Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: Blondie, 55-64 Female Published: January 06

I have been experiencing the symptoms of hypoglycemia with the weak feeling, shaky, anxious, until I eat, but my question is that when I start feeling this way I take my blood sample and it's only 104 or 100. That isn't supposed to be dangerous but that is when I start feeling bad.

Comment from: Gem, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

It has happened more often as I've gotten older, last couple years perhaps, and just the other night. I was shoveling lighter snow and began to feel a little nauseous and drained. Walked slowly home, had a little pear juice and sat down. Felt better after about 15 20 minutes. But there have been other times where all of a sudden I start feeling weak and develop a severe sweat and get a feeling I should eat something. So one of the first times I ate first rather than taking some sugar in the form of juice. Have to balance my diet better, but because of inflammatory bowel disease, I'm not always hungry or motivated to eat what I should. I have just made an appt with a doctor to find out more..

Comment from: MournDove, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Lately, I have had several low blood sugar episodes. I learned it was on my mother's side of the family. Anyways, when it starts I feel super tired, get dizzy, and a ring of sweat pours from around my head at the hairline. I have three times passed out for over two hours. When I start to have a spell I grab my glucagon tablets. I make sure I have nuts, fresh fruits, and vegetables. I was at work and my sugar dropped to 42. It has dropped to 42 several times in years past. I started checking my blood sugars regularly. I am not diabetic. My doctors checked me for diabetes 5 to 6 times, and it shows I am not diabetic.

Comment from: GMM, 45-54 Female Published: February 22

I have not been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, but experience the symptoms. I had my blood sugar tested a few times (including a fasting test) and it has always been normal. Strange thing, if I have the symptoms and I take in any form of sugar or starch, especially fizzy drinks or bread, it gets worse. Something savory, e.g. Pro Vitas with Bovril and cheese sometimes seem to help. My blood pressure tends to be a bit low at times, but is usually normal. Since I am not only dizzy at times, but also show other symptoms of hypoglycemia, I ruled out low blood pressure. But maybe I should try a good iron supplement. I wonder if others have had the same experience?

Comment from: Cassandra1029, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

Hyperventilation after exercise or in heated areas, fingers tingling, lightheadedness. Hope this helps.

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.