Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?

Comment from: youngdude, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I have a son who is 33 years old and he had an episode that was frightened to the ER doctor he is not a diabetic at all but his sugar level dropped to 16 he was just sweating like a river he was nervous, shaking, hungry and the doctor did not know what was wrong with him he was put in intensive care unit never felt bad or was out of it but this lasted all day in ER he was given 100 percent glucose in his veins, we would like to understand more about this condition we need help to know is he in any kind of danger he has not seen a specialist they did many tests one they received back told them that there was tremendous amount of insulin in his body this young man does not take any kind of medication.

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female Published: January 22

I had my first episode at about 24. A nurse told me that low-blood sugar was sometimes hard to diagnose, sometimes confused with menstrual symptoms. I would sweaty on my neck, feel lightheaded, and my hands would get very shaky. I could tell I needed to eat right away. I had full blood work done at the doctor but they said I was fine. If I don't eat for more than 4 or 5 hours, my symptoms start. I carry snacks with me. I have never officially been diagnosed with anything, but on my first episode, a nurse checked my blood sugar level and it was very low. In the sixties.

Comment from: Nonrev1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am 26 years old and ever since puberty I would experience extreme fatigue around 2pm - 5pm. When I would lay down to sleep, my sleep would fall so deep, a dreamless sleep, all of a sudden I had no motor control over my body, I couldn't even gather enough strength to tell my brain to breath or move my leg or arm. At this time I have my eyes closed and I would be conscious. I would then fight out of this sleep which would be almost impossible to do. I would then wake up and fight the urge to go back to sleep. Then I would feel extremely hungry. These episodes would happen once every 6 to 8 weeks. My doctor to told me it was postprandial hypoglycemia and to keep a diary of what I eat. I am seeing him next week. Any thoughts in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Comment from: Sarah G, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have experienced symptoms since I was a child, I had a blood test but was not diagnosed as hypoglycemic when I had the test. Half an hour after I woke up that morning my glucose levels were 'normal', and I hadn't eaten for 12 hours, but I had just woken up normally it takes me a few hours until I get symptoms after I wake up if I don't have breakfast. Why is this? Last night I had a few drinks on an empty stomach and this morning I was frightened by how shaky and dizzy I was. I've eaten something now and feel better, but I'm still a mess.

Comment from: GLS, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I am a 72 year old male. On the 13th of December at about 3 pm, while at this computer I became somewhat disoriented (words on screen running together). I had the good sense to get to bed where I was found, unresponsive by a friend. Family members thought I was having a seizure, fighting them with all my strength they say that my strength was shocking. They did call for an ambulance and my first recognition was looking out the rear of an ambulance while strapped to a gurney. By the time we got to the hospital (about 20 miles), I was cognizant of my surroundings and somewhat alert. The medics told the doctor that my insulin levels had "bottomed out" but began the register after receiving insulin in the ambulance.

Comment from: Bornface, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 10

I am a football referee. One day, four weeks ago, having fasted for two days, I ran into hypoglycemia after a heavy physical training exercise of 5,000 meters (5 kilometers) sprinting on an empty stomach. I almost went into a coma, but I was treated at the clinic. I am still on bed-rest for a month now. I feel very weak, I sweat a lot at night, and I have heart palpitations.

Comment from: kelly2195, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My friend has diabetes and he checked my blood and it came back 12 three times I am scared I ate candy and it came up to 70. I felt tired and weak all weak now my ankles are swollen no doctors can ever find out what is wrong with me, but now I know why I never feel good.

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.