Patient Comments: Hyponatremia - Experience

Please describe your experience with Hyponatremia.

Comment from: Joan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was diagnosed with hyponatremia in August 2013 for which I was admitted to the hospital on 3 different occasions during that month. My Internist thought it was caused by a tumor and he ordered a CAT scan in which a tumor was found in right lung. It turned out to be small cell cancer and I went through chemotherapy for 3 months while at the same time I also underwent radiation therapy. I've had low sodium occasionally along with hypothyroidism which seem to occur together. I've been in remission since November 2013. Presently I do suffer from low energy to exhaustion.

Comment from: cherokee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

I had pneumonia but still had dry cough. I went back to the doctor and had CAT scan to determine why my pneumonia came back. Nothing on CAT. My doctor prescribed Tessalon and Biaxin. I have energy now but still a lingering dry cough. Not all the time but sometimes.

Comment from: Doc in the Box, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Soccer ball versus external ear, caused perforation of the right eardrum, 1/2 of the lower anterior quadrant. There was no infection when seen, and normal audiogram.

Comment from: Alexei, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I have been in constant pain for over 2 months from costochondritis (not my first bout), pain in the back both sides, and sternum. I also have chronic sinus problems. I am kind of wondering if repeated sinus infections could be a cause, because of all the coughing. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to discuss this. Maybe reaming out my sinuses will help. I don't know. I have lost my sense of humor with this bout.

Comment from: Sodium, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with hyponatremia 2 years ago. I went to my neurologist for a follow up for seizures and my blood pressure was very low. I felt a little tired, was confused and at times collapsed. So I went to the emergency room (ER) for low blood pressure, confusion, and dehydration. I was diagnosed with hyponatremia. So I was admitted and was put on IVs and stayed until my sodium level reached to 137. The first time I went to the ER, it was at a dangerously low level of 121. Then a month later I ended up in the ER again and it was 131. I was told to stay away from water. Water dilutes the sodium and to limit my fluid intake to no more than a liter a day. I take antidepressant, seizure medication, and medicines for lupus. And the doctor is blaming these medicines for the cause of the hyponatremia. I don't believe that is the case because I've taken these medicines for years. And the neurologist and psychiatrist don't believe that these medicines are the cause for my hyponatremia.

Comment from: Snowqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

It all started about a week ago with chills which I didn't pay much attention to because I live in the north and have a very tender scalp. A few days ago, I started to get occasional shooting pain in my right ear. The following day a blister formed on the bridge of my nose and by night time the rash had developed on the outer edge of my eyebrow. Throughout the day, it began to feel as if I had sandpaper in my eye. Late yesterday, I noticed a lump in front of my ear. I have been fortunate that the pain is tolerable and I am mostly cold and tired. It has not been officially diagnosed by a certified doctor but my research and the rash point to shingles. It doesn't help that I already have adrenal exhaustion.

Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hyponatremia?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of low blood sodium?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you received for your low blood sodium?