Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience

Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.

Comment from: chrksun5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been trying to lose weight for the past 11 years. I have gone so extreme as to only eat grapefruit and water for 3 weeks and gained 5 pounds. My hair has been thinning for the past year. I can sleep for 10 hours and wake up exhausted. I have a constant cough. I have had the lab tests done four times and all say I am within normal limits for the thyroid. I am at my wit's end. Now my doctor wants me to do a 24 hour iodine uptake test. All I want is to stop feeling awful and nearing normal limits.

Comment from: 45FEMALE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Years and years of being tired finally caught up with me. Anemia was ruled out. It started to frighten me. I would sleep almost 6 to 8 hours a night, be up for about four hours and want a nap badly. Then when I did get a nap, I would be out for 3 to 4 hours. Then up for about four hours and by that time it was bed time all over again. I also have high cholesterol. About three weeks before my diagnosis I noticed foods tasted off and my smells were off too (I knew I wasn"t sick). My primary doctor ran a TSH blood test. It came back showing I have hypothyroidism. I was thrilled. I wasn"t crazy, there really was something off. I have been on the medicine for a couple weeks now. I feel amazing. I can sleep for 6 hours at night and go all day without a nap!

Comment from: aubs, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I haven"t been able to lose weight for almost two years. I went to my doctor's office and told her that I think I have hypothyroidism but the nurse said I probably don't. I have all the symptoms and I am still getting a blood test done on Tuesday for it. I worked out every day for about six months last year. I spent three hours at the gym each day and I would walk two miles after work and I could not lose any weight so I am hoping that this is the reason why and I can get on some type of medication to lose weight.

Comment from: MAP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I have been diagnosed with a mass on my thyroid for about 4 years. I've been to a number of different doctors and heard anything from it's your calorie intake (which is about 1000 a day) to it's in my head; till I found the specialist I have been seeing for about 3 years. She diagnosed that I have hypothyroidism but none of the symptoms except for the mass. So I changed my diet and exercise 4 to 6 times a week. Plus the mass changes size from year to year. It's extremely frustrating that I'm maintaining my current weight and don't lose anything but 2 pounds.

Comment from: Alondra, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I'm an 18 years, since I was little I've been having constant cold feet and hands. it drives me crazy still to this day. I can't seem to get them warm, it's that intense. Also a very painful muscle ache happens randomly in my calves. Not long ago I was going bald in one spot of my head. All these symptoms don't make sense but it's getting me concerned. I don't think of it as something serious, but from what I have been researching all these symptoms fall under the condition hypothyroidism.

Comment from: Sing, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I gave birth to my 3rd child three years ago. Recently I had mood swings and weight increases. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. Doctor gave me 25mg of Euthyrox for a month and 50mg for the following month. I did some research that Euthyrox will cause cancer in the long run. Hence I decided not to start with Euthyrox. I am taking stem cell tablet now. Let"s see what the results are in 2 months' time.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Yes, after much studying and researching and trying natural remedies for my various symptoms over the years, I suggested to the last 2 or three doctors that maybe it could be my thyroid. Until, I met a wonderful physician's assistant this month, none of them tested me for it. She did and now we are dealing with the culprit of having a 74 reading with a massive hypothyroid issue. The only reason that the blood tests didn't show it previously is because I did not have health insurance until now and the physician's assistant explained to me that the previous doctors would have needed to specify an added test to the normal blood tests requested. I'm so glad, that someone finally listened!

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?