Patient Comments: Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.

Comment from: BonBons, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had no definite symptoms of hyperparathyroidism other than a decline in bone density and blood tests (to monitor a prior cancer) that indicated high blood calcium. My endocrinologist monitored the blood calcium for almost a year and conferred with my oncologist since blood CA could have also been a flag for possibly returning lymphoma. There"s a great reason to have all your physicians in the same hospital. Once hyperparathyroidism was confirmed I did the pre operation testing, showed up for surgery, had the 2 hour surgery and emerged from the operation room with 2.5 fewer parathyroid, the rebel ones. During surgery wonderful devices monitor how the CA levels are being controlled. I was placed in a post operation room to be monitored carefully until the next morning. My symptoms prior to surgery were nonexistent and I presume that"s why I have noticed no changes post operation. My neck muscles were sore for a day after surgery and that was that! Marvelous! Subsequent tests confirm that I am A-Okay! I should now be successfully building up my bone density again with my usual balanced diet and my exercise including weights.

Comment from: Teresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I have been ill for years with no medical reason other than being diagnosed with Sjogrens about seven years ago. I began missing work due to severe pain all over my body. Then in December of 2011 while at work I experienced a severe migraine with vertigo, followed by two weeks of vomiting. I have had all kinds of stomach problems, diarrhea, bloating, constipation and even have been hospitalized for these problems. On my own, I discovered that I have hyperparathyroid disease. The best advice I can give you is always get a copy of lab, ultrasounds, and all tests sent to your home. You have the right to ask for all medical records. I also followed up with getting my calcium levels checked and asked my doctors lots of questions. Luckily, I did research on my own, found a clinic that specializes in parathyroid disease, and had surgery two weeks ago. I already feel like I have more energy and my joint pain has decreased a lot. Don't give up--there is hope.

Comment from: Ashley T, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I've had Hyperparathyroid Disease since I was 18 and was only diagnosed 5 years ago when I was 21. I had surgery to have one removed because it was overproducing 8xs more than it should. After surgery I felt much better but lately have been feeling terrible which may very well be the disease again. Once you have the disease you're much more likely to have reoccurrences which sucks.

Comment from: flagrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I always felt tired and like each of my legs weighed 100 pounds. When I had routine blood work done it showed abnormal calcium levels and my vitamin D level was almost nonexistent. I'm still struggling with the disease, as my doc has decided to try to control it without surgery by supplementing large doses of vitamin D and a small supplement of calcium daily. I am now dealing with a side effect of the disease which is pseudogout. Not very pleasant at all.

Comment from: iamthezookeeper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

My doctor just called and said my calcium was elevated and wants to check it again. I am scheduled for a cardiac workup due to some chest pain. I have been very low in vitamin D for years. I've had osteoporosis in my hips and lower back for years, possibly due to many years of taking prednisone. I finally went in to my doctor and said: "Something is wrong. I can't stop sleeping. I have gained 25 pounds. I feel like crap all the time, am depressed, my legs hurt when I sleep, I'm having headaches, body aches, and I can't remember anything." I have a feeling I have hyperparathyroidism, from what I have read. We will see what she says next week. Something has to be done soon, as I feel like I am sick all the time but don't know why. I am so glad I found this page because it explains so much. If she says my levels are elevated, though not high enough, I'm wondering if I should just look for a second opinion. How long does it take to diagnose this? I have been sick for years, and they have said it is fibromyalgia/Churg- Strauss/GERD/osteoporosis.

Hyperparathyroidism - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with your hyperparathyroidism?
Hyperparathyroidism - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hyperparathyroidism?