Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?

Comment from: carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had reflux surgery 4 yrs ago an the did a truncal vagotomy and cause severe dumping syndrome and hypoglycemia, I had to take shots before each meal of Sandostatin for 3 years. I cannot have any sugar or a lot of carbohydrates.

Comment from: Stefani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been hypoglycemic since I was 16 and I am now 28. For me, 77 is rather low. I start having symptoms around 80 and I get extremely sick and start vomiting around 60 or 65. I've been told by many people that 80 is still within the normal range, but everyone's body is different. I have to maintain a glucose level of about 100 to feel like myself.

Comment from: Tee, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

When I was first diagnosed with hypoglycemia at 12 years old I was told that I could manage it with a diet that was high in fresh fruits and meat. That was over twelve years ago and it still works, but I feel symptoms more often now than I did when I was kid.

Published: July 28

My 26 year old son works outside in the heat all day. He is also under stress, planning his wedding. So I didn't pay a lot of attention when he came home with a headache most every day and went straight to his room for a nap. Last night, his fiancee suggested he be tested for hypoglycemia. I told him that since he had just eaten, I would check him today when he came in from work. (I have a glucose meter, as most of my family and I are Type 2 diabetics.) When I checked his blood sugar today, it was 77. Is that low enough to be considered hypoglycemic? I have noticed that sometimes his hands tremble very hard. I am worried, as I was hypoglycemic for at least three years before I swung over to being diabetic. Does anyone know if 77 is low, after him not having eaten in four hours? It seems a little low to me because I would think that if everything were okay, it should be around 90 to 100.

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.