Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?

Comment from: skrause, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid a few years ago and have been regulated for about 1 1/2 years but in August went hyper again. My TSH was .131. My medications were changed (lowered) and I just received another test and the TSH is now .016 so I am lowering my medications but going more hyper. I will see the doctor today to find out why, since he said my thyroid was basically dead because it had been inactive for so long. I am not sure why the levels are changing. One thing to note hyperthyroid does not always mean weight loss. I have gained weight both times I have gone hyper.

Comment from: goddedeb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had 3 operations to remove cysts from my thyroid at ages 7, 11, and 17. I'm now 28 years old with the latest cyst diagnosed. Started on Neomercazole 20 mg three times a day and need heart medication too.

Comment from: Silent Thyroiditis, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

Three months ago, I was diagnosed with painless / silent thyroiditis, which is similar to postpartum thyroiditis – only I'm a male. Life was bad – I was always dizzy, my mental cognition was low, I was sweating all the time, confused, had insomnia, fatigue, exercise intolerance, and depression. I was prescribed atenolol to manage the symptoms. No antithyroid medications were prescribed, as this apparently is a temporary inflammation. The atenolol made me feel worse – groggy, sleepy, etc. I stopped taking it and have managed the symptoms by reducing stress, eating extremely healthy, and surrounding myself with positive people and stories to get the serotonin flowing, along with no alcohol or caffeine. I'm slowly starting to feel better, but still nowhere near where I was three months ago. But things are getting better.

Comment from: donna w, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

Removed my thyroid now I am going through blood tests after blood test after changing medicines. My body has not recognized that my thyroid is gone. It is still producing at three times more than before. My blood is now thick and i need to be on blood thinners, my heart rate is 250. I feel like i am going crazy with the mood swings. All the doctors are doing is keep changing the meds. I am at my wits end. The doc says i am so sick i can have a heart attack any minute. Just don't know what to do anymore.

Comment from: hagendaz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

My symptoms started with heart palpitations, chest pain, fatigue, diminished sexual drive. That's when I started thinking something was wrong. Suddenly I got a lump on my throat that suddenly swelled up like a golf ball size on left side of throat. It never bothered me in anyway, but it was there. I ignored it for four years, until my sexual drive got so bad. I had to know what was going on. Presently waiting for bi-op app. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Haley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I started having palpitations, heat intolerance, loose stools, and feeling shaky. It was seven months after that when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I lost 10 pounds within a month. I am on heart pills to control my fast heart rate and to normalize my rhythm. I was just started on methimazole. It is a terrible disease! It is such a small gland, but it can screw up your whole body and spirit.

Comment from: Anup, 35-44 Male Published: August 16

I myself dont know since when I had thyroid. Weigh loss was my major symptom. Tries increasing my appetite and have tried everything like weight gain antibiotics as well to increase my weight but all failed. Came down to 42 kgs with my neck narrowed, eyes were hardly visible, bumb flat, Legs like hockey stick etc. Finally came down to all sorts of tests but all avail. Finally one physician looking at my eyes suggested for my thyroid test on a trial & error basis. Bingo and then finally landed up in medication for thyroid. Today I'm of average weight and medicines to be continued for the rest of my like else thyroid level shall fluctuate.

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms Question: For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?