Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Diet

How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?

Comment from: km, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

To the woman who experienced depression and exhaustion after the birth of her third child, I will relate my experience. I had similar symptoms and was very crabby following the birth of my child. My doctor put me on Mycostasin, which kills the fungus that women have following birth and causes depression. It is not possible to diagnose it, but the effects of the medication are almost instantaneous.

Comment from: paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

i am 57 years old and diabetic of type-2 since last 15 years. I have never been tested for thyroid functioning, but now my blood analysis revealed very high level of tsh (ie#82)and t4#7, as per symptoms i have very low heart beat(52),high levels of cholesterol, muscles cramps,s welling around eyes etc.

Comment from: Anuja RG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I am taking thyroxin- 2 tablets 100mgs. Off lately i am experiencing palpitation,excessive sleepiness, pains and aches in muscles and back and also get tired very fast. Let me know if i need to do anything else or change the dosage.

Comment from: Jenny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been having symptoms for 20 years now and only recently found help because most of my tests show that I'm "normal." I started treating myself by eliminating foods and I can say that being gluten-free has by far made the most difference. I'm going in for labs soon to test my free T3 and T4 values because this new doc thinks that's more important than my TSH. He uses desiccated thyroid, which he said is supposed to be bioidentical. Hopefully with that and further adjustments to what I'm eating, I'll feel myself again.

Comment from: Ladonna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been suffering with hyperthyroidism since I was a teenager and then hypothyroidism when I turned 40. I did not know what was happening to me I thought it was just normal until my body started totally freaking out.

Comment from: Kathykathy2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

My nails are brittle, my hair falls out in gobs, I get dizzy, suffer from depression, and can't lose weight although I eat a very healthy diet. My doctor says that my levels are fine. I've been taking medication for my thyroid for over 10 years. I'm so tired of these symptoms and just wish I could do something to prevent them.

Comment from: barlchris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have been taking thyroxin for many years now, and I never ever lost any weight at all. Other people I know lose weight quite easily once they have the dose right. I take 100 mls every day, but if they give me 125mils I get heart palpitations, so I would like to know what I am doing wrong.

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hypothyroidism - Treatments Question: What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience Question: Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?