Patient Comments: Hyponatremia - Experience

Please describe your experience with Hyponatremia.

Comment from: Doc in the Box, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Soccer ball versus external ear, caused perforation of the right eardrum, 1/2 of the lower anterior quadrant. There was no infection when seen, and normal audiogram.

Comment from: Alexei, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I have been in constant pain for over 2 months from costochondritis (not my first bout), pain in the back both sides, and sternum. I also have chronic sinus problems. I am kind of wondering if repeated sinus infections could be a cause, because of all the coughing. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to discuss this. Maybe reaming out my sinuses will help. I don't know. I have lost my sense of humor with this bout.

Comment from: Sodium, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with hyponatremia 2 years ago. I went to my neurologist for a follow up for seizures and my blood pressure was very low. I felt a little tired, was confused and at times collapsed. So I went to the emergency room (ER) for low blood pressure, confusion, and dehydration. I was diagnosed with hyponatremia. So I was admitted and was put on IVs and stayed until my sodium level reached to 137. The first time I went to the ER, it was at a dangerously low level of 121. Then a month later I ended up in the ER again and it was 131. I was told to stay away from water. Water dilutes the sodium and to limit my fluid intake to no more than a liter a day. I take antidepressant, seizure medication, and medicines for lupus. And the doctor is blaming these medicines for the cause of the hyponatremia. I don't believe that is the case because I've taken these medicines for years. And the neurologist and psychiatrist don't believe that these medicines are the cause for my hyponatremia.

Comment from: Flash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

First experienced asymptomatic hyponatremia was caused by thiazide diuretic. Serum sodium was 127 and I discontinued diuretic use. Two years later, I experienced symptoms of hyponatremia, nausea, vomiting, bloating, headache, and fatigue. I thought it was a virus at first. Symptoms kept recurring every few days for 3 weeks. When I was sick, I couldn't take my medications, then I would improve, resume eating and taking my medications, then would get sick again. On a hunch, I discontinued taking Celexa, and my symptoms disappeared within 2 days, although the headache lingered. After some research online, I concluded that my symptoms were the result of SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) causing hyponatremia. I've scheduled an appointment to see my doctor and get lab tests done to check my sodium levels. Wish I had contacted my doctor sooner, but there was a 'stomach virus' sweeping through my area at the time, and I just assumed that was my problem, although I have a very sturdy digestive system and hadn't even had an episode of vomiting for over 25 years. I should have suspected something else due to the recurrence of symptoms over and over again for weeks. I feel lucky I didn't end up in the hospital with seizures.

Comment from: Newlynn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 10

Please add Prozac as cause for hyponatremia! It took weeks and much investigation by medical professionals to discover that my brother's hyponatremia was caused by his Prozac! Only 10 mg dose. Thank goodness I found it by reading his medications (multiple) and he was cured after he was off the Prozac for only a few days!

Comment from: Rick...., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I suffered from trigeminal neuralgia from 2002. At first thought it was my teeth. But no; it came and went. I started getting it bad in 2011. The doctor gave me everything going and I ended up taking an overdose of different tablets. The pain in my head was unbearable and I ended up in hospital. There they gave me oxcarbazepine and gabapentin. Wow, I had instant relief; the doctor had not even heard of it. Even though in 2013 I had surgery on my brain to separate a blood vessel (artery) that was touching my trigeminal nerve. I lost nearly 2 stone after the operation; I am not bad now.

Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hyponatremia?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of low blood sodium?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you received for your low blood sodium?