Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: David, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 15

For some unknown reason I will start sweating It starts in my lower back. This normally continues for twenty to thirty minutes.

Comment from: Tonisha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

When I get hypoglycemia, I experience nervousness, weakness, sweaty hands, difficultly focusing, and I get extremely sleepy.

Comment from: hypo-teen, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was diagnosed at 14 years old after passing out at school. I have had several of these "episodes" especially during menstruation when my body's sugar levels are like a roller coaster. Now after having had it for almost 3 years, I'm noticing the signs of lows more easily and not getting to that full blown passing out as often; shakes, nausea, mood swings, difficulty concentrating.

Comment from: Cee Cee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm a 55 yr. old female. Diagnosed in my 30's w/hypoglycemia. Was having headaches, especially when I'd wake in the morning. Also after sleeping a full 8 hrs., I'd wake feeling as if I hadn't slept at all. I now am past the 1 year menopause change. The past 5 years were not fun. Lately I've been having headaches that can last 2 days. Mostly a feeling of "heavy achiness" across my eyes, blurry vision , nervousness with shaky feeling , weak and tired spells , could eat non-stop. Sometimes I do get the rapid heart feeling too also feel dizzy at times, like I could pass-out. Your diet is very important when you have hypoglycemia, so you must make a job out of eating enough and eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. And drink water! Exercise too!

Published: May 25

I am 28 years old and found out a year ago that I have hypoglycemia. How I found out was that I started getting weak, nauseated, and irritable and have had some seizure activity. I went to the doctor and they did the 4 hour testing on me and decided mine was really low. I was informed not to eat any sweets, drink pop or anything like that. I was advised by my doctor to snack throughout the day. Peanut butter is one of the best things that help me. I used to not be a breakfast person but now I try to eat 3 times a day with health food and snack in between.

Comment from: sweetseveteen, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am only 17 years old and have experienced hypoglycemia on and off since I was about 11 years old. Unfortunately it has been much worse and out of control this year. We are thinking there me be an underlying cause to my problems with my sugar and are going to see a different doctor but my symptoms of low blood glucose are: -dizziness -blurry vision -shakiness -hot/flushed face -not being able to focus -feeling anxious/nervous -irritable -being emotionally unstable

Comment from: steve, 35-44 Male Published: February 24

I don't know if I have that for sure but every day I have a hunger problem and if I get hungry and don't eat something I am very irritable, and can't think straight, get light headed, as soon as I eat a sandwich or something, within 5 min. I feel normal again.

Comment from: RFAITH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 47 year old female, I have low blood sugar but have yet to be diagnosed. I have headaches all the time, and then I get tired. When I eat I get so tired and weak, almost like a drunk feeling then I pass out. This is very scary for me because I live alone. I too also suffer from a head injury. I have not been treated because I have no health insurance.

Comment from: my girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My symptoms are lightheaded, dizziness, sweating, shaking, and feeling like I have to eat something or I am going to die! When I was in high school I actually passed out in the hallway and hit my head on the lockers. It can be very serious so be careful and tell someone right away so they can act fast. A lot of times I can't think clearly or speak.

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.