Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: ifsogirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I was just diagnosed, and I use the term lightly as my doctor wouldn't do a blood test, a month or so ago. When I realize I'm hungry I get lightheaded and dizzy, then it moves on to shaky, nervous, my breathing and pulse rate go up, I get sweaty and confused and irritable as well. Pretty much I run the whole gamut of symptoms within a 30 min span of time. By then I'm no longer hungry but nauseous and can't even look at food. I find drinking some pop helps a lot. I feel better and can usually eat a little.

Comment from: g, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I suffered from hypoglycemia in my late twenties as a result of drinking a lot of coffee and taking a lot of sweet things. My pancreas went into overdrive. I had no idea why I was dizzy, had all sorts of aches all over my body and felt generally weak and down. I found a book called sugar blues that explained it all, changed my diet, cut out all caffeine, alcohol and sweets for a while and it did the trick. I was fine for years, now I have the same symptoms back along with gluten sensitivity. By the way, the light flashes seem related to gluten intolerance. I will now stay away from wheat and gluten as well as sugar and cut back on alcohol to see the results. Did it for a couple of months and felt a different person, then fell off the wagon gluten wise, which was unwise. great book out there called "Wheat Belly", written by a doctor and on New York Times bestseller list. Buy it and read it, quite an eye opener. A must if you are diabetic. Good luck all.

Comment from: Fred Lutterman, 55-64 Male Published: November 02

I had stomach cancer and had my stomach totally removed along with all the lymph nodes in the area. I never leave home without glucose tablets, some days I experience 2 to 4 sugar drops which pretty well wears me out. I have to watch my sugars and carbs intake because I have learned that these cause me problems. My diet is mainly protein with supplements. After 3 to 4.5 years I have gained weight and am surviving but it is not easy. I cannot work because energy level will not allow it, too much and my blood sugar drops. I have soaked countless shirts and almost have passed out but I still hang in there. I can only give others hope, it is possible.

Comment from: Avril, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have had diabetes for about 15 years and even though my sugar is pretty well balanced, my doctor decided to put me on Insulin. I started with 10 units, he upped the injections to 12 and for the past two mornings have had low readings of 77 - 68 - 59 (the normal supposed to be (90 - 120). Today, the doctor upped my insulin dose to 14. Why, if my sugar is low first thing in the morning, would be up the dose. I would think that he would lower it. I don't really understand now, how insulin works. Can someone please help. My doctor was in a hurry and did not really take the time to explain to me.

Comment from: Julinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had frequent hypoglycemia episodes in my late 20s and 30s. I dealt with it by eating a lot of sweets (I know, not the best way) and just eating a lot in general. I ended up developing type 2 diabetes in my early 40s. I'm now 49 and on a couple of diabetes meds. I came to this article because I was having a hypoglycemia episode and wanted to see what was best to deal with it. I think many medical professionals, like the author of this article, thinks hypoglycemia outside of those on diabetes meds is rare, but it really isn't!

Comment from: Jackie1890, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

One symptom of hypoglycemia that I haven't seen mentioned very often that affects me the most is light-headedness and dizziness. Although, before I developed hypoglycemia I suffered a traumatic brain injury when I was 15 so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But the light-headedness bothers me the most. I haven't had a period where I haven't been light-headed or dizzy in almost two years. There are also these streaks of light everywhere which for the most part I don't notice anymore unless my blood sugar rises or drops too fast after I eat. It can be very hard to concentrate in class and keep track of conversation sometimes. I also have periods where I have blurry vision for hours on end and sometimes (rarely) it lasts for a whole day. My arms, legs and buttocks go numb if I don't change positions frequently.

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.