Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience

Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.

Comment from: stardust, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have hypothyroidism and am losing weight. I used to weigh 128 pounds and in about 6 months I lost 23 pounds I am 105 pounds now. I wonder if that is normal or if there is something else causing the weight loss.

Comment from: 20Female, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I actually found out I had hypothyroidism when I was 18. I was always feeling tired. I had shortness of breath and ended up going to the hospital. The doctors requested an ultrasound and they figured out I had hypothyroidism. Until now I'm taking levothyroxine. I'm still struggling with losing weight. But my doctor says I'm in shape. I'm trying to find natural ways to treat it.

Comment from: 71Patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I never gained weight no matter what I ate. I was envied by friends who were dieting. About five years ago I started gaining weight. I could diet (went through many) and would lose but immediately gain it back. After research, I asked my doctor to run the hypothyroid test to rule it out and then find me a diet to lose the extra pounds. The test was positive and I was told that when the medication was adjusted for me, I'd be able to lose weight, no problem! Right! So now I've been on medication for four years, am still overweight, still trying to lose it, still asking doctors for help in losing it with only the response 'Let's test your thyroid again.' I've researched diets for those with this problem but different things help different people and so far I've not found one that helps me.

Comment from: chrksun5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been trying to lose weight for the past 11 years. I have gone so extreme as to only eat grapefruit and water for 3 weeks and gained 5 pounds. My hair has been thinning for the past year. I can sleep for 10 hours and wake up exhausted. I have a constant cough. I have had the lab tests done four times and all say I am within normal limits for the thyroid. I am at my wit's end. Now my doctor wants me to do a 24 hour iodine uptake test. All I want is to stop feeling awful and nearing normal limits.

Comment from: 45FEMALE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Years and years of being tired finally caught up with me. Anemia was ruled out. It started to frighten me. I would sleep almost 6 to 8 hours a night, be up for about four hours and want a nap badly. Then when I did get a nap, I would be out for 3 to 4 hours. Then up for about four hours and by that time it was bed time all over again. I also have high cholesterol. About three weeks before my diagnosis I noticed foods tasted off and my smells were off too (I knew I wasn"t sick). My primary doctor ran a TSH blood test. It came back showing I have hypothyroidism. I was thrilled. I wasn"t crazy, there really was something off. I have been on the medicine for a couple weeks now. I feel amazing. I can sleep for 6 hours at night and go all day without a nap!

Comment from: aubs, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I haven"t been able to lose weight for almost two years. I went to my doctor's office and told her that I think I have hypothyroidism but the nurse said I probably don't. I have all the symptoms and I am still getting a blood test done on Tuesday for it. I worked out every day for about six months last year. I spent three hours at the gym each day and I would walk two miles after work and I could not lose any weight so I am hoping that this is the reason why and I can get on some type of medication to lose weight.

Comment from: MAP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I have been diagnosed with a mass on my thyroid for about 4 years. I've been to a number of different doctors and heard anything from it's your calorie intake (which is about 1000 a day) to it's in my head; till I found the specialist I have been seeing for about 3 years. She diagnosed that I have hypothyroidism but none of the symptoms except for the mass. So I changed my diet and exercise 4 to 6 times a week. Plus the mass changes size from year to year. It's extremely frustrating that I'm maintaining my current weight and don't lose anything but 2 pounds.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diet Question: How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?