Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: Mj, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My symptoms included having major dizzy spells, getting really disoriented and extreme fatigue. I'd get irritable sometimes, and I would get the shakes and I would be trembling and pass out. They seemed random until I started to put two and two together as they usually occurred after missing a meal, or sometime in between meals if I didn't have a really satisfying one to begin with; usually when home alone and I was making my own meals. One day I had all the above symptoms and I passed out (hit my head on the way down) and I was kind of scared. So I typed my symptoms in the good ole search engine to try and figure it out. I found an article about hypoglycemia and took the advice in the article and made a meal/snack and was better.

Published: December 14

I made the mistake on going on a bike ride on a warm morning without eating breakfast. I'm not diabetic or anything. So as I was riding I started to feel faint, so I stop and get off my bike. Everything went black after that. I woke up with tunnel vision (I was only passed out for a minute), and one of the people who gathered around me gave me some chocolate. When the ambulance came they tested my blood sugar and said it was at normal levels. I will never do exercise on a empty stomache.

Comment from: claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Following a bad accident and head injury last year I got the shock of my life when I was discharged from hospital and found myself with tremendous shakes while I was out. I went home to try and sleep it off until I woke at 3am with palpitations, blurry vision, further shaking, weakness, dizziness and feeling sick. I went to the doctors and my blood sugars were found to be at 1.0. My doctors carried out tests and said all my glands were fine and I was actually suffering from syncope.

Comment from: David, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 15

For some unknown reason I will start sweating It starts in my lower back. This normally continues for twenty to thirty minutes.

Comment from: Tonisha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

When I get hypoglycemia, I experience nervousness, weakness, sweaty hands, difficultly focusing, and I get extremely sleepy.

Comment from: hypo-teen, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was diagnosed at 14 years old after passing out at school. I have had several of these "episodes" especially during menstruation when my body's sugar levels are like a roller coaster. Now after having had it for almost 3 years, I'm noticing the signs of lows more easily and not getting to that full blown passing out as often; shakes, nausea, mood swings, difficulty concentrating.

Comment from: Cee Cee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm a 55 yr. old female. Diagnosed in my 30's w/hypoglycemia. Was having headaches, especially when I'd wake in the morning. Also after sleeping a full 8 hrs., I'd wake feeling as if I hadn't slept at all. I now am past the 1 year menopause change. The past 5 years were not fun. Lately I've been having headaches that can last 2 days. Mostly a feeling of "heavy achiness" across my eyes, blurry vision , nervousness with shaky feeling , weak and tired spells , could eat non-stop. Sometimes I do get the rapid heart feeling too also feel dizzy at times, like I could pass-out. Your diet is very important when you have hypoglycemia, so you must make a job out of eating enough and eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. And drink water! Exercise too!

Published: May 25

I am 28 years old and found out a year ago that I have hypoglycemia. How I found out was that I started getting weak, nauseated, and irritable and have had some seizure activity. I went to the doctor and they did the 4 hour testing on me and decided mine was really low. I was informed not to eat any sweets, drink pop or anything like that. I was advised by my doctor to snack throughout the day. Peanut butter is one of the best things that help me. I used to not be a breakfast person but now I try to eat 3 times a day with health food and snack in between.

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.