Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: June 27

I was always overly active. I had so much of energy and my palms use to sweat a lot. At first it started with a swelling in one eye. Then after I stated taking the medications I had a rash on my leg which up to today no one is able to figure out why or how. My heart rate was fast and I'm always nervous. Increased bowel movements and I could never rest.

Published: June 25

I felt like I was going crazy! Tremors, severe muscle cramps of legs then also arms, fatigue and exhaustion with insomnia, eye pressure (goldfish eyes), body aches, palpitations, loose bowel movements, some weight loss, I was told I was extremely irritable, impatient and rude although I myself did not recognize this as it was happening, periods of fragmented thought with difficulty putting thoughts and words together, difficulty concentrating, cotton mouth-thirst and frequent urination.

Published: June 25

My symptoms came on quickly. I felt horrible. It started with really BAD gas, and I had to go to the bathroom all the time. If I would eat 10 minutes later I would be in the john. I lost 50 in two months, but I was eating everything and anything. I also had a very rapid heart rate, and I could not catch my breath. My resting heart rate was 130 beats per minute. I had very bad headaches, I was losing my hair, and I seemed like I always had "extra" saliva in my throat. My voice got rattly. I was really sick.

Published: June 25

I wake up nervous in the morning. I feel very nervous at times. I feel my body is vibrating. I take trazodone to help me sleep.

Published: June 25

My mom has been complaining of constant fatigue despite the healthy lifestyle she leads with at least 5 times a week of exercise. She has heat intolerance, diarrhea and a drastic weight loss. It worries me to see her condition. Recently she has been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder which I have yet to be informed of. It'd be great if I could get advice on what to eat and avoid.

Published: June 19

I noted night sweats for some time, tremors and some anxiety. After finally being diagnosed with a heart attack, I noted palpitations often, increased tremors, general joint discomfort and a tremendous amount of weight loss, sleeplessness, and persistent fatigue. After a year of MD visits, I was finally found to be hyperthyroid - I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. Methimazole treatment was unsuccessful after 18 months resulting in radioactive iodine treatment. I've just started levothyroxine and just trust, this will make me feel human again.

Published: June 10

Large lump on left side of neck, palpations and irregular heartbeat, hair falling out in patches, dry skin--cracks on fingertips and toes and heels, can't sing high notes, heat intolerance, poor vision, poor memory and concentration, always tired but have a hard time falling and staying asleep without meds, hands shake something fierce.

Published: June 09

Tremors, head pain, achy joints, dizziness, weakness in arms, spasms in my thyroid, eye pain, poor concentration, difficulty speaking, argumentive, difficulty in staying asleep, tired, poor muscle strength.

Published: June 09

I just had a hair transplant 9 months ago and my hair should be quite longer but it is not. I went to my doctor and he said I have an over active thyroid. I am going for an x ray tomorrow.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?