Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: Fred, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

The cause of my hypoglycemia is probably the radical gastric surgery I underwent eight years ago (gastro-esophageal resection after removal of a malignant tumor caused by Barrett's syndrome). I can suffer attacks weekly, but sometimes they are much more frequent, often multiple times in a day. In about 50% of attacks I am able to pinpoint the trigger food or situation (stress). My symptoms are the following, varying in intensity dependent on the severity of the attack: anxiety, dizziness (unsteadiness), heavy perspiration, dulled vision, confusion, and inability to talk coherently, great tiredness, yawning, and craving for sugar.

Comment from: Emily H., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am 30 years old and today was the worst low blood sugar attack I've ever had. All my life I've known to carry snacks with me because I would get irritable and shaky if I didn't eat. Last night, I had an early dinner at 6 pm then went to sleep at 11 pm. When I woke up at 7 am, I was hunched over with serious stomach cramping which increased my heart rate because I didn't know what was going on. Then I fell to the ground and lost all vision - everything went black for several minutes until I had a sip of water. I need to get a glucose test done to see if I'm really hypoglycemic, as most nurses have said I probably am, but nothing has ever been officially diagnosed.

Comment from: Eugene, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

My hypoglycemia symptoms were nervousness, shaking in right hand and arm, palpitations, and irritability. I'm not quite confused until glucose is very low, then stupid, and tired, have chest pressure as pulse speeds up.

Comment from: rosey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had tingling and bad circulation in my hands and feet, but now I'm getting confusion because of hypoglycemia, and always hungry. I also am being treated for high blood pressure, plus I always crave sweet drinks.

Comment from: dolllbaby29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was also told that I am hypoglycemic at the emergency room after having a seizure in the street. After describing the symptoms I had before the seizure, the doctor said it sounded like a hypoglycemic seizure. After tests it was confirmed. My symptoms started with me feeling lightheaded, then I started to sweat but my hands felt cold and clammy, I then started to shake. I felt like I needed sugar (although, I didn't know I was hypoglycemic, nor did I know anything about it at that time) I went to the store and bought a soda thinking it would make me feel better. That did not work! As I was walking trying to get home, I started to feel worse and worse. I was seeing things that were not even there; like hallucinations. My heart started to race and it was like my body started to panic, but my brain was very calm. I knew that I was going to have a seizure by then and I just wanted to get home so I wouldn't have it in the street. I started slightly convulsing while I was still lucid and that was the last thing I remember. Next thing I knew I was awake on the ground with strangers around me calling an ambulance. The doctor told me that soda was the wrong thing to get and that next time I start to feel the lightheaded feeling, to drink orange juice, apple juice, or eat chocolate or pure sugar. Soda actually doesn't have as much sugar as you think. Apple juice and orange juice have more sugar. Now to help prevent any more seizures, I make sure I eat 3 to 4 big meals or 5 to 6 small meals a day and I always carry chocolate and sugar on me at all times. If your hypoglycemia causes you to have seizures and you wait too long to put sugar into your body when feeling seizure-ish, it won't matter you will still have a seizure. You must put sugar into your body as soon as you start having symptoms!

Comment from: carla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

Well, I was told in December I had type 2 diabetes and was given medicine for it. I already have coronary artery disease (CAD) and the day before my birthday January 17 2014, I had a stroke with a seizure. I never had a seizure before, my heart doctor told me I had hypoglycemia. I told him I was light headed and became delusional; I could here people talking but vaguely and could see nothing, it happened so fast. I didn"t even have any sign of nothing, one minute I was fine the next bam! Anyway my sister said I was out for at least 20 minutes when I came to. I threw up for at least 20 minutes and was starving and my vision was really blurry; I still have that. He said I was lucky to be alive, I stay with headaches, ears ringing and really tired but when I'm feeling tired it a sign for me I guess still I'm learning. This is where I'm at with my hypoglycemia, good luck to all.

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.