Patient Comments: Hypersomnia - Experience

Please describe your experience with hypersomnia.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

It took 4 doctors and nearly 10 years before I finally got an accurate diagnosis for my uncontrollable sleepiness or hypersomnia. I have been on the highest doses of Adderall and Adderall XR a person is allowed to take, for the last 5 years and though it helped in the beginning, it almost doesn"t affect me anymore. There should be a way to retrain a part of the brain to fix this condition. More research is needed.

Comment from: Deb_5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

For the past two years I have been tired during the day. I have no energy and have fallen asleep while at work. I have also fallen asleep while driving. I finally went to my primary doctor and he sent me to a sleep specialist doctor, who ordered me to take a sleep study test. That came back fine, I don't have a sleep apnea, but he noticed that I have restless leg syndrome. I have been on medicine for RLS but I have still been tired. My legs have not been bothering me while I sleep at night yet I am very tired during the day. So the doctor sent me for another sleep study test that lapsed into the nap study. Today I get the call that from the nurse and she tells me that I have hypersomnia. I am shocked that there is a diagnosis for this and you can actually treat it. So I am hoping in the next week or so, after taking the medicine they prescribed me I will start to feel better.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 08

I have always needed more sleep than other people. Even after sleeping 10 or 11 hours I would have trouble waking up and hardly anything wakes me up. I've slept through many loud thunderstorms. Now retired, my hypersomnia is slightly lessened. I am from a large family and everyone except for my mother slept real soundly and slept for long hours.

Hypersomnia - Causes Question: What caused your hypersomnia?
Hypersomnia - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for hypersomnia?