Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?

Comment from: Gustalynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I carry glucose tablets in my purse but I find I have to have a few to get me up. It dropped at home and hit me suddenly, I felt hungry, and then I started to go to the kitchen. Then I started having the shakes. I tested my sugar and it was 52. I started walking like a drunk with difficulty to talk. I woke my husband up because I was getting drowsy, and so weak I could not stand. I started with milk while my husband fixed me with 2 wheat toasts with peanut butter and jelly and my milk. I am feeling a lot better and I will recheck the sugar. I did and it's 114, 30 minutes after eating.

Comment from: Mamab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 36 year old mother of 6 and I have had hypoglycemia for about 15 years now. I never think too much of it, if I feel like my blood sugars are getting low I eat. But I had my worst, most scary episode with it in November. I was shopping with my sister, I remember feeling like I needed to eat and the next thing I know I'm waking up in the ambulance; I had a 3 minute grand mal seizure. Never in my life have I ever had anything like this happen. My blood sugar spiked because I made sure I had my sugars before shopping and then they dropped rapidly with no major sign to me. I didn't have the feelings leading up to it as I usually do because it usually drops at a slower rate but this day it dropped fast, too fast for me to react. So know I am trying to learn how to eat making sure I have the sugars to keep it up and also the protein to hold onto the sugars longer.

Comment from: Veronica, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm 21 and found out I have hypoglycemia from when I was 7. Now it just gets worse and has gotten much worse over the past year. I have to limit my alcohol as a result of fainting. I have to eat sugary substances every couple hours now and can't be in any physical activities anymore because when my sugar drops, sometimes I even have seizures and I vomit. Sometimes I feel like it's worse than diabetes.

Comment from: corri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

My brother swears that a beer will boost his sugar levels. I prefer half an apple with peanut butter for hypoglycemia.

Comment from: K.C., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 58 years old healthy and fit woman and I have always had to be aware that if I don't nibble throughout the day, I'll feel agitated, trembly and dizzy with blurred vision. One of the odd side effects is I can skip meals and not feel Hunger pains when others do. That is dangerous to me, so I do better if I nibble, rather than force myself to eat a large meal. And yeah, I typically always have an almond joy candy bar in my purse. My family teases me that I never grew out of the love for PBJ sandwiches, probably twice a day, as a nibble to help keep the blood happy! Sliced sharp cheddar cheese and apple and a couple of peppermints makes me a blood happy gal! I've actually helped others who had the same symptoms but never knew that they were hypoglycemic, it seems to be an under emphasized medical condition.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 22

I am a 44 yo mother of two. My Father passed away 2 yrs ago, due to heart problems caused by diabetes. I was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia 15 years ago. Yesterday evening b4 leaving work, I experienced the worse case in 15 years. I am on a fast (Daniel's fast w/my church), Started on the 1st of the year for 21 days. I have been eating fruits, vegetables and 100% juice. Thought, I would be fine. For lunch, I had nothing but a broccoli, baked potato w/ chives. Just added a little salt and pepper and a cup of tangerine. I started with a headache around 2:30 or so, it got worse as time went by. At 4:45, I started sweating, shaking, anxious, severe heart palpitations, tears were rolling down my face and I wasn't trying to cry I just felt so bad. My coworker gave me crackers with peanut butter and a doctor pepper. I couldn't shake this off. When I got home, I felt so nauseated, my stomach hurt so bad and I was so hungry, though. I was too weak to even fix a sandwich. It was the worse experience ever. I thank God, it passed.

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.