Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?

Comment from: BH, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am now 32 years old. When I was 25 the carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) in my right hand was so bad I had pains all the way up to my shoulder, and I lost feeling in my thumb, pointer, middle and half the ring finger. It also felt as if I had I ring around my middle finger. I had the release done at 25 and they found a cyst in the tunnel and removed it. So far it has been fine until about a month ago. I also have CTS in my left and had a shot of cortisone back when I was 25, but recently I have started to have the same symptoms in my left hand as I did in my right. I think overworking my right hand to take it easy on my left is making my right hand sore. I had 2 shots of cortisone in my left wrist within the last 2.5 months. I do not want the surgery but maybe it's just a cyst, who knows. CTS is a horrible thing.

Comment from: johndoe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

My Graves' disease was discovered during routine blood work one year ago where the doctor included TSH levels. I wrote the symptoms of it off as aging, and aches and pains from my very physical job as a welder/fabricator in the steel industry. As I looked over the symptoms, I realized that I experience every one of them except the female symptoms. Tomorrow I go to receive my radio-iodine treatment, because the methimazole prescribed is not bringing my TSH levels down to normal range. After that I think it is time to seek out an education of how to manage this disease such as, dietary needs, and how to live with it. I am more disappointed about a lack of information in my case, than anything else involving it.

Comment from: Gioia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with thyrotoxicosis 3 years ago, I was on Neomercazole and then it was reduced. Now the symptoms of hyperthyroidism are back; all the tiredness, depression, irritation, and increase in appetite, but this time I gained weight not like last year where I lost 22 kg. Now when I take the medicine, I feel terrible pain in my stomach and I stopped taking the medicine by myself.

Comment from: not to worry..., (Patient) Published: August 11

For all of you that are freaking out, not to worry. It has been 25 years since I was told I had Graves' disease and hyperthyroidism. I had the radioactive treatment and my thyroid was destroyed. I have been on several generic and brand name medications to keep me in check. The doses change as you get older, but I get a blood test every 6 months and stay on top of it. Other than being tied to a pill bottle for the rest of your life, it is really not a big deal.

Comment from: danielleling, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

In March 2014 I started sweating and having heat intolerance, I would take a shower, get ready for work, and before I was done I was all sweaty again. I had shaky knees and hands, my heart raced, and I dropped 25 lb. in 2 1/2 months. I was out of breath and tired but couldn't sleep and the worst part was I got a migraine that kicked my butt for 2 months. I worked 10 days total in a 30, period. After several Instacare and emergency room visits to try and treat the migraine, nothing worked. Finally my obstetrician/gynecologist tested me and my levels were horrible and I had hyperthyroid. I saw an endocrinologist and he says my migraine and hyperthyroidism are not related I know they are. Within two days of being on methimazole, it was gone. After two months I felt I had my life back. Now I have a scan in 7 days and have to be off the methimazole for 2 weeks within 4 days of stopping it my migraine came back and has kicked me and each day it gets worse. I just want to feel normal again. Counting down the days for my scan (7 more days) and to get answers.

Comment from: Raquelap, Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about a month ago and I was prescribed levothyroxine to help regulate my hormones. All that seems to be happening is my symptoms are getting worse. All I do is sleep! All I wanna do is sleep. At first all I wanted to do was eat but now the thought of eating makes me feel sick. I get weird rashes on my arms and the back my hands are starting to bruise. I get really hot and start to sweat. My neck is swollen right where my thyroids are. I'm extremely irritable. I let my doctor know what was going on so now all I have to do is wait to hear back from him. I hope things will get better because I feel really bad. :-(

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?