Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?

Comment from: edfunked64, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism many years ago my doctor prescribed me to take neo-mercazole 20 mg together with 5 mg of amlodipine, calcium and 10 mg of propranolol. I take neo-mercazole and amlodipine after breakfast and take calcium together with propranolol. I take this medicine for about 4 years now and it calm all symptoms that I have before hope it can help all who will read this.

Comment from: Cam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have been diagnosed with Grave's disease for eight years now and have been on Tapazole for the entire time. I recently got a second opinion and was taken off the medication to see if I would be in remission, but I was not. The medication helps but I still have heart palpitations, night sweats, heat intolerance, and fatigue. It's manageable but I do notice the symptoms are worse when I am under stress, even good stress like a new exercise program. I found I can go on long walks and hikes and be ok but anything else puts my immune system under attack. I found listening to my body and trying to keep a steady pace helps but not always easy in this world.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in September 2009. The symptoms were swelling of my legs and excessive tiredness and inability to even remember people's names. I am now on thyroid reduction medication that has not been able to help. I am not seeking help as I do lose energy even early in the morning I wake up tired.

Comment from: lovely, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had tremors and some mild skin flush. No problems sleeping, eating or losing weight. My Aunt has the same problem. I did have some strange dreams at the being of the med. methimazole. Within 2 months my dose drops from 20mg to 5 mg once daily. I'm going off the med. in 2 days. I feel like myself again. Hopeful it stays in remission.

Comment from: mmandnoodle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have all of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, to the T...My blood test however came back with a "normal" TSH of 2.14 and all other scales normal EXCEPT my testosterone was LOW at 6, beginning low range = 8. Also show low end of T3 uptake and Low End of Free Thyroxine Index.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was misdiagnosed as suffering from asthma notwithstanding weighing in at 32 kilos at the age of 30. Ventolin drove me mad on top of thyrotoxicosis symptoms. Eventually once diagnosed the medication made me crazy, as if I was not crazy enough already! Surgery did the trick, remove the diseased gland, I still have one left, it has tumors on it but they have been biopsied and are benign. No medication, life is great!

Comment from: allshookup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have been recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I have lost 25 lbs. in a month. I have severe shaking all over my body. Sweats, low energy at times and major frustration.

Comment from: fynness, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I was diagnosed with a hyperthyroidism about 2 weeks ago. I have been feeling ill for about 4 months. I had an inner ear infection, then I was getting blurred vision and headaches. I was also suffering from severe anxiety and depression. I am 52 so my doctor thought it was menopause. I was sweating and shaking and thought I was going insane. I went back to the doctor because everything was getting worse. My palms were also very red. As sooon as he saw my palms he ordered a thyroid test and the result was thyrotoxicosis. Ihave been on carbimasole for over a week and I am feeling a bit better, but still very fatigued. I have lost about 30lbs. I hope I am on the road to recovery. Take care.

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?