Patient Comments: Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: carla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

Well, I was told in December I had type 2 diabetes and was given medicine for it. I already have coronary artery disease (CAD) and the day before my birthday January 17 2014, I had a stroke with a seizure. I never had a seizure before, my heart doctor told me I had hypoglycemia. I told him I was light headed and became delusional; I could here people talking but vaguely and could see nothing, it happened so fast. I didn"t even have any sign of nothing, one minute I was fine the next bam! Anyway my sister said I was out for at least 20 minutes when I came to. I threw up for at least 20 minutes and was starving and my vision was really blurry; I still have that. He said I was lucky to be alive, I stay with headaches, ears ringing and really tired but when I'm feeling tired it a sign for me I guess still I'm learning. This is where I'm at with my hypoglycemia, good luck to all.

Comment from: Dyanax013, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I recently was diagnosed with hypoglycemia after having a random attack at work for the second time. Last month we had a holiday lunch and I ate a big plate of food plus dessert and ended up shaking and feeling anxious. I thought I was having an anxiety attack. I got rushed to the hospital where they told me it may have just been a reaction to the food I ate. A couple of days ago I ended up going to the hospital because I was shaking uncontrollably at work. I noticed that it happened after I ate or drank something, but the doctors at the hospital said I had "anxiety" and tried giving me a Xanax to shut me up. The next morning I woke up and felt like someone was holding my body down or like I was going to fall right over. I immediately drank orange juice and felt better. I'm not sure what to do next, I don't know what the proper diet is. I have to continue to research ways to handle this because it has affected my daily life tremendously.

Comment from: mi, Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I'm a teacher, 24 years old, and just “knew” that I had hypoglycemia. As far as I can remember, I started having hypoglycemic symptoms since I was in middle school, but thought it was just fatigue. About two weeks ago, I started to feel really weak, anxious, got a headache, and had severe heart palpatations. At first, I thought I just had low blood pressure. When I checked, my blood pressure was 90/63. Usually, I just go to sleep and my blood pressure will go up by itself, but no – I had to suffer for three days until my mother decided to take me to clinic. After several blood tests, the doctor said that I was hypoglycemic. He prescribed supplements and vitamins. They still don't help when I have a headache. The doctor recommended I avoid sugar because it makes the pancreas work harder and that's not good. But when I feel that I can't take it anymore, I will have some sugar. So when I have heart palpations and feel weak, I avoid sugar, and choose juice or just eat something. But when I have a headache, I try some sugar. I still drink my supplements and vitamin. I'm wondering if there is a way to cure this permanently.

Comment from: ks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I found out I had hypoglycemia after losing consciousness 4 times. My family doctor later told me I had low blood sugar but never told me really what to eat. But I remember my attacks always start with a severe migraine, and then I get cold, start shaking then I can feel my limbs weakening. If I don't eat by that time then about 15 minute later I pass out. Orange juice works very well for me. The last time I had an attack I was brought to the emergency room and I was unconsciousness for 3 hours before the sugar kicked in. when I woke up I was confused and too tired to even talk, felt like I ran a marathon.

Comment from: ifsogirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I was just diagnosed, and I use the term lightly as my doctor wouldn't do a blood test, a month or so ago. When I realize I'm hungry I get lightheaded and dizzy, then it moves on to shaky, nervous, my breathing and pulse rate go up, I get sweaty and confused and irritable as well. Pretty much I run the whole gamut of symptoms within a 30 min span of time. By then I'm no longer hungry but nauseous and can't even look at food. I find drinking some pop helps a lot. I feel better and can usually eat a little.

Comment from: g, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I suffered from hypoglycemia in my late twenties as a result of drinking a lot of coffee and taking a lot of sweet things. My pancreas went into overdrive. I had no idea why I was dizzy, had all sorts of aches all over my body and felt generally weak and down. I found a book called sugar blues that explained it all, changed my diet, cut out all caffeine, alcohol and sweets for a while and it did the trick. I was fine for years, now I have the same symptoms back along with gluten sensitivity. By the way, the light flashes seem related to gluten intolerance. I will now stay away from wheat and gluten as well as sugar and cut back on alcohol to see the results. Did it for a couple of months and felt a different person, then fell off the wagon gluten wise, which was unwise. great book out there called "Wheat Belly", written by a doctor and on New York Times bestseller list. Buy it and read it, quite an eye opener. A must if you are diabetic. Good luck all.

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors Question: Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.