Patient Comments: Hyperparathyroidism - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with your hyperparathyroidism?

Comment from: Marvmarfa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

My hyperparathyroidism was diagnosed by my Endocrinologist after a blood test showed hypercalcemia in my blood. An ultrasound showed nodules. It caused my osteoporosis. I also have depression, memory loss, and at times it is difficult to swallow my own saliva. My TSH was high also. I will be seeing my endocrinologist in a few months to discuss treatment.

Comment from: mel2012, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I recently found myself with a problem with my knee which lead me to find out I may have calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease. I looked it up and found that it is strongly related to hyperparathyroidism. My magnesium chronically runs low, I have an increased WBC count and low grade fever. I feel ill all the time with no reason. Most interestingly, I found out that my vitamin D was 10. However, my calcium levels are always fine. I have all the symptoms of hyperparathyroidism and haven't had blood work in a while. Also about two years ago I was found to have two small nodules on my parathyroid glands they said they would 'watch.' Is it possible to have primary hyperparathyroidism with normal calcium levels showing up on blood tests?

Comment from: Rich, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

The symptoms I experienced from hyperparathyroidism were weakness, irritability, joint pain, depression, kidney stones, and generally feeling like things weren't right. I passed 13 kidney stones in two years since I had an elevated calcium of 10.9, but the doctor initially didn't want to send me for a PTH test. Eventually I pushed the issue and it was 125. With an elevated PTH and calcium level, you will have a benign adenoma, which is easily removed by newer methods (20 minute outpatient procedure). Skip the exploratory route. I am post-op two weeks and feel 10 years younger! All of my symptoms are either gone or minimal.

Comment from: Pamela Ledgerwood, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

Being extremely tired, off and on during the day, needing to take naps, upset stomach and not feeling well, with diarrhea at times. After consulting with my GP and having blood tests taken, my calcium level was slightly high, but my parathyroid blood test was over 200. I'll be going to my endocrinologist this week for further tests. Don't wait when you're calcium level is slightly high or high. Have a parathyroid test done as well.

Comment from: HighCalc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Fatigue, brain fog, aching legs, occasional confusion, dizziness. I am 68 and couldn't shake a bad cough and fatigue. My doctor ordered blood tests which showed high calcium levels. Further testing indicated levels of over 228. Normal should be 10-16, I understand. I have an appointment with a surgeon, but as I await tests, I am very, very tired, sleeping 8 hours at night and 3-4 hours during the day.

Comment from: Mervyco, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My wife had it and it was undiagnosed for 7 years, even though we saw some of the best medics. Eventually a massive tumor was excised at operation. She was achy, dull witted (sometimes even the simplest task was too difficult) aggressive, weak, slept up to 17 hours a day, depressed and tearful, snored loudly, zero libido and hates me touching her, even now. I am sure there were several other symptoms but these are the main ones. Sadly after only 7 months of wellness her Calcium levels are way up again and another op may be on the horizon.

Comment from: whiner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 20

Inability to focus; lack of concentration. Impaired memory. Not necessarily depressed, but get sad often for no apparent reason. Easily overwhelmed by seemingly simple tasks. Joint aches and pains, especially shoulders and knees.

Hyperparathyroidism - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hyperparathyroidism?
Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.