Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Maggie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am 27 and this all started a couple of years ago. I had a checkup (no tests done, no health insurance and we are poor) and the doctor strongly advised I get help soon because she said hyperthyroidism looked to be the problem. I have always had insomnia and trouble staying asleep. High anxiety, high blood pressure, very irritable, no appetite, nausea, always sweaty hands, itching, using the bathroom a ton, hair falling out, tremors, joint pain, lost 50 lb. very fast, headaches, super bad memory, and very emotional. I hate being alive.

Comment from: sanju, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I have had hyperthyroidism since 4 years and taking 75 mcg Eltroxin tablet to start with, for 2 years I took 50 mcg, then went down to 25mcg and again came back to 75 mcg. I am worried why my thyroid is not reducing and weight gain is not happening. It is constant since last 4 years i.e., 31 kg weight and I am facing more breast pain and that part will get hard always. I am 24 year old and working.

Comment from: Praha, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Because of hyperthyroidism, I lost my weight, experienced severe hunger, loss of sleepiness, and severe skin itching.

Comment from: Miraclemaker11, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I've had symptoms of subclinical hypothyroidism for the past 3 years. I was initially placed on Synthroid (with partial benefit) and then Cytomel (T3) about a year ago. I started feeling tired, had headaches, etc., about 6 months ago, but I wrote it off as just being due to stress. Then beginning mid-July of this year I had a spell consisting of sudden onset rapid heartbeat, sweating, dizziness, shortness of breath, and dehydration. Lab work revealed that I am now in hyperthyroidism. I've since had two trips to the emergency room (ER) with very similar symptoms. I'm off the Cytomel and my thyroid levels are improving but I'm still having these episodes. I take propranolol 20 mg twice daily to regulate some of the symptoms and Xanax as needed for the anxiety. This is absolutely insane. I'll see a cardiologist to get evaluated in September but I think that this is primarily endocrine related. I see that we are not alone and my heart goes out to all of you. Thank you for sharing.

Comment from: hopefulatlast, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was just told by my new primary care doctor that I have hyperthyroidism. I went to see him last week with severe neck pain in my lower neck. I have been out of work since last year, trying to find out why I suddenly had severe tremors, numbness, tingling and loss of feeling down my right side. I had Bell's palsy as well as a loss of speech and memory, along with some other issues. This is the first time my TSH came back anything but normal. Thing is I haven't lost any weight, despite eating well. And my hair and skin are fine. Blood pressure was good till about mid-February of this year. Then diastolic went nuts. I'm thinking that the thyroid might be just the end result of something else. No history of thyroid issues in the family either. I have an appointment with the specialist in September.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?
Hyperthyroidism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperthyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your hyperthyroidism, and how was it treated?