Patient Comments: Hyperparathyroidism - Treatments

What was the treatment for your hyperparathyroidism?

Comment from: karen2445, 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism 5 years ago and underwent surgery to remove 3-1/2 parathyroid tumors. My symptoms were depression, weight gain, irritable bowel, moodiness, nausea, not able to concentrate, I felt like I had alzheimer's disease, high calcium levels, and kidney stones. After the surgery, my voice was raspy and I had to go through 6 months of voice therapy. Even though I had to go through voice therapy to get my voice back, I am glad I had the surgery. I would urge anyone who has high calcium levels with hyperparathyroidism to have surgery to feel better again.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: sj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My doctors have been monitoring my calcium blood levels for 3 years. I have finally reached a point with symptoms that I couldn't stand it anymore. Intense nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, diabetes, intense fatigue and body aches. I have felt like I have food poisoning for 8 months. Finally my daughter came to town and insisted that more tests be done. The scan and ultrasound showed something on the lower right parathyroid gland. Surgery is scheduled next week.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Hyperparathyroidism - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with your hyperparathyroidism?
Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.