Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Moudsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My doctor diagnosed me with underactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) and prescribed levothyroxine. I weighed 116 and in 6 months (and heartburn) I was down to 111 and she lowered the dose to the lowest one. Three more months and I"m down to 101. I was constantly in the bathroom and then got sick - and had nothing to fight it with; all nutrients were being flushed 6 times a day! I had bronchitis, then had a reaction to the antibiotic and hey, now I"m diagnosed with overactive thyroid! I will never take any more of these medications. I still feel lousy and am down to 90 lb.

Comment from: ann029, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was 16 years old when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and until now, that is 21 years old, I still have this disease. For 5 years I've always been visiting the doctors and had a lot of tests. I don't know when this will end because sometimes it disappears then sometimes returns. I easily get tired and I my heart beats fast. My hands sweat a lot and it's so embarrassing when I get to shake hands with other people. Then there is this bulgy eyes which is what I hate the most because my eyes were not like this before, so people used to bully me that I have a big eyes so this makes me sad.

Comment from: gapster, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism one year ago. I have all the signs, rapid heart, pounding heart, shaky, sweats on exertion, anxiety, erratic blood pressure, etc. I lost 22 pounds in one month. I went on methimazole and it has keep my symptoms under control for 8 months now. But what I want people to know (that no doctor ever has talked to me about) is my first major attack came after eating a huge plate of shrimp. I have heard others say that after eating large quantities of shellfish has brought on a major episode. I now avoid any foods that contain large amounts of iodine. Also, a nurse told me a very high percentage of people with this condition are gluten intolerant. Hope this helps someone. This is indeed an awful disease.

Comment from: Penny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

With hyperthyroidism I am experiencing excessive itchiness all over. I had my thyroid removed and gained a lot of weight. I was put on Synthroid but didn't lose the weight and had low energy. I switched to Naturethroid and take it for T3 and T4. I am now experiencing (besides the crazy itchiness) gastro-intestinal problems, lack of energy, and anxiety. I am wondering if these, especially the itching, are symptoms. My doctor doesn't seem to think so but this began happening when I switched medications.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I had severe headaches and tremors. No pain medication could fix the headaches. I also experienced hair loss, some weight loss and a deeper voice. The headaches were my main concern and most publications don't list headaches as a major symptom of hyperthyroidism, so I thought I had a brain tumor. I was relieved when I found out what it was. Now after reading all of these posts I am not sure how lucky I am.

Comment from: lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have no energy and am cold all the time. I was told I have high thyroid.

Comment from: Rosalita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a senior citizen who has an overactive thyroid. The problem I am having is I go from overactive to under active. I go back and forth. My weight is pretty stable, but I get itchy all over sometimes. The endocrinologist has a hard time because I keep going back and forth from under active to overactive. I feel I am too old to be overactive. Most women my age are under active. I just cannot figure out why I have this problem at my age. I do have Graves' disease. My eyes are bulging.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?