Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?

Comment from: donna w, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

Removed my thyroid now I am going through blood tests after blood test after changing medicines. My body has not recognized that my thyroid is gone. It is still producing at three times more than before. My blood is now thick and i need to be on blood thinners, my heart rate is 250. I feel like i am going crazy with the mood swings. All the doctors are doing is keep changing the meds. I am at my wits end. The doc says i am so sick i can have a heart attack any minute. Just don't know what to do anymore.

Comment from: hagendaz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

My symptoms started with heart palpitations, chest pain, fatigue, diminished sexual drive. That's when I started thinking something was wrong. Suddenly I got a lump on my throat that suddenly swelled up like a golf ball size on left side of throat. It never bothered me in anyway, but it was there. I ignored it for four years, until my sexual drive got so bad. I had to know what was going on. Presently waiting for bi-op app. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Haley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I started having palpitations, heat intolerance, loose stools, and feeling shaky. It was seven months after that when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I lost 10 pounds within a month. I am on heart pills to control my fast heart rate and to normalize my rhythm. I was just started on methimazole. It is a terrible disease! It is such a small gland, but it can screw up your whole body and spirit.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

My primary care physician called me and told me that my thyroid levels were 28. I've been on 50MCG of generic for Synthroid for many years and she is increasing my dose to 125mcg. I am a Type 2 diabetic and take Metformin 2 times a day, I have an IGG immune deficiency in which I do SubQ treatments once a week for the rest of my life, plus I'm also taking 10mg of Lipitor.

Comment from: blackqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I suffer from constipation, sweating, difficulty in remembering names, and depression. I can't sleep and have lost so much weight that I embarrassed. My coworkers wonder what is wrong. This is a horrible thing to have. My doctor just put me on methimazole until I see a specialist. Some days I don't even eat. Other days, eating is all I do and then it makes me feel like throwing up. I just wish I could be back to normal.

Comment from: Suzgoatfan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

This is my 3rd bout of hyperthyroidism in 10 years. I gain weight every time, have hand tremors more so on my right hand. I also feel aggravated, memory issues, body pain, and slight vision changes. I am taking 10 mg of Methimazole once a day, but still feeling jumpy. My heart rate and BP is normal this time around. I am wondering why I'm hyper after 3 years of being normal.

Comment from: Bill A, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

Since January, I have been suffering with an overactive thyroid. I was constipated constantly but frequently urinated. I mean all the time. The doctor put me on medication four weeks ago. I also had to take two kinds of water pills and have lost 35 pounds of water weight. My old clothes do not fit. I weigh 165 pounds now. I was so swollen that I could not tie my shoes or walk up stairs. I was tired all the time. I'm glad for modern medicine and for my doctor.

Comment from: chloe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism at 16. Seven months after first experiencing symptoms, a goiter formed. I was given medication to steady my thyroid, but unfortunately my goiter had an underlying cancerous growth known as papillary carcinoma, which resulted in my whole thyroid being removed and a dose of radiation therapy. I am now on thyroid hormone replacement tablets, and life is back to normal.

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?