Patient Comments: Hyperparathyroidism - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with your hyperparathyroidism?

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I do not have all my blood level results in but have been told that my PTH is high and the calcium is low. The PTH blood level has not been taken in years and when I tried to mention this to a doctor they just kind of dismissed it. I have been feeling tired, thirsty, I don"t feel like doing anything, my joints ache through hands and sometimes legs. What if it goes untreated for many years, then what! I had one ultrasound about 10 years ago and the gland was enlarged but no doctor really did anything about it. I wonder how serious this hyperparathyroidism can be!

Comment from: Pineapple623, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Got kidney stones in September - passed those - got more in November had them blasted - just went through another round of stones in January - my urologist suspected a hyper-parathyroid - he was right. I have a terrible back ache, irritable, very tired, achy all over, no memory - cannot concentrate...GERD. Going to an ENT who can help me - the endocrinologist I went to was worthless. Lots of them never see a hyperparathyroidism case for years at a time - so check out your doc before you go.

Comment from: JennC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I was diagnosed with a tumor on my parathyroid. My calcium levels had been high for years, but none of my doctors took the time to check it out until I moved to Florida. It did not show up on the sestamibi scan, so do not take the radiologist word it's not there. Symptoms: sleeping 14 hours a day and still tired, severe memory loss (my husband said he repeated things many times and then I would ask again as if we had never discussed it), 1 - 2 kidney stones per month. Took lots of calcium after the tumor was removed, I'm 2 1/2 years post-op and feel great.

Comment from: canadagal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I have been diagnosed with a parathyroid adenoma and am having surgery in 2 weeks. I am always tired, decreased energy level, have had many kidney stones for 4 years,4 were large enough to require lithotripsy, my concentration is poor, my short term memory is bad, have lots of joint pain, osteoarthritis in my hips, GERD, and hypertension. I have normal calcium but on the high end of normal. I am a 61 year old female. I also have gall bladder stones; do not know if this is related to Hyperparathyroidism. My PTH was also elevated.

Comment from: Skibby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had parathyroid surgery 2 years ago. It took just over a year after I was diagnosed with elevated calcium levels till I had the surgery. I was achy all over, high blood pressure (though I still have very hard to control blood pressure), just did not feel right. I had a contrasting CT scan, which showed nothing. Finally I talked my Dr into sending me to a surgeon and he agreed that exploratory surgery needed to be done and he found a large mast on my upper right parathyroid. I feel better, but now my health seems to be declining. I am in the process of waiting for my 24 hr. urine results for an adrenal problem.

Comment from: cheyenne1993, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have had primary hyperparathyroid disease for about 3 years now. I am 19 years old and it is taking a huge toll on my life. I have very high calcium, Ii suffer from migraines, bone aches, rapid heart beat, extreme chronic fatigue, irritability, anxiety, hair loss, and kidney stones. I have had all the tests and scans done to determine if i needed surgery. I will get surgery done in about a month. This disease is extremely hard to live with so i urge anybody who has symptoms to get checked out, it has been tough for me being so young going through this but i am happy to get it getting fixed!

Hyperparathyroidism - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hyperparathyroidism?
Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.