Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Rosalita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a senior citizen who has an overactive thyroid. The problem I am having is I go from overactive to under active. I go back and forth. My weight is pretty stable, but I get itchy all over sometimes. The endocrinologist has a hard time because I keep going back and forth from under active to overactive. I feel I am too old to be overactive. Most women my age are under active. I just cannot figure out why I have this problem at my age. I do have Graves' disease. My eyes are bulging.

Comment from: sobe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a heart rate of 196 and was admitted to intensive care unit for heart. After all the testing they found it was hyperthyroidism. I was given a double dose of the radioactive iodine. I weighed 128 pounds at the time and went to 200 pounds in about 1 year. I have never got my weight down or my life back. I am on Synthroid medication for over 9 years and no relief as of yet.

Comment from: lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have no energy and am cold all the time. I was told I have high thyroid.

Comment from: bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed 2 wks go my symptoms are excessive weakness, rapid heartbeat, sweats. I can deal w/everything but weakness my Dr took me off work for a week up methizole to 20mg.

Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in March '08. I lost approximately 80 pounds in three months. I was experiencing hot flashes, tremors, fatigue, protruding eye sockets, and swollen neck glands. My doctor told me that I had Grave's disease, and after I had a thyroid scan, I was told that it was 92.7% overactive and that I had to have radioactive treatment to shrink the thyroid gland. I had to stay away from everyone for three days including my children. I am better now.

Published: June 30

I experienced tremors and a pulse of 130. I was jumpy, I felt like my body was electric, and I had aching arms and legs. I was on the Weight Watchers diet, so I assumed the weight loss was due to the diet. Also, I would wake up in the middle of the night, not being able to go back to sleep, and I had night sweats. (I never sweat!)

Published: June 30

I have excessive sweating, even after I've showered. I don't like to get out much because as soon as I'm getting ready I start sweating; I'm really self-conscious of this. I have a rapid heart rate and have shortness of breath. I feel very fatigued and can't find the energy to do much of anything.

Published: June 30

5 years ago the classic symptoms began. Within months I went from 128 lbs. to 92 lbs. Insomnia, depression, irritability, increased heart rate (130 bpm). My normal was 62 bpm. increased sweating, shaky, clammy hands, leg pain, severe dry eyes, terrible anxiety,1yr. after initial symptoms. I developed acne on every inch of my body. Strange lesions would clear up after 1 wk. every month the lesions returned. It took over 1 yr. of tests, until graves disease was confirmed. After 2 yrs. of methimazole proved ineffective.I-131 ablation (RAI) was administered. My endocrinologist had me wait 1 yr. before any further tests. to allow the RAI to do its work. 1 yr. later my TSH was 5.3? I began Synthroid, months later I began feeling hyperthyroid symptoms. Recently changed Dr., lesions poss. pretibial myxedema? TSH levels drastically change. Losing hope, I feel crazy. These hyper episodes are destructive. I fear losing my fiancee, friends, and job. It affects everything. Currently going through hyper episode, skin lesions, severe insomnia, erratic behavior. Avoiding everything and alone & scared. How does one live this way. I am not the same person. I hope my Dr. or anyone can help.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?