Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Madam butterfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 46 year old and I've been suffering for years, with Graves' disease. I had no clue what was wrong with me. I went to the emergency many times over the years and kept getting misdiagnosed, and sent back home to suffer. Finally I had a thyroid storm, and I almost died. I was in ICU for 3 days, and now I am on PTU (propylthiouracil)2.50 mg 3 times daily, 40 mg propanol 3 times a day, anxiety medicines and also sleep medicines. My doctor wants me to stay on medications for 18 months but I can't get a straight answer as to why. I feel terrible.

Comment from: Rosalita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a senior citizen who has an overactive thyroid. The problem I am having is I go from overactive to under active. I go back and forth. My weight is pretty stable, but I get itchy all over sometimes. The endocrinologist has a hard time because I keep going back and forth from under active to overactive. I feel I am too old to be overactive. Most women my age are under active. I just cannot figure out why I have this problem at my age. I do have Graves' disease. My eyes are bulging.

Comment from: sobe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a heart rate of 196 and was admitted to intensive care unit for heart. After all the testing they found it was hyperthyroidism. I was given a double dose of the radioactive iodine. I weighed 128 pounds at the time and went to 200 pounds in about 1 year. I have never got my weight down or my life back. I am on Synthroid medication for over 9 years and no relief as of yet.

Comment from: nidhi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I came to know about hyperthyroidism when I had a blood test three months ago. My weight has been decreasing day by day, so I consulted a doctor. Now I am totally dependent on thyroid pills which I take every day in the morning two hours before eating. I think my condition is slightly improving.

Comment from: lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have no energy and am cold all the time. I was told I have high thyroid.

Comment from: bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed 2 wks go my symptoms are excessive weakness, rapid heartbeat, sweats. I can deal w/everything but weakness my Dr took me off work for a week up methizole to 20mg.

Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in March '08. I lost approximately 80 pounds in three months. I was experiencing hot flashes, tremors, fatigue, protruding eye sockets, and swollen neck glands. My doctor told me that I had Grave's disease, and after I had a thyroid scan, I was told that it was 92.7% overactive and that I had to have radioactive treatment to shrink the thyroid gland. I had to stay away from everyone for three days including my children. I am better now.

Published: June 30

I experienced tremors and a pulse of 130. I was jumpy, I felt like my body was electric, and I had aching arms and legs. I was on the Weight Watchers diet, so I assumed the weight loss was due to the diet. Also, I would wake up in the middle of the night, not being able to go back to sleep, and I had night sweats. (I never sweat!)

Published: June 30

I have excessive sweating, even after I've showered. I don't like to get out much because as soon as I'm getting ready I start sweating; I'm really self-conscious of this. I have a rapid heart rate and have shortness of breath. I feel very fatigued and can't find the energy to do much of anything.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?