- 10 Common Allergy Triggers Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Quiz on Allergies
- Nasal Allergy Relief Slideshow: Products That Work
- Patient Comments: Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis - Experience
- Patient Comments: Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis - Treatment
- Find a local Pulmonologist in your town
- What is hypersensitivity pneumonitis and what are its causes?
- What is acute hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
- What are the symptoms of acute hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
- What is chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
- What are the symptoms of chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
- What are examples of hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
- How is hypersensitivity pneumonitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
What is the treatment for hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
The most important treatment of hypersensitivity pneumonitis is avoidance of repeated exposures to the offending particles. With early diagnosis and prevention, the prognosis is good. Prolonged, repeated exposures can lead to permanent lung damage, scarring, and potentially significant disability.
Medically reviewed by James E. Gerace, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Pulmonary Disease
Rose, CS, Lara AR. Hypersenstivity pneumonia In: Mason RJ, Broadus VC, Martin TR, et al. Eds. Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa; Saunders Elsevier; 2010; Chap 66.
Saltoun, et. al. Hypersensitivity pneyonitis resulting from community exposure to Cadada goose droppings when an exteran environmental antigen becomes an indoor environmental antigen. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. Vol 84 Issue 1; Pgs 84-86 January 2000.
Takahashi, et. al. Serum Kl-6 Concentrations in Dairy Farmers. Chest. August 2000, vol. 118 no. 2 445-450.