Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Rosalita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a senior citizen who has an overactive thyroid. The problem I am having is I go from overactive to under active. I go back and forth. My weight is pretty stable, but I get itchy all over sometimes. The endocrinologist has a hard time because I keep going back and forth from under active to overactive. I feel I am too old to be overactive. Most women my age are under active. I just cannot figure out why I have this problem at my age. I do have Graves' disease. My eyes are bulging.

Comment from: lil roziee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I feel weak and confused, I shake and I am depressed. Just recently I started getting a rash all over and I have neck pain and can't sleep... I just had a nuclear medical scan. I am waiting for the results so I can get my surgery done. This is all new to me, a very scary experience. I was on methimazole and got a rash; twice! I hope this surgery relieves these symptoms. I've been like this since May. I want to finally be able to relax and sleep.

Comment from: Papoose, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 18

My experience has been firstly embarrassing! Looking at my face one would have thought that I had been someone's punching bag. My top and lower eyelids bulged terribly. My hair fell out till I was bald. I lost 60lbs. My heart raced a mile a minute. My blood pressure was 157bpm. I had shortness of breath. I coughed all night long. I developed asthma and wheeze like crazy.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I lost weight, had flushes and unusual sweating which I never had before. I also had loose bowels. I also had C-diff (Clostridium difficile) which I caught in the hospital, so they related the weight loss and all other symptoms to the C-diff. Finally, blood work showed TSH was low. Next week, I will be going to a thyroid specialist. I Hope I get my weight back. It's frightening when some fatal diseases have the same symptoms.

Comment from: Nakita, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I'm always tired; I eat everything and anything and keep losing weight. My resting heartbeat is 150 per minute. I have a lot of nausea always vomiting. I have no energy for anything. I got diagnosed with hyperthyroid 3 years ago when I was 17 going on 18 and since then I've been to 7 endocrinologists and no one can seem to slow it down. I go every six weeks and every time it is faster then before. My eyes got bigger. I'm shaky fatigued, moody, and my hair thinned out

Comment from: sobe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a heart rate of 196 and was admitted to intensive care unit for heart. After all the testing they found it was hyperthyroidism. I was given a double dose of the radioactive iodine. I weighed 128 pounds at the time and went to 200 pounds in about 1 year. I have never got my weight down or my life back. I am on Synthroid medication for over 9 years and no relief as of yet.

Comment from: bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed 2 wks go my symptoms are excessive weakness, rapid heartbeat, sweats. I can deal w/everything but weakness my Dr took me off work for a week up methizole to 20mg.

Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in March '08. I lost approximately 80 pounds in three months. I was experiencing hot flashes, tremors, fatigue, protruding eye sockets, and swollen neck glands. My doctor told me that I had Grave's disease, and after I had a thyroid scan, I was told that it was 92.7% overactive and that I had to have radioactive treatment to shrink the thyroid gland. I had to stay away from everyone for three days including my children. I am better now.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?