Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?

Comment from: BH, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am now 32 years old. When I was 25 the carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) in my right hand was so bad I had pains all the way up to my shoulder, and I lost feeling in my thumb, pointer, middle and half the ring finger. It also felt as if I had I ring around my middle finger. I had the release done at 25 and they found a cyst in the tunnel and removed it. So far it has been fine until about a month ago. I also have CTS in my left and had a shot of cortisone back when I was 25, but recently I have started to have the same symptoms in my left hand as I did in my right. I think overworking my right hand to take it easy on my left is making my right hand sore. I had 2 shots of cortisone in my left wrist within the last 2.5 months. I do not want the surgery but maybe it's just a cyst, who knows. CTS is a horrible thing.

Comment from: johndoe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

My Graves' disease was discovered during routine blood work one year ago where the doctor included TSH levels. I wrote the symptoms of it off as aging, and aches and pains from my very physical job as a welder/fabricator in the steel industry. As I looked over the symptoms, I realized that I experience every one of them except the female symptoms. Tomorrow I go to receive my radio-iodine treatment, because the methimazole prescribed is not bringing my TSH levels down to normal range. After that I think it is time to seek out an education of how to manage this disease such as, dietary needs, and how to live with it. I am more disappointed about a lack of information in my case, than anything else involving it.

Comment from: Raquelap, Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about a month ago and I was prescribed levothyroxine to help regulate my hormones. All that seems to be happening is my symptoms are getting worse. All I do is sleep! All I wanna do is sleep. At first all I wanted to do was eat but now the thought of eating makes me feel sick. I get weird rashes on my arms and the back my hands are starting to bruise. I get really hot and start to sweat. My neck is swollen right where my thyroids are. I'm extremely irritable. I let my doctor know what was going on so now all I have to do is wait to hear back from him. I hope things will get better because I feel really bad. :-(

Comment from: skrause, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid a few years ago and have been regulated for about 1 1/2 years but in August went hyper again. My TSH was .131. My medications were changed (lowered) and I just received another test and the TSH is now .016 so I am lowering my medications but going more hyper. I will see the doctor today to find out why, since he said my thyroid was basically dead because it had been inactive for so long. I am not sure why the levels are changing. One thing to note hyperthyroid does not always mean weight loss. I have gained weight both times I have gone hyper.

Comment from: goddedeb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had 3 operations to remove cysts from my thyroid at ages 7, 11, and 17. I'm now 28 years old with the latest cyst diagnosed. Started on Neomercazole 20 mg three times a day and need heart medication too.

Comment from: Silent Thyroiditis, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

Three months ago, I was diagnosed with painless / silent thyroiditis, which is similar to postpartum thyroiditis – only I'm a male. Life was bad – I was always dizzy, my mental cognition was low, I was sweating all the time, confused, had insomnia, fatigue, exercise intolerance, and depression. I was prescribed atenolol to manage the symptoms. No antithyroid medications were prescribed, as this apparently is a temporary inflammation. The atenolol made me feel worse – groggy, sleepy, etc. I stopped taking it and have managed the symptoms by reducing stress, eating extremely healthy, and surrounding myself with positive people and stories to get the serotonin flowing, along with no alcohol or caffeine. I'm slowly starting to feel better, but still nowhere near where I was three months ago. But things are getting better.

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?