Patient Comments: Hyponatremia - Experience

Please describe your experience with Hyponatremia.

Comment from: Sodium, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with hyponatremia 2 years ago. I went to my neurologist for a follow up for seizures and my blood pressure was very low. I felt a little tired, was confused and at times collapsed. So I went to the emergency room (ER) for low blood pressure, confusion, and dehydration. I was diagnosed with hyponatremia. So I was admitted and was put on IVs and stayed until my sodium level reached to 137. The first time I went to the ER, it was at a dangerously low level of 121. Then a month later I ended up in the ER again and it was 131. I was told to stay away from water. Water dilutes the sodium and to limit my fluid intake to no more than a liter a day. I take antidepressant, seizure medication, and medicines for lupus. And the doctor is blaming these medicines for the cause of the hyponatremia. I don't believe that is the case because I've taken these medicines for years. And the neurologist and psychiatrist don't believe that these medicines are the cause for my hyponatremia.

Comment from: Flash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

First experienced asymptomatic hyponatremia was caused by thiazide diuretic. Serum sodium was 127 and I discontinued diuretic use. Two years later, I experienced symptoms of hyponatremia, nausea, vomiting, bloating, headache, and fatigue. I thought it was a virus at first. Symptoms kept recurring every few days for 3 weeks. When I was sick, I couldn't take my medications, then I would improve, resume eating and taking my medications, then would get sick again. On a hunch, I discontinued taking Celexa, and my symptoms disappeared within 2 days, although the headache lingered. After some research online, I concluded that my symptoms were the result of SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) causing hyponatremia. I've scheduled an appointment to see my doctor and get lab tests done to check my sodium levels. Wish I had contacted my doctor sooner, but there was a 'stomach virus' sweeping through my area at the time, and I just assumed that was my problem, although I have a very sturdy digestive system and hadn't even had an episode of vomiting for over 25 years. I should have suspected something else due to the recurrence of symptoms over and over again for weeks. I feel lucky I didn't end up in the hospital with seizures.

Comment from: Newlynn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 10

Please add Prozac as cause for hyponatremia! It took weeks and much investigation by medical professionals to discover that my brother's hyponatremia was caused by his Prozac! Only 10 mg dose. Thank goodness I found it by reading his medications (multiple) and he was cured after he was off the Prozac for only a few days!

Comment from: Saundra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am bipolar and I take lots of drugs for anxiety, depression, acid reflux, sinuous infection, sleeping aid. My blood pressure went high and I was put on another drug. I began to have falls and urine infection. When I went to the doctor he discovered my pulse was low and a blood test revealed my sodium was low. The blood pressure drug was causing dehydration and hyponatremia.

Comment from: Drink tender coconut, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I used to drink lot of water and I faced all these problems, even my blood pressure also fluctuating, without knowing the cause (actually lots of water drinking that was culprit). Even the doctor also prescribed some blood pressure tablets but somehow I didn"t take it. When I get up early in the morning I noticed that I was having swollen eyes, luckily I myself identified that it"s because of excess drinking of water. I stopped drinking water (just 1 or 2 glasses) but instead I started drinking tender coconut (as you know, that is equal to your blood plasma) and all the problems were solved.

Comment from: cago, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I have hyponatremia and am HIV positive. I have had sever muscle weakness and pain for the last 5 years. All my doctors knew I had a low sodium count but never said I need to do something about this. I feel my doctors really failed me there were many things that they should have been monitoring and checking. I am saying you have to be your best advocate. Get second opinions when something doesn't seem right. Best of luck.

Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hyponatremia?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of low blood sodium?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you received for your low blood sodium?