Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?

Comment from: StillSick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

My bout of gastroenteritis started Thursday while I was at work. I felt fine at 7 AM and started feeling sick at 8:00. This stuff hits fast! I had to grab my desk trash can and projectile vomited in it a few times until I felt a little better. I immediately drove home and continued projectile vomiting for the next 2 hours. I had chills, body aches and a little diarrhea. Luckily, I hadn't had much to eat the night before, otherwise I think that would have been worse. The vomiting stopped after 2 hours, but it is now Sunday night and I am still weak. I also still feel nauseous at various times, although I haven't had any vomiting.

Comment from: SRINIVASH, Published: September 16

I developed a pulmonary embolism in January 2015. For a period of 10 days it could not be diagnosed, even by a senior cardiologist. He made me undergo several tests including treadmill, echo, ECG, and CT scan and I did not want to go for treadmill as I am not in a position to walk properly, yet he made me run on it. I could not walk/run for a few seconds. After 2 days I was admitted to the hospital, the duty doctor who was a simple MBBS identified from the symptoms and supplied oxygen. With the advice of the hospital's senior doctors the treatment was started. Within a week I was perfect, though it was too late to identify from the symptoms. I was not able to walk even a few steps, had breathing problem and could not stand up in the wash room. There was no severe chest pain. It is my humble request to the viewers/readers not to take this disease lightly, as it can end up in losing one's life. Contact the physician immediately.

Comment from: Cupienana, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I have high blood pressure, but recently became very ill, facing diarrhea and getting weaker and weaker. After four days, I was so weak I and had to give in and call an ambulance and go to a hospital. I had severe sepsis, E. coli and serious dehydration. I was dismissed from the hospital after 10 days and my blood pressure dropped to both under 100 and my pulse in the 40s. I got no stronger. In my return visit to my cardiologist (when I was still very weak, and 5 weeks after my most recent hospitalization) I now had critically-low potassium level. I had taken potassium prescription to counteract loss of potassium due to taking Lasix to prevent congestive heart failure. Increased potassium prescription treatment has resulted in my feeling better than I have in months, but my high blood pressure has returned to 166/106, pulse 60 and I do feel stronger!

Comment from: Cherie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I began having trouble with intolerance to cold and heat, but mostly cold. I would also wake up with near extreme night sweats to where I would have to change my gown. I had trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep; low energy, an all over weak feeling as if I had low blood pressure, dizziness, and memory problems. I would also get these weird tingly sensations down my arms and legs and part of my body. I had hand tremors that varied from light to ridiculous. My hair, when in health, was fine and thick. By the time I finally got medical attention, my hair was course and thinning fast. I also had a lump or swelling in my neck. Often, in the area of my thyroid there was pain to the touch (on a scale 1 to 10, usually 1 to 4). I had trouble getting my doctor to do anything about it. When I found out that I could go to a specialist without his referral, I went on my own (much to his chagrin afterwards). My TSH was low, and I took the medicine for 3 months. Upon my follow-up, my ENT specialist took me off it because it raised my levels too high from the lowest dose he had prescribed. All this happened in September 2012 to April 2013. Oh, by the way, the ultrasound revealed nodules in my thyroid, biopsies were benign. The specialist said he would just watch it. After all this, the night sweats, temperature intolerance, memory stuff all but went away or stopped. Then fall of 2015, night sweats began again, I finally just butchered my hair because it looked so ragged. The swelling never did go away, nor did the on and off again soreness, but my TSH levels were always normal. And the temperature intolerance began, so I went to my new doctor. I just had another ultrasound, lots of nodules this time, TSH levels still normal, so now it's off to the biopsies again.

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Hyperthyroidism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperthyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your hyperthyroidism, and how was it treated?