paining. I was feeling always sleepy due to fatigue. As a result, I lost concentration. I suspect that the decay of almost all my teeth is due to hypothyroidism. Another symptom was dysentery. Altogether, the hypothyroidism rendered me in an unfit mood always with no interest for anything.

Comment from: 71Patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I never gained weight no matter what I ate. I was envied by friends who were dieting. About five years ago I started gaining weight. I could diet (went through many) and would lose but immediately gain it back. After research, I asked my doctor to run the hypothyroid test to rule it out and then find me a diet to lose the extra pounds. The test was positive and I was told that when the medication was adjusted for me, I'd be able to lose weight, no problem! Right! So now I've been on medication for four years, am still overweight, still trying to lose it, still asking doctors for help in losing it with only the response 'Let's test your thyroid again.' I've researched diets for those with this problem but different things help different people and so far I've not found one that helps me.

Comment from: 20Female, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I actually found out I had hypothyroidism when I was 18. I was always feeling tired. I had shortness of breath and ended up going to the hospital. The doctors requested an ultrasound and they figured out I had hypothyroidism. Until now I'm taking levothyroxine. I'm still struggling with losing weight. But my doctor says I'm in shape. I'm trying to find natural ways to treat it.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?