Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: psapp, 35-44 Male Published: July 26

While I am going off what the doctor told me is that I have hypoglycemia I am not one to take that and go away. However, reading all the things here it sounds right. I know when I go on a diet or increase my workout load, or skip a meal I get shaky and light headed. The one that really gets me is the déj vu feeling like everything that is going on at that time I had already done or that I had seen it all in a dream. Most of the time it will go away with food and making sure I eat right. I can handle most of the other stuff but that one really gets me.

Comment from: Jackie1890, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

One symptom of hypoglycemia that I haven't seen mentioned very often that affects me the most is light-headedness and dizziness. Although, before I developed hypoglycemia I suffered a traumatic brain injury when I was 15 so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But the light-headedness bothers me the most. I haven't had a period where I haven't been light-headed or dizzy in almost two years. There are also these streaks of light everywhere which for the most part I don't notice anymore unless my blood sugar rises or drops too fast after I eat. It can be very hard to concentrate in class and keep track of conversation sometimes. I also have periods where I have blurry vision for hours on end and sometimes (rarely) it lasts for a whole day. My arms, legs and buttocks go numb if I don't change positions frequently.

Comment from: Richard, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

My symptoms are weak arms and wrists, weak legs, back and groin cramps, dizziness, anxiety, tight chest, and trouble breathing, among a few others. It usually happens just before meals, when I haven't eaten in a while. Just recently, I was diagnosed with low blood sugar. I find it helps when I lay off coffee, cigarettes, and eat more, especially protein.

Comment from: Mj, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My symptoms included having major dizzy spells, getting really disoriented and extreme fatigue. I'd get irritable sometimes, and I would get the shakes and I would be trembling and pass out. They seemed random until I started to put two and two together as they usually occurred after missing a meal, or sometime in between meals if I didn't have a really satisfying one to begin with; usually when home alone and I was making my own meals. One day I had all the above symptoms and I passed out (hit my head on the way down) and I was kind of scared. So I typed my symptoms in the good ole search engine to try and figure it out. I found an article about hypoglycemia and took the advice in the article and made a meal/snack and was better.

Published: December 14

I made the mistake on going on a bike ride on a warm morning without eating breakfast. I'm not diabetic or anything. So as I was riding I started to feel faint, so I stop and get off my bike. Everything went black after that. I woke up with tunnel vision (I was only passed out for a minute), and one of the people who gathered around me gave me some chocolate. When the ambulance came they tested my blood sugar and said it was at normal levels. I will never do exercise on a empty stomache.

Comment from: claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Following a bad accident and head injury last year I got the shock of my life when I was discharged from hospital and found myself with tremendous shakes while I was out. I went home to try and sleep it off until I woke at 3am with palpitations, blurry vision, further shaking, weakness, dizziness and feeling sick. I went to the doctors and my blood sugars were found to be at 1.0. My doctors carried out tests and said all my glands were fine and I was actually suffering from syncope.

Comment from: iamme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

With my hypoglycemia, I experience asthma, shakiness, increased ADHD symptoms that progress to irritability, confusion, inability to think or make decisions, trouble speaking, extreme fatigue, and fading out.

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.