Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: June 30

I experienced tremors and a pulse of 130. I was jumpy, I felt like my body was electric, and I had aching arms and legs. I was on the Weight Watchers diet, so I assumed the weight loss was due to the diet. Also, I would wake up in the middle of the night, not being able to go back to sleep, and I had night sweats. (I never sweat!)

Published: June 30

I have excessive sweating, even after I've showered. I don't like to get out much because as soon as I'm getting ready I start sweating; I'm really self-conscious of this. I have a rapid heart rate and have shortness of breath. I feel very fatigued and can't find the energy to do much of anything.

Published: June 30

5 years ago the classic symptoms began. Within months I went from 128 lbs. to 92 lbs. Insomnia, depression, irritability, increased heart rate (130 bpm). My normal was 62 bpm. increased sweating, shaky, clammy hands, leg pain, severe dry eyes, terrible anxiety,1yr. after initial symptoms. I developed acne on every inch of my body. Strange lesions would clear up after 1 wk. every month the lesions returned. It took over 1 yr. of tests, until graves disease was confirmed. After 2 yrs. of methimazole proved ineffective.I-131 ablation (RAI) was administered. My endocrinologist had me wait 1 yr. before any further tests. to allow the RAI to do its work. 1 yr. later my TSH was 5.3? I began Synthroid, months later I began feeling hyperthyroid symptoms. Recently changed Dr., lesions poss. pretibial myxedema? TSH levels drastically change. Losing hope, I feel crazy. These hyper episodes are destructive. I fear losing my fiancee, friends, and job. It affects everything. Currently going through hyper episode, skin lesions, severe insomnia, erratic behavior. Avoiding everything and alone & scared. How does one live this way. I am not the same person. I hope my Dr. or anyone can help.

Published: June 27

I was always overly active. I had so much of energy and my palms use to sweat a lot. At first it started with a swelling in one eye. Then after I stated taking the medications I had a rash on my leg which up to today no one is able to figure out why or how. My heart rate was fast and I'm always nervous. Increased bowel movements and I could never rest.

Published: June 25

I felt like I was going crazy! Tremors, severe muscle cramps of legs then also arms, fatigue and exhaustion with insomnia, eye pressure (goldfish eyes), body aches, palpitations, loose bowel movements, some weight loss, I was told I was extremely irritable, impatient and rude although I myself did not recognize this as it was happening, periods of fragmented thought with difficulty putting thoughts and words together, difficulty concentrating, cotton mouth-thirst and frequent urination.

Published: June 25

My symptoms came on quickly. I felt horrible. It started with really BAD gas, and I had to go to the bathroom all the time. If I would eat 10 minutes later I would be in the john. I lost 50 in two months, but I was eating everything and anything. I also had a very rapid heart rate, and I could not catch my breath. My resting heart rate was 130 beats per minute. I had very bad headaches, I was losing my hair, and I seemed like I always had "extra" saliva in my throat. My voice got rattly. I was really sick.

Published: June 25

I wake up nervous in the morning. I feel very nervous at times. I feel my body is vibrating. I take trazodone to help me sleep.

Published: June 25

My mom has been complaining of constant fatigue despite the healthy lifestyle she leads with at least 5 times a week of exercise. She has heat intolerance, diarrhea and a drastic weight loss. It worries me to see her condition. Recently she has been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder which I have yet to be informed of. It'd be great if I could get advice on what to eat and avoid.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?