Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Praha, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Because of hyperthyroidism, I lost my weight, experienced severe hunger, loss of sleepiness, and severe skin itching.

Comment from: joy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2010 and have been taking carbimazole 5 mg to date. I started by taking 12 tablets per day but now am taking 1 tablet on alternate day, sometimes my thyroid level is normal sometimes it is high. But I believe it will stabilize one day.

Comment from: Miraclemaker11, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I've had symptoms of subclinical hypothyroidism for the past 3 years. I was initially placed on Synthroid (with partial benefit) and then Cytomel (T3) about a year ago. I started feeling tired, had headaches, etc., about 6 months ago, but I wrote it off as just being due to stress. Then beginning mid-July of this year I had a spell consisting of sudden onset rapid heartbeat, sweating, dizziness, shortness of breath, and dehydration. Lab work revealed that I am now in hyperthyroidism. I've since had two trips to the emergency room (ER) with very similar symptoms. I'm off the Cytomel and my thyroid levels are improving but I'm still having these episodes. I take propranolol 20 mg twice daily to regulate some of the symptoms and Xanax as needed for the anxiety. This is absolutely insane. I'll see a cardiologist to get evaluated in September but I think that this is primarily endocrine related. I see that we are not alone and my heart goes out to all of you. Thank you for sharing.

Comment from: hopefulatlast, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was just told by my new primary care doctor that I have hyperthyroidism. I went to see him last week with severe neck pain in my lower neck. I have been out of work since last year, trying to find out why I suddenly had severe tremors, numbness, tingling and loss of feeling down my right side. I had Bell's palsy as well as a loss of speech and memory, along with some other issues. This is the first time my TSH came back anything but normal. Thing is I haven't lost any weight, despite eating well. And my hair and skin are fine. Blood pressure was good till about mid-February of this year. Then diastolic went nuts. I'm thinking that the thyroid might be just the end result of something else. No history of thyroid issues in the family either. I have an appointment with the specialist in September.

Comment from: Moudsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My doctor diagnosed me with underactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) and prescribed levothyroxine. I weighed 116 and in 6 months (and heartburn) I was down to 111 and she lowered the dose to the lowest one. Three more months and I"m down to 101. I was constantly in the bathroom and then got sick - and had nothing to fight it with; all nutrients were being flushed 6 times a day! I had bronchitis, then had a reaction to the antibiotic and hey, now I"m diagnosed with overactive thyroid! I will never take any more of these medications. I still feel lousy and am down to 90 lb.

Comment from: ann029, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was 16 years old when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and until now, that is 21 years old, I still have this disease. For 5 years I've always been visiting the doctors and had a lot of tests. I don't know when this will end because sometimes it disappears then sometimes returns. I easily get tired and I my heart beats fast. My hands sweat a lot and it's so embarrassing when I get to shake hands with other people. Then there is this bulgy eyes which is what I hate the most because my eyes were not like this before, so people used to bully me that I have a big eyes so this makes me sad.

Comment from: gapster, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism one year ago. I have all the signs, rapid heart, pounding heart, shaky, sweats on exertion, anxiety, erratic blood pressure, etc. I lost 22 pounds in one month. I went on methimazole and it has keep my symptoms under control for 8 months now. But what I want people to know (that no doctor ever has talked to me about) is my first major attack came after eating a huge plate of shrimp. I have heard others say that after eating large quantities of shellfish has brought on a major episode. I now avoid any foods that contain large amounts of iodine. Also, a nurse told me a very high percentage of people with this condition are gluten intolerant. Hope this helps someone. This is indeed an awful disease.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?