Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: ann029, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was 16 years old when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and until now, that is 21 years old, I still have this disease. For 5 years I've always been visiting the doctors and had a lot of tests. I don't know when this will end because sometimes it disappears then sometimes returns. I easily get tired and I my heart beats fast. My hands sweat a lot and it's so embarrassing when I get to shake hands with other people. Then there is this bulgy eyes which is what I hate the most because my eyes were not like this before, so people used to bully me that I have a big eyes so this makes me sad.

Comment from: gapster, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism one year ago. I have all the signs, rapid heart, pounding heart, shaky, sweats on exertion, anxiety, erratic blood pressure, etc. I lost 22 pounds in one month. I went on methimazole and it has keep my symptoms under control for 8 months now. But what I want people to know (that no doctor ever has talked to me about) is my first major attack came after eating a huge plate of shrimp. I have heard others say that after eating large quantities of shellfish has brought on a major episode. I now avoid any foods that contain large amounts of iodine. Also, a nurse told me a very high percentage of people with this condition are gluten intolerant. Hope this helps someone. This is indeed an awful disease.

Comment from: Penny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

With hyperthyroidism I am experiencing excessive itchiness all over. I had my thyroid removed and gained a lot of weight. I was put on Synthroid but didn't lose the weight and had low energy. I switched to Naturethroid and take it for T3 and T4. I am now experiencing (besides the crazy itchiness) gastro-intestinal problems, lack of energy, and anxiety. I am wondering if these, especially the itching, are symptoms. My doctor doesn't seem to think so but this began happening when I switched medications.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I had severe headaches and tremors. No pain medication could fix the headaches. I also experienced hair loss, some weight loss and a deeper voice. The headaches were my main concern and most publications don't list headaches as a major symptom of hyperthyroidism, so I thought I had a brain tumor. I was relieved when I found out what it was. Now after reading all of these posts I am not sure how lucky I am.

Comment from: Gainor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have been treated for hypothyroidism for about 15 years. I leveled on 150 mcg ten years ago, but in the past two years, the levels went up to top of normal. My doctor left it there because of my terrible issues with pain, fatigue - fibromyalgia syndrome. He was afraid to lower it. Meanwhile, I had to go on several rounds of prednisone because of bad energy crashes that occurred with the least change in activity. I developed heat intolerance and exercise intolerance. A trip to the grocery store for a couple things puts me in bed for three days. I have only been out of bed for 5 days since Thanksgiving Day - 6 weeks! Three weeks ago my TSH dropped below normal while T4 went up. It was worse last week. So the doctor is starting me on lower dose of Armour natural replacement. I believe my pain, fatigue, depression, irritability were all due to high thyroid whipping my body, wiping out cortisone levels. We'll see, with this new dose and type.

Comment from: lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have no energy and am cold all the time. I was told I have high thyroid.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?