Patient Comments: Hyperparathyroidism - Treatments

What was the treatment for your hyperparathyroidism?

Comment from: Starana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been feeling sick for over six years. I've had all the test doctors could think of. I was told lupus, it's “in my head,” fibromyalgia, and many other things. But with all the tests, nobody thought of checking my parathyroid. One doctor said my thyroid was fine, but there is a nodule and we should remove the thyroid just in case it is something. I insisted on more tests and this is when (on the second ultrasound) he suggested doing another blood test and checking my calcium and PTH levels, both of which were high. So, I started researching. I wasn't about to let him cut on me. I found a hospital in with a wing totally dedicated to parathyroid disease. I am going there to have it removed, with someone who does this 15 times a day, five days a week. He seems to know what he is doing.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

My tumor weight was 2,600 mg when removed. I have had vocal cord problems since surgery but am improving. The most interesting thing from surgery is that my blood pressure is normal on one medication, not three or four!! My surgery was two months ago today. I have more energy than I've had in years. Thank God for my successful surgery.

Comment from: sj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My doctors have been monitoring my calcium blood levels for 3 years. I have finally reached a point with symptoms that I couldn't stand it anymore. Intense nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, diabetes, intense fatigue and body aches. I have felt like I have food poisoning for 8 months. Finally my daughter came to town and insisted that more tests be done. The scan and ultrasound showed something on the lower right parathyroid gland. Surgery is scheduled next week.

Hyperparathyroidism - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with your hyperparathyroidism?
Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.