Patient Comments: Hyperparathyroidism - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with your hyperparathyroidism?

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

My experience with deep vein thrombosis began with a foot and ankle injury. My ankle, my foot and the bottom half of my leg swelled every day. My toes went purple, my foot went ice cold, numb and had a burning sensation. Cramping in my leg and a constant deep pain was also present. I was on T3s which helped a little, but the side effects like having a problem going to the bathroom was a big issue. A gentle overnight Ex-Lax solved that problem. Later it was discovered, and I'm talking three weeks, that I had a huge clot in the main artery in the groin of my right leg. I am now on warfarin for the next six months to prevent any more clots forming. If you have problems walking long distances with cramping, burning and pain in your legs, I urge you to seek medical help. Chances are you have a clot or decreased circulation to your legs. Clots can break free if untreated, travel to your lungs or heart and kill you. Don't neglect or dismiss the warning signs. Your body is trying to tell you something is not right.

Comment from: Concerned, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had surgery for hyperparathyroidism about 10 years ago. I have started having the same symptoms as before the surgery. I have been told my calcium levels are near high but still considered normal and that my hormone is near normal. I have lots of muscle pain and bone pain. I get depressed and anxious a lot but try to keep going. I am wondering if I should see an endocrinologist for more blood tests. I also have lots of gastric problems.

Comment from: TaylorRay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

With diagnosis of Addison's disease (cortisol levels were 2.3 on prednisone) changed medicines to hydrocortisone and did a 24 hour urine collection, scan and blood test to discover hyperparathyroidism. Symptoms include terrible memory, argumentative temperament, feeling sick with indiscriminate aches and pains, kidney stones, and the loss of most of my teeth over a five year period despite extensive dental care. I can't wait to have surgery and feel better!

Comment from: DrCD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had kidney stones for about 10 years, 3 lithotripsies, osteoporosis in wrists and ankles, osteopenia in spine and hip. My day usually takes a turn by 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon when I get very tired and have no energy at all. My bones often ache deeply like a toothache but not usually in the same spot each time, can be in shins, thighs, groin, hips and can sometimes stop me in my tracks it hurts so badly. I have joint pain also but again not in the same joints every day. My parathyroid hormone (PTH) has ranged over the last 6 months from 79 to 98. My calcium ranges from 9.5 - 9.8 which is in the normal range so my endocrinologist has me on a watch and wait path for the next 6 months. I would not say that I have depression but I have to really work hard to stay positive because I am so exhausted, have so much pain so much of the time and just feel old. Because my calcium is normal my endocrinologist does not feel that my symptoms are connected to my high PTH.

Comment from: cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

My hyperparathyroidism came as a total surprise. My calcium blood levels have been normal all through this process 8.6 being the highest. My doctor just decided to check my parathyroid hormone (PTH), which came back at 232, off the charts. I have had depression and anxiety for several years and take medication for it, I had a large kidney stone a few years ago with safe removal but the urologist said not to take calcium supplements ever again. My hair has been thinning but thought that was an aging problem. I have not been able to see a specialist, I live in a very small area of NY State. I don"t know how afraid I should be.

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I do not have all my blood level results in but have been told that my PTH is high and the calcium is low. The PTH blood level has not been taken in years and when I tried to mention this to a doctor they just kind of dismissed it. I have been feeling tired, thirsty, I don"t feel like doing anything, my joints ache through hands and sometimes legs. What if it goes untreated for many years, then what! I had one ultrasound about 10 years ago and the gland was enlarged but no doctor really did anything about it. I wonder how serious this hyperparathyroidism can be!

Hyperparathyroidism - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hyperparathyroidism?
Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.