Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?

Comment from: Nonrev1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am 26 years old and ever since puberty I would experience extreme fatigue around 2pm - 5pm. When I would lay down to sleep, my sleep would fall so deep, a dreamless sleep, all of a sudden I had no motor control over my body, I couldn't even gather enough strength to tell my brain to breath or move my leg or arm. At this time I have my eyes closed and I would be conscious. I would then fight out of this sleep which would be almost impossible to do. I would then wake up and fight the urge to go back to sleep. Then I would feel extremely hungry. These episodes would happen once every 6 to 8 weeks. My doctor to told me it was postprandial hypoglycemia and to keep a diary of what I eat. I am seeing him next week. Any thoughts in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Comment from: Sarah G, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have experienced symptoms since I was a child, I had a blood test but was not diagnosed as hypoglycemic when I had the test. Half an hour after I woke up that morning my glucose levels were 'normal', and I hadn't eaten for 12 hours, but I had just woken up normally it takes me a few hours until I get symptoms after I wake up if I don't have breakfast. Why is this? Last night I had a few drinks on an empty stomach and this morning I was frightened by how shaky and dizzy I was. I've eaten something now and feel better, but I'm still a mess.

Comment from: GLS, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I am a 72 year old male. On the 13th of December at about 3 pm, while at this computer I became somewhat disoriented (words on screen running together). I had the good sense to get to bed where I was found, unresponsive by a friend. Family members thought I was having a seizure, fighting them with all my strength they say that my strength was shocking. They did call for an ambulance and my first recognition was looking out the rear of an ambulance while strapped to a gurney. By the time we got to the hospital (about 20 miles), I was cognizant of my surroundings and somewhat alert. The medics told the doctor that my insulin levels had "bottomed out" but began the register after receiving insulin in the ambulance.

Comment from: Bornface, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 10

I am a football referee. One day, four weeks ago, having fasted for two days, I ran into hypoglycemia after a heavy physical training exercise of 5,000 meters (5 kilometers) sprinting on an empty stomach. I almost went into a coma, but I was treated at the clinic. I am still on bed-rest for a month now. I feel very weak, I sweat a lot at night, and I have heart palpitations.

Comment from: kelly2195, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My friend has diabetes and he checked my blood and it came back 12 three times I am scared I ate candy and it came up to 70. I felt tired and weak all weak now my ankles are swollen no doctors can ever find out what is wrong with me, but now I know why I never feel good.

Comment from: carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had reflux surgery 4 yrs ago an the did a truncal vagotomy and cause severe dumping syndrome and hypoglycemia, I had to take shots before each meal of Sandostatin for 3 years. I cannot have any sugar or a lot of carbohydrates.

Comment from: Stefani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been hypoglycemic since I was 16 and I am now 28. For me, 77 is rather low. I start having symptoms around 80 and I get extremely sick and start vomiting around 60 or 65. I've been told by many people that 80 is still within the normal range, but everyone's body is different. I have to maintain a glucose level of about 100 to feel like myself.

Comment from: Tee, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

When I was first diagnosed with hypoglycemia at 12 years old I was told that I could manage it with a diet that was high in fresh fruits and meat. That was over twelve years ago and it still works, but I feel symptoms more often now than I did when I was kid.

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.