Patient Comments: Hyponatremia - Experience

Please describe your experience with Hyponatremia.

Comment from: cherokee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

I had pneumonia but still had dry cough. I went back to the doctor and had CAT scan to determine why my pneumonia came back. Nothing on CAT. My doctor prescribed Tessalon and Biaxin. I have energy now but still a lingering dry cough. Not all the time but sometimes.

Comment from: Doc in the Box, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Soccer ball versus external ear, caused perforation of the right eardrum, 1/2 of the lower anterior quadrant. There was no infection when seen, and normal audiogram.

Comment from: Alexei, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I have been in constant pain for over 2 months from costochondritis (not my first bout), pain in the back both sides, and sternum. I also have chronic sinus problems. I am kind of wondering if repeated sinus infections could be a cause, because of all the coughing. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to discuss this. Maybe reaming out my sinuses will help. I don't know. I have lost my sense of humor with this bout.

Comment from: Sodium, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with hyponatremia 2 years ago. I went to my neurologist for a follow up for seizures and my blood pressure was very low. I felt a little tired, was confused and at times collapsed. So I went to the emergency room (ER) for low blood pressure, confusion, and dehydration. I was diagnosed with hyponatremia. So I was admitted and was put on IVs and stayed until my sodium level reached to 137. The first time I went to the ER, it was at a dangerously low level of 121. Then a month later I ended up in the ER again and it was 131. I was told to stay away from water. Water dilutes the sodium and to limit my fluid intake to no more than a liter a day. I take antidepressant, seizure medication, and medicines for lupus. And the doctor is blaming these medicines for the cause of the hyponatremia. I don't believe that is the case because I've taken these medicines for years. And the neurologist and psychiatrist don't believe that these medicines are the cause for my hyponatremia.

Comment from: Flash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

First experienced asymptomatic hyponatremia was caused by thiazide diuretic. Serum sodium was 127 and I discontinued diuretic use. Two years later, I experienced symptoms of hyponatremia, nausea, vomiting, bloating, headache, and fatigue. I thought it was a virus at first. Symptoms kept recurring every few days for 3 weeks. When I was sick, I couldn't take my medications, then I would improve, resume eating and taking my medications, then would get sick again. On a hunch, I discontinued taking Celexa, and my symptoms disappeared within 2 days, although the headache lingered. After some research online, I concluded that my symptoms were the result of SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) causing hyponatremia. I've scheduled an appointment to see my doctor and get lab tests done to check my sodium levels. Wish I had contacted my doctor sooner, but there was a 'stomach virus' sweeping through my area at the time, and I just assumed that was my problem, although I have a very sturdy digestive system and hadn't even had an episode of vomiting for over 25 years. I should have suspected something else due to the recurrence of symptoms over and over again for weeks. I feel lucky I didn't end up in the hospital with seizures.

Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hyponatremia?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of low blood sodium?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you received for your low blood sodium?