Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: dolllbaby29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was also told that I am hypoglycemic at the emergency room after having a seizure in the street. After describing the symptoms I had before the seizure, the doctor said it sounded like a hypoglycemic seizure. After tests it was confirmed. My symptoms started with me feeling lightheaded, then I started to sweat but my hands felt cold and clammy, I then started to shake. I felt like I needed sugar (although, I didn't know I was hypoglycemic, nor did I know anything about it at that time) I went to the store and bought a soda thinking it would make me feel better. That did not work! As I was walking trying to get home, I started to feel worse and worse. I was seeing things that were not even there; like hallucinations. My heart started to race and it was like my body started to panic, but my brain was very calm. I knew that I was going to have a seizure by then and I just wanted to get home so I wouldn't have it in the street. I started slightly convulsing while I was still lucid and that was the last thing I remember. Next thing I knew I was awake on the ground with strangers around me calling an ambulance. The doctor told me that soda was the wrong thing to get and that next time I start to feel the lightheaded feeling, to drink orange juice, apple juice, or eat chocolate or pure sugar. Soda actually doesn't have as much sugar as you think. Apple juice and orange juice have more sugar. Now to help prevent any more seizures, I make sure I eat 3 to 4 big meals or 5 to 6 small meals a day and I always carry chocolate and sugar on me at all times. If your hypoglycemia causes you to have seizures and you wait too long to put sugar into your body when feeling seizure-ish, it won't matter you will still have a seizure. You must put sugar into your body as soon as you start having symptoms!

Comment from: carla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

Well, I was told in December I had type 2 diabetes and was given medicine for it. I already have coronary artery disease (CAD) and the day before my birthday January 17 2014, I had a stroke with a seizure. I never had a seizure before, my heart doctor told me I had hypoglycemia. I told him I was light headed and became delusional; I could here people talking but vaguely and could see nothing, it happened so fast. I didn"t even have any sign of nothing, one minute I was fine the next bam! Anyway my sister said I was out for at least 20 minutes when I came to. I threw up for at least 20 minutes and was starving and my vision was really blurry; I still have that. He said I was lucky to be alive, I stay with headaches, ears ringing and really tired but when I'm feeling tired it a sign for me I guess still I'm learning. This is where I'm at with my hypoglycemia, good luck to all.

Comment from: Dyanax013, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I recently was diagnosed with hypoglycemia after having a random attack at work for the second time. Last month we had a holiday lunch and I ate a big plate of food plus dessert and ended up shaking and feeling anxious. I thought I was having an anxiety attack. I got rushed to the hospital where they told me it may have just been a reaction to the food I ate. A couple of days ago I ended up going to the hospital because I was shaking uncontrollably at work. I noticed that it happened after I ate or drank something, but the doctors at the hospital said I had "anxiety" and tried giving me a Xanax to shut me up. The next morning I woke up and felt like someone was holding my body down or like I was going to fall right over. I immediately drank orange juice and felt better. I'm not sure what to do next, I don't know what the proper diet is. I have to continue to research ways to handle this because it has affected my daily life tremendously.

Comment from: mi, Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I'm a teacher, 24 years old, and just “knew” that I had hypoglycemia. As far as I can remember, I started having hypoglycemic symptoms since I was in middle school, but thought it was just fatigue. About two weeks ago, I started to feel really weak, anxious, got a headache, and had severe heart palpatations. At first, I thought I just had low blood pressure. When I checked, my blood pressure was 90/63. Usually, I just go to sleep and my blood pressure will go up by itself, but no – I had to suffer for three days until my mother decided to take me to clinic. After several blood tests, the doctor said that I was hypoglycemic. He prescribed supplements and vitamins. They still don't help when I have a headache. The doctor recommended I avoid sugar because it makes the pancreas work harder and that's not good. But when I feel that I can't take it anymore, I will have some sugar. So when I have heart palpations and feel weak, I avoid sugar, and choose juice or just eat something. But when I have a headache, I try some sugar. I still drink my supplements and vitamin. I'm wondering if there is a way to cure this permanently.

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.