Patient Comments: Hyperparathyroidism - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with your hyperparathyroidism?

Comment from: Pineapple623, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Got kidney stones in September - passed those - got more in November had them blasted - just went through another round of stones in January - my urologist suspected a hyper-parathyroid - he was right. I have a terrible back ache, irritable, very tired, achy all over, no memory - cannot concentrate...GERD. Going to an ENT who can help me - the endocrinologist I went to was worthless. Lots of them never see a hyperparathyroidism case for years at a time - so check out your doc before you go.

Comment from: JennC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I was diagnosed with a tumor on my parathyroid. My calcium levels had been high for years, but none of my doctors took the time to check it out until I moved to Florida. It did not show up on the sestamibi scan, so do not take the radiologist word it's not there. Symptoms: sleeping 14 hours a day and still tired, severe memory loss (my husband said he repeated things many times and then I would ask again as if we had never discussed it), 1 - 2 kidney stones per month. Took lots of calcium after the tumor was removed, I'm 2 1/2 years post-op and feel great.

Comment from: canadagal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I have been diagnosed with a parathyroid adenoma and am having surgery in 2 weeks. I am always tired, decreased energy level, have had many kidney stones for 4 years,4 were large enough to require lithotripsy, my concentration is poor, my short term memory is bad, have lots of joint pain, osteoarthritis in my hips, GERD, and hypertension. I have normal calcium but on the high end of normal. I am a 61 year old female. I also have gall bladder stones; do not know if this is related to Hyperparathyroidism. My PTH was also elevated.

Comment from: Skibby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had parathyroid surgery 2 years ago. It took just over a year after I was diagnosed with elevated calcium levels till I had the surgery. I was achy all over, high blood pressure (though I still have very hard to control blood pressure), just did not feel right. I had a contrasting CT scan, which showed nothing. Finally I talked my Dr into sending me to a surgeon and he agreed that exploratory surgery needed to be done and he found a large mast on my upper right parathyroid. I feel better, but now my health seems to be declining. I am in the process of waiting for my 24 hr. urine results for an adrenal problem.

Comment from: cheyenne1993, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have had primary hyperparathyroid disease for about 3 years now. I am 19 years old and it is taking a huge toll on my life. I have very high calcium, Ii suffer from migraines, bone aches, rapid heart beat, extreme chronic fatigue, irritability, anxiety, hair loss, and kidney stones. I have had all the tests and scans done to determine if i needed surgery. I will get surgery done in about a month. This disease is extremely hard to live with so i urge anybody who has symptoms to get checked out, it has been tough for me being so young going through this but i am happy to get it getting fixed!

Comment from: Tired in Missouri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I first was aware that my blood calcium levels were high in 1998. My GI Dr. Had it rechecked to make sure I didn't have cancer. I was told I had osteopenia in 2003. When I had another bone scan in 2008 I was told I had osteopenia for sure. The scan done in 2003 was incorrectly interpreted and my Dr. Told me tat at that time I actually had the bones of an 18 year old. A bone scan done in May 2013 revealed significant thinning despite being on Boniva for 5 years. My primary physician had me do a 24 hour urine test which revealed high calcium. The was followed by a blood test check PTH levels which were also high. When I read the symptoms of Hyperparathyroidism I cried. I retired 2 years early because of low back pain, sciatica, and fatigue. I have headaches almost every day. I have an appointment with an endocrine surgeon 7/31. I'm praying for a surgery that will help me feel normal again!

Hyperparathyroidism - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hyperparathyroidism?
Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.