Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Danna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

It took 2 years to get the correct diagnosis of hyperthyroidism. I suffered terribly before finding out what was wrong. I couldn't sleep, because I had hot flashes that were so hot, I thought I was in an oven at 750 degrees. I slept 3 or 4 hours a night for 2 years before I got on medicine. In those 2 years I had such extreme foot/ankle/calf pain. I couldn't get out of the bed in the morning without holding onto the dresser for support. Finally, when I just started falling asleep at work I switched doctors and found out I had hyperthyroid, Graves' disease. My first doctor kept telling me it was menopause. She prescribed antidepressants which I refused to take. I knew I was really sick, but I think she just didn't get it. I became very foggy in the brain, had memory loss and confusion. It felt like my brain was swimming along the bottom of a murky lake. At the same time, I became very obsessive. I just kept talking about the same thing over and over, and I ran my charge card up to the moon. I was obsessive in buying things. It took over a year to lose the obsessiveness after getting the correct medicine, methimazole. My feet and ankles would blow up too, they looked like Herman Munster feet. Other times they would just get swollen. I had to stop working, because I couldn't function anymore. Now I am on medicine for 2 years. I've developed double vision. I switched doctors again. I am grateful to the family doctor who figured out what was wrong, but I am now seeing a thyroid specialist. I may be going for surgery. Will see. As of now, I have mood swings, get depressed because I do not feel well. I still hurt all over, but not as bad. I'm tired and have no energy. My hair is falling out. And I have horrible anxiety. And I can't lose the 55 lb. that I gained. I never was sick. So having this is very depressing. I just wish I could be normal again and not feel so terrible all the time.

Comment from: Maggie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am 27 and this all started a couple of years ago. I had a checkup (no tests done, no health insurance and we are poor) and the doctor strongly advised I get help soon because she said hyperthyroidism looked to be the problem. I have always had insomnia and trouble staying asleep. High anxiety, high blood pressure, very irritable, no appetite, nausea, always sweaty hands, itching, using the bathroom a ton, hair falling out, tremors, joint pain, lost 50 lb. very fast, headaches, super bad memory, and very emotional. I hate being alive.

Comment from: Praha, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Because of hyperthyroidism, I lost my weight, experienced severe hunger, loss of sleepiness, and severe skin itching.

Comment from: Miraclemaker11, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I've had symptoms of subclinical hypothyroidism for the past 3 years. I was initially placed on Synthroid (with partial benefit) and then Cytomel (T3) about a year ago. I started feeling tired, had headaches, etc., about 6 months ago, but I wrote it off as just being due to stress. Then beginning mid-July of this year I had a spell consisting of sudden onset rapid heartbeat, sweating, dizziness, shortness of breath, and dehydration. Lab work revealed that I am now in hyperthyroidism. I've since had two trips to the emergency room (ER) with very similar symptoms. I'm off the Cytomel and my thyroid levels are improving but I'm still having these episodes. I take propranolol 20 mg twice daily to regulate some of the symptoms and Xanax as needed for the anxiety. This is absolutely insane. I'll see a cardiologist to get evaluated in September but I think that this is primarily endocrine related. I see that we are not alone and my heart goes out to all of you. Thank you for sharing.

Comment from: hopefulatlast, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was just told by my new primary care doctor that I have hyperthyroidism. I went to see him last week with severe neck pain in my lower neck. I have been out of work since last year, trying to find out why I suddenly had severe tremors, numbness, tingling and loss of feeling down my right side. I had Bell's palsy as well as a loss of speech and memory, along with some other issues. This is the first time my TSH came back anything but normal. Thing is I haven't lost any weight, despite eating well. And my hair and skin are fine. Blood pressure was good till about mid-February of this year. Then diastolic went nuts. I'm thinking that the thyroid might be just the end result of something else. No history of thyroid issues in the family either. I have an appointment with the specialist in September.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?