Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?

Comment from: Cupienana, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I have high blood pressure, but recently became very ill, facing diarrhea and getting weaker and weaker. After four days, I was so weak I and had to give in and call an ambulance and go to a hospital. I had severe sepsis, E. coli and serious dehydration. I was dismissed from the hospital after 10 days and my blood pressure dropped to both under 100 and my pulse in the 40s. I got no stronger. In my return visit to my cardiologist (when I was still very weak, and 5 weeks after my most recent hospitalization) I now had critically-low potassium level. I had taken potassium prescription to counteract loss of potassium due to taking Lasix to prevent congestive heart failure. Increased potassium prescription treatment has resulted in my feeling better than I have in months, but my high blood pressure has returned to 166/106, pulse 60 and I do feel stronger!

Comment from: Cherie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I began having trouble with intolerance to cold and heat, but mostly cold. I would also wake up with near extreme night sweats to where I would have to change my gown. I had trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep; low energy, an all over weak feeling as if I had low blood pressure, dizziness, and memory problems. I would also get these weird tingly sensations down my arms and legs and part of my body. I had hand tremors that varied from light to ridiculous. My hair, when in health, was fine and thick. By the time I finally got medical attention, my hair was course and thinning fast. I also had a lump or swelling in my neck. Often, in the area of my thyroid there was pain to the touch (on a scale 1 to 10, usually 1 to 4). I had trouble getting my doctor to do anything about it. When I found out that I could go to a specialist without his referral, I went on my own (much to his chagrin afterwards). My TSH was low, and I took the medicine for 3 months. Upon my follow-up, my ENT specialist took me off it because it raised my levels too high from the lowest dose he had prescribed. All this happened in September 2012 to April 2013. Oh, by the way, the ultrasound revealed nodules in my thyroid, biopsies were benign. The specialist said he would just watch it. After all this, the night sweats, temperature intolerance, memory stuff all but went away or stopped. Then fall of 2015, night sweats began again, I finally just butchered my hair because it looked so ragged. The swelling never did go away, nor did the on and off again soreness, but my TSH levels were always normal. And the temperature intolerance began, so I went to my new doctor. I just had another ultrasound, lots of nodules this time, TSH levels still normal, so now it's off to the biopsies again.

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I pulled hamstring while doing an exercises for sciatica. Sciatica is a big nerve which I pinched while working. I am a material handler. The pinch is gone but now have to get rid of the pulled hamstring.

Comment from: maui22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I've been suffering from hyperthyroidism for about 6 years now. It started with bad gastrointestinal issues (nausea, heartburn, constipation, and intense stomach pain) and muscle pains and aches. I was in and out of the doctor's office all through college, but they were never able to figure it out. I was put on a lot of different medications (pain pills, stomach motility pills, and constipation relieving pills), but nothing ever worked. I struggled with anorexia all through that time because I was so nauseous all the time, I didn't eat normally. The problems never really went away and then about 2 months ago, things started getting even worse. I developed headaches and body aches that wouldn't go away with any OTC pain reliever. I started sweating all the time and became even more nauseous. My heart rate began to average 80 bpm when it was normally around 50 bpm. I finally went back to the doctor when I felt like my throat was closing up when I was teaching a group exercise class and I couldn't breathe. I have now been diagnosed with Graves' disease. I have started taking methimazole and metoprolol, but am considering surgery to remove the entire thyroid. It may be a more extreme choice, but I am so desperate to feel better, it is worth the risk. I am hoping that we have now found an answer to all of the issues I've experienced over the years.

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?