Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Papoose, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 18

My experience has been firstly embarrassing! Looking at my face one would have thought that I had been someone's punching bag. My top and lower eyelids bulged terribly. My hair fell out till I was bald. I lost 60lbs. My heart raced a mile a minute. My blood pressure was 157bpm. I had shortness of breath. I coughed all night long. I developed asthma and wheeze like crazy.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I lost weight, had flushes and unusual sweating which I never had before. I also had loose bowels. I also had C-diff (Clostridium difficile) which I caught in the hospital, so they related the weight loss and all other symptoms to the C-diff. Finally, blood work showed TSH was low. Next week, I will be going to a thyroid specialist. I Hope I get my weight back. It's frightening when some fatal diseases have the same symptoms.

Comment from: Nakita, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I'm always tired; I eat everything and anything and keep losing weight. My resting heartbeat is 150 per minute. I have a lot of nausea always vomiting. I have no energy for anything. I got diagnosed with hyperthyroid 3 years ago when I was 17 going on 18 and since then I've been to 7 endocrinologists and no one can seem to slow it down. I go every six weeks and every time it is faster then before. My eyes got bigger. I'm shaky fatigued, moody, and my hair thinned out

Comment from: Madam butterfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 46 year old and I've been suffering for years, with Graves' disease. I had no clue what was wrong with me. I went to the emergency many times over the years and kept getting misdiagnosed, and sent back home to suffer. Finally I had a thyroid storm, and I almost died. I was in ICU for 3 days, and now I am on PTU (propylthiouracil)�2.50 mg 3 times daily, 40 mg propanol 3 times a day, anxiety medicines and also sleep medicines. My doctor wants me to stay on medications for 18 months but I can't get a straight answer as to why. I feel terrible.

Comment from: Rosalita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a senior citizen who has an overactive thyroid. The problem I am having is I go from overactive to under active. I go back and forth. My weight is pretty stable, but I get itchy all over sometimes. The endocrinologist has a hard time because I keep going back and forth from under active to overactive. I feel I am too old to be overactive. Most women my age are under active. I just cannot figure out why I have this problem at my age. I do have Graves' disease. My eyes are bulging.

Comment from: sobe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a heart rate of 196 and was admitted to intensive care unit for heart. After all the testing they found it was hyperthyroidism. I was given a double dose of the radioactive iodine. I weighed 128 pounds at the time and went to 200 pounds in about 1 year. I have never got my weight down or my life back. I am on Synthroid medication for over 9 years and no relief as of yet.

Comment from: joy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2010 and have been taking carbimazole 5 mg to date. I started by taking 12 tablets per day but now am taking 1 tablet on alternate day, sometimes my thyroid level is normal sometimes it is high. But I believe it will stabilize one day.

Comment from: nidhi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I came to know about hyperthyroidism when I had a blood test three months ago. My weight has been decreasing day by day, so I consulted a doctor. Now I am totally dependent on thyroid pills which I take every day in the morning two hours before eating. I think my condition is slightly improving.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?
Hyperthyroidism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperthyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your hyperthyroidism, and how was it treated?