Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?

Comment from: mmandnoodle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have all of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, to the T...My blood test however came back with a "normal" TSH of 2.14 and all other scales normal EXCEPT my testosterone was LOW at 6, beginning low range = 8. Also show low end of T3 uptake and Low End of Free Thyroxine Index.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was misdiagnosed as suffering from asthma notwithstanding weighing in at 32 kilos at the age of 30. Ventolin drove me mad on top of thyrotoxicosis symptoms. Eventually once diagnosed the medication made me crazy, as if I was not crazy enough already! Surgery did the trick, remove the diseased gland, I still have one left, it has tumors on it but they have been biopsied and are benign. No medication, life is great!

Comment from: allshookup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have been recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I have lost 25 lbs. in a month. I have severe shaking all over my body. Sweats, low energy at times and major frustration.

Comment from: fynness, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I was diagnosed with a hyperthyroidism about 2 weeks ago. I have been feeling ill for about 4 months. I had an inner ear infection, then I was getting blurred vision and headaches. I was also suffering from severe anxiety and depression. I am 52 so my doctor thought it was menopause. I was sweating and shaking and thought I was going insane. I went back to the doctor because everything was getting worse. My palms were also very red. As sooon as he saw my palms he ordered a thyroid test and the result was thyrotoxicosis. Ihave been on carbimasole for over a week and I am feeling a bit better, but still very fatigued. I have lost about 30lbs. I hope I am on the road to recovery. Take care.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I got Hyperthyroidism or Graves Disease at a very young age (14) I was very sick. My doctor prescribed many different drugs and none of them worked. At the age of 16 I had radioactive iodine injections. This was the only thing that worked for me. I am now pushing 40 and take Synthroid to regulate my thyroid and all is good.

Comment from: Lauren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

3 weeks of taking 40mg/day of methimazole, I developed hives. They randomly occurred on the bottom of my feet, my knees, hips, elbows, on my palms, and on the backs of my hands. The itching would change every day, a different area. The 1st day my scalp was also covered in hives. Dr suggested lowering my dosage and Benadryl every 4 hours until the hives stopped. Days later the hives were gone, but I was bed-ridden. My allergy turned into arthalgias: a form of arthritis where there's no inflammation, just severe joint pain. It's a different series of joints everyday: right now it's my L shoulder, R knee, R wrist, and L ankle. My parents are literally helping me to the bathroom! Now I'm on Celebrex and switched to PTU. Hope I'm not allergic to that.

Comment from: Ben, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I self-diagnosed hyperthyroidism in 2007. T4 levels were around 47 (upper limit of "normal" is 22). I used Neomercazole to initially level the levels but later used only homeopathic preparations (e.g Natura's Struma 1). My levels now (2011) remain within the normal range by continual monitoring and trying to live a balanced life. There seems to be little knowledge regarding alternative methods of treatment - conventional approached can be very drastic - e.g radioactive iodine.

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?