Patient Comments: Hyperparathyroidism - Treatments

What was the treatment for your hyperparathyroidism?

Comment from: wil, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 15

My mother is 90. She had the symptoms many years ago and did the surgery for the removal of the glands. The doctor couldn't find the gland. 20 years later, only 3 years ago she again went through the surgery with the surgeon insisting that he could find the gland, but no gland is found again. Now she is in a nursing home with swollen fingers on the right hand, so she can't eat or write or turn the pages of a newspaper or magazine with that hand. She can no longer stand because of weakness in her legs. Please get treatment early so this doesn't happen to you.

Comment from: Suzqz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I actually diagnosed my own hyperparathyroidism, but of course, I went to see an endocrinologist to make sure. Any time you find out that you have high calcium in your blood, you should investigate it further. That was just one symptom I had. I also had a lot of irritability, extreme fatigue, terrible migraines and the feeling of just not feeling like myself. I knew that there was something wrong, I just didn't know what. I urge anyone that has high calcium in their blood to investigate it further with parathyroid blood work. My parathyroid levels were very high and were the clincher in diagnosing my hyperparathyroidism. My husband thought I was full of it! I read the symptoms and told him these were all how I was feeling. The real symptom was the one that said you just don't feel right but don't know why. I had parathyroid surgery in March of 2008.

Comment from: Tambe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the thyroid removed in 2000 and am on medications now. My blood work shows high calcium. I did a second test and now they say another test in a month.

Comment from: JoanfromMichigan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am a 68-year-old woman and was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism a few months ago. Had a contrast test done which showed no tumor on the glands. I had elevated PTH, low vitamin D level, osteoporosis, but normal calcium levels. My symptoms (except for the osteoporosis which, to me, may just be post-menopausal bone loss) were (and to some extent still are) more appropriate to hypo- rather than hyper- parathyroidism: fatigue, leg cramps, brittle nails, patchy hair loss (including thinning eyebrows). My doctor has me on prescription-strength vitamin D plus 2000 units a day. This has brought my PTH level down to the normal range and has stopped my hair loss (which he says was not caused by the hyperparathyroidism but which I say was) but all other symptoms remain. I also have moderate kidney damage which they at first told me was not bad enough to have caused the hyperparathyroidism but, in the absence of having found a tumor on the gland, they now say was the cause. They have diagnosed me with secondary hyperparathyroidism. But all my symptoms (except for the hair loss) remain despite the reduced PTH and I'm beginning to think that I'd like to have exploratory surgery done on the glands despite the negative x-ray.

Comment from: Starana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been feeling sick for over six years. I've had all the test doctors could think of. I was told lupus, it's “in my head,” fibromyalgia, and many other things. But with all the tests, nobody thought of checking my parathyroid. One doctor said my thyroid was fine, but there is a nodule and we should remove the thyroid just in case it is something. I insisted on more tests and this is when (on the second ultrasound) he suggested doing another blood test and checking my calcium and PTH levels, both of which were high. So, I started researching. I wasn't about to let him cut on me. I found a hospital in with a wing totally dedicated to parathyroid disease. I am going there to have it removed, with someone who does this 15 times a day, five days a week. He seems to know what he is doing.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

My tumor weight was 2,600 mg when removed. I have had vocal cord problems since surgery but am improving. The most interesting thing from surgery is that my blood pressure is normal on one medication, not three or four!! My surgery was two months ago today. I have more energy than I've had in years. Thank God for my successful surgery.

Hyperparathyroidism - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with your hyperparathyroidism?
Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.