Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?

Comment from: Tony, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I had the worst hypoglycemic episode today after work. Stupidly, I ate nothing for breakfast, had two cups of coffee midday and then finally ate three meatballs at around 6 p.m. I left work at 9 p.m. and drove home. By 9:30, I was so severely disoriented, shaky and with sweaty palms that I couldn't formulate a cohesive thought. I sincerely thought I'd been drugged somehow. I did eat a sandwich and had a cup of pear cider, but it wasn't helping. After about 20 minutes, I got my roommate to drive me to the emergency room. By then, the symptoms were beginning to wane and the doctor said that it was likely just a hypoglycemic incident, since there was no evidence of anything else. It really scared me and I will not be that stupid again with my diet. I felt like I was on the brink of having a seizure.

Comment from: rydinonbk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am a 43-year-old mother of two. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia at age 27 after having terrible headaches which would last for days. I went through the regular battery of tests. I have learned to always have a snack with me, as it is very embarrassing to have someone literally carry you because you can't walk! I originally went to a dietitian and her advice was that my eating habits were very good and to cut back on ruby red grapefruit drink. I have been symptom free for about one year. I really encourage anyone with this condition to eat small snacks throughout the day (pretzels, crackers, not a lot of sweets) and also eat well-balanced meals. Never skip a meal, especially breakfast as this sets the tone for the day. I don't know if you can cure hypoglycema, but you can manage it and live a perfectly normal life. Remember to exercise also, even when you're feeling lazy!

Published: July 24

I am a mother with a 2 year old son that was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when he was 4 months old. We have to limit his protein intake, as well as check his blood sugar levels 3 times a day. He also takes medicine called Proglycem (Diazoxide) 3 times a day. It has gotten a lot more manageable.

Published: June 26

I am a 46 year old woman who has had problems with hypoglycemia since in my late teens. Mine also seems to have a hormonal link. I've learned to eat protein before sweets early in the day, and at night I have a good protein/low sugar snack before I go to bed. And I ALWAYS have my glucose tablets with me. I now have an endocrinologist who has me on the drug Precose. It's a medicine usually prescribed for diabetics, because it slows down how quickly the carbs hit my bloodstream, which for me keeps my insulin from spiking and crashing. I take it 3 times a day right before my first mouthful of a main meal. It's been a life saver!

Published: June 18

I have experienced hypoglycemic symptoms since my early teen years and am now 48. Over the years, I have found that eating often (every two hours) and combining protein and at least 4 grams of fiber at every meal or snack. Both keep blood sugar from spiking and subsequently dropping sharply. If I do indulge in a sweet desert or simple (refined) carbs, I have to have some protein with it to counteract the blood sugar spike. Recently I have starting supplementing whey protein into my diet as it's often hard for me to get enough protein through other foods. Whey protein can be purchased at health food stores and just 1 tbs. is equal to about 10 grams of protein. Also, I have to really focus on keeping stress down. Deep breathing often during stressful times helps a lot. I made the connection between stress and my hypoglycemia when I was on vacation. I noticed that even though I was eating foods that would normally cause my blood sugar to spike, I was not having the normal reaction. It occurred to me then that the only difference was that I was not under any stress at the time. Caffeine is also a definite contributor because it raises the blood sugar the same as sugar and simple carbs do.

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female Published: January 22

I had my first episode at about 24. A nurse told me that low-blood sugar was sometimes hard to diagnose, sometimes confused with menstrual symptoms. I would sweaty on my neck, feel lightheaded, and my hands would get very shaky. I could tell I needed to eat right away. I had full blood work done at the doctor but they said I was fine. If I don't eat for more than 4 or 5 hours, my symptoms start. I carry snacks with me. I have never officially been diagnosed with anything, but on my first episode, a nurse checked my blood sugar level and it was very low. In the sixties.

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.