Hyperparathyroidism is a disorder of the parathyroid glands. There are two types of hyperparathyroidism, primary and secondary. When the parathyroid glands produce too much hormone, hyperparathyroidism is the resulting condition. Most cases of hyperparathyroidism have no evident cause.
Signs and symptoms of hyperparathyroidism include
Increased calcium and phosphorous excretion may cause kidney stones. The main treatment of hyperparathyroidism is
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...learn more »
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders,
kidney stones, and less common...learn more »
Kidney stones are solid masses of crystalline material that form in the kidneys. Symptoms of kidney stones can include pain,...learn more »
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...learn more »
In This Article
- Osteoporosis facts
- What is osteoporosis?
- What are osteoporosis causes and risk factors?
- What are osteoporosis symptoms and signs?
- What are the consequences of osteoporosis?
- Why is osteoporosis an important public health issue?
- What factors determine bone strength?
- What tests do health care professionals use in the diagnosis of osteoporosis?
- What types of health care professionals treat osteoporosis?
- Who should have bone density testing?
- What is the treatment for osteoporosis, and can osteoporosis be prevented?
- Exercise, quitting cigarettes, and curtailing alcohol
- Calcium supplements for osteoporosis
- Vitamin D for osteoporosis
- Can adding certain foods to one's diet help to prevent osteoporosis?
- Are there foods to avoid when it comes to osteoporosis?
- Hormone therapy (menopausal hormone therapy)
- Medications that prevent bone loss and breakdown
- Choosing an osteoporosis medication
- Prevention of osteoporosis due to long-term corticosteroids
- Monitoring osteoporosis therapy
- Prevention of hip fractures in elderly people with osteoporosis
- What are complications of osteoporosis?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with osteoporosis?
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...learn more »
In This Article
- Fatigue Facts
- Fatigue introduction
- What causes fatigue?
- What are the signs and symptoms of fatigue?
- How is the cause of fatigue diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for fatigue?
- Can fatigue be prevented?