Hyperparathyroidism is a disorder of the parathyroid glands. There are two types of hyperparathyroidism, primary and secondary. When the parathyroid glands produce too much hormone, hyperparathyroidism is the resulting condition. Most cases of hyperparathyroidism have no evident cause. Symptoms include fatigue, weakness, depression, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, constipation, or confusion. Increased calcium and phosphorous excretion may cause kidney stones. The main treatment of hyperparathyroidism is parathyroidectomy.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Kidney stones are solid masses of crystalline material that form in the kidneys. Symptoms of kidney stones can include pain,...learn more »
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....learn more »
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...learn more »
In This Article
- Osteoporosis facts
- What is osteoporosis?
- What are osteoporosis symptoms and signs?
- What are the consequences of osteoporosis?
- Why is osteoporosis an important public-health issue?
- What factors determine bone strength?
- What are osteoporosis risk factors and causes?
- What tests do health-care professionals use to diagnose osteoporosis?
- What types of specialists treat osteoporosis?
- Who should have bone density testing?
- What is the treatment for osteoporosis, and can osteoporosis be prevented?
- Exercise, quitting cigarettes, and curtailing alcohol
- Calcium supplements for osteoporosis
- Vitamin D for osteoporosis
- Can adding certain foods to one's diet help to prevent osteoporosis?
- Are there foods to avoid when it comes to osteoporosis?
- Hormone therapy (menopausal hormone therapy)
- Medications that prevent bone loss and breakdown
- Choosing an osteoporosis medication
- Prevention of osteoporosis due to long-term corticosteroids
- Monitoring osteoporosis therapy
- Prevention of hip fractures in elderly people with osteoporosis
- What are complications of osteoporosis?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with osteoporosis?
Pseudogout, a form of arthritis, results when deposits of crystals collect in and around the joints. Symptoms of pseudogout...learn more »
In This Article
- Pseudogout facts
- What is pseudogout?
- What are causes of pseudogout?
- What are risk factors for pseudogout?
- What are pseudogout symptoms and signs?
- How does a doctor diagnose pseudogout?
- What are treatments for pseudogout?
- What other conditions can accompany pseudogout?
- Are there special circumstances that can promote attacks of
- What are complications of pseudogout?
- What is the prognosis of pseudogout?
- Is it possible to prevent pseudogout?
- What specialists treat pseudogout?
- Where can people get more information about pseudogout?
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...learn more »
In This Article
Thyroid Disorders Article
- What are thyroid disorders?
- What are the specific kinds of thyroid disorders?
- Thyroid nodules
- Thyroid cancer
- How are thyroid disorders diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for thyroid disorders?
- Thyroid medications
- Thyroid surgery
- What is the outlook for thyroid disorders?