Patient Comments: Hyponatremia - Experience

Please describe your experience with Hyponatremia.

Comment from: Saundra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am bipolar and I take lots of drugs for anxiety, depression, acid reflux, sinuous infection, sleeping aid. My blood pressure went high and I was put on another drug. I began to have falls and urine infection. When I went to the doctor he discovered my pulse was low and a blood test revealed my sodium was low. The blood pressure drug was causing dehydration and hyponatremia.

Comment from: Drink tender coconut, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I used to drink lot of water and I faced all these problems, even my blood pressure also fluctuating, without knowing the cause (actually lots of water drinking that was culprit). Even the doctor also prescribed some blood pressure tablets but somehow I didn"t take it. When I get up early in the morning I noticed that I was having swollen eyes, luckily I myself identified that it"s because of excess drinking of water. I stopped drinking water (just 1 or 2 glasses) but instead I started drinking tender coconut (as you know, that is equal to your blood plasma) and all the problems were solved.

Comment from: theblondielou, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 27

I have fluctuating values of various substances; right now blood work is showing low sodium levels (and has in the past as well). I came out of my mom"s uterus thirsty and drink a lot of green tea and caffeinated Diet Pepsi (with some decaf DP over lots of ice that melts). Watching my weight at first I used substitute salt. Most of my life I have had low pulse (in hospital once 35) and low blood pressure like upper 90s, top number. My diet currently is mostly Jell-O, pudding with protein powder, low fat peanut butter powder, nonfat milk powder 4 cups a day, 2 Greek peach yoghurt, strawberries/banana with nonfat cool whip banana split. I have no meat, never eat out and have very little processed food. I like salty food but as it increases my weight I don"t touch it. I drink to help feel full so I don"t overeat (former binge eater) so there is no way I will stop. I have migraines so I vomit once every 2 or 3 weeks. I do aerobics (45-50 min 115-135 bpm) and ballroom dancing 2 to 3 hours at a time and sweat so much I bring a fan that I use in between songs (and also have 2 or 3 fans running on me when I do aerobics). I had been taking potassium 99 mg and had stopped when I ran out. Then the low sodium test happened so I think the potassium also is important for me so I resumed the potassium and have included sodium chloride pills and am trying to consume more salt. Doctor wants a repeat test in a month.

Comment from: The bat, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I have been suffering from seizures for over 15 years. The doctor has tried me on every medication and nothing works. I get them on average once a month. I have them while I"m sleeping but it"s the postictal symptoms that are the worst. It makes me feel confused, intensely nervous, like I"m on narcotics and lasts from 3 to 15 days. I am just recovering from them after visiting the emergency room twice and after some blood tests they found my sodium levels were low. I wonder if that is what has been causing these seizures the entire time. These are not fun!

Comment from: sandystarr28, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

A couple of years ago, I was in the hospital for extremely low blood pressure (40/20) (and I was still relatively alert and I had walked into ER). A couple of days after I was admitted, my sodium level plummeted. They sent me to ICU where they were giving sodium infusions, sodium tablets, and making me drink tomato juice with 6 salt packets every hour. They were also checking my sodium levels every hour as well (blood draws which pretty much destroyed my veins). It wasn't until this spring that I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and Addison's disease, which helped to explain all of the salt cravings I've had and muscle cramping. I have to take hormones (Synthroid) the rest of my life, and my levels are still a long way from stable, but at least I can understand why this has been happening to me now.

Comment from: Dr.Pathak, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

With hyponatremia my sodium level in not managed by the treatment, it's down in a week or 2 weeks. My other tests are normal and I m a high blood pressure patient.

Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hyponatremia?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of low blood sodium?
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you received for your low blood sodium?