Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I got Hyperthyroidism or Graves Disease at a very young age (14) I was very sick. My doctor prescribed many different drugs and none of them worked. At the age of 16 I had radioactive iodine injections. This was the only thing that worked for me. I am now pushing 40 and take Synthroid to regulate my thyroid and all is good.

Comment from: Lauren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

3 weeks of taking 40mg/day of methimazole, I developed hives. They randomly occurred on the bottom of my feet, my knees, hips, elbows, on my palms, and on the backs of my hands. The itching would change every day, a different area. The 1st day my scalp was also covered in hives. Dr suggested lowering my dosage and Benadryl every 4 hours until the hives stopped. Days later the hives were gone, but I was bed-ridden. My allergy turned into arthalgias: a form of arthritis where there's no inflammation, just severe joint pain. It's a different series of joints everyday: right now it's my L shoulder, R knee, R wrist, and L ankle. My parents are literally helping me to the bathroom! Now I'm on Celebrex and switched to PTU. Hope I'm not allergic to that.

Comment from: Ben, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I self-diagnosed hyperthyroidism in 2007. T4 levels were around 47 (upper limit of "normal" is 22). I used Neomercazole to initially level the levels but later used only homeopathic preparations (e.g Natura's Struma 1). My levels now (2011) remain within the normal range by continual monitoring and trying to live a balanced life. There seems to be little knowledge regarding alternative methods of treatment - conventional approached can be very drastic - e.g radioactive iodine.

Comment from: Lauren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

Three weeks of taking 40mg/day of methimazole, I developed hives. They randomly occurred on the bottom of my feet, backs of my knees, fronts of my knees, hip bones, backs of elbows, fronts of elbows, on my palms, and on the backs of my hands. The itching would change every day, a different area. The first day my scalp was also covered in hives. My dr suggested lowering my dosage and Benadryl every four hours until the hives stopped. Three days later the hives were gone, but I was bed-ridden. My allergy turned into arthalgias: a form of arthritis where there's no inflammation, just severe joint pain. It's a different series of joints everyday: right now it's my left shoulder, right knee, right wrist, and left ankle. My parents are literally helping me to the bathroom! Now I'm on celebrex and switched to PTU. Hope I'm not allergic to that.

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

The consultant prescribed Carbimazole tablets for my treatment and it was supposed to go on for a year and a half. I started with 3 tablets then 2 and now I take only one tablet 5mg. I feel better and most of the symptoms disappeared except a few like the skin dryness, irregular monthly period, and feeling dizzy and sometimes feeling heat or sweating. My general health has improved since starting my medication.

Comment from: Angie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was put on 5 mg of Methimazole am now taking 1/2 pill every other day for toxic goiter thyroid nodules. I discovered after surgery called the Whipple Procedure for cancer of the pancreas TSH was extremely low.

Comment from: Hyperthyroid man, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

My hyperthyroid is normal right now. Thankfully the medicine I ate called propylthiouracil sort my problem. Four (5mg) tablets each day. Stress is the reason I got hyperthyroid. Hopefully one day I can live without eating the medicine anymore. Slow and steady.

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?