Patient Comments: Hypermobility Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hypermobility syndrome?

Comment from: MoaningMarianna, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am a 16 year old girl. I was diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome two years ago, but have always had regular hospital trips because of dislocated knees, pulled elbows, twisted ankles, sprained wrists, the whole works. Since being diagnosed by my physio therapist I have been referred to specialists in London because simple exercises to strengthen the ligaments round my left shoulder have made my shoulder dislocate before I can really get to work on getting myself strong. In the past year my shoulder has dislocated without cause in various lessons at school and randomly at home. The specialist referred me back to physio (pointlessly) so I'm starting to feel as if nobody is taking me seriously, I genuinely find it difficult to get through a day at school, my attendance is 75 percent at school because of all the hospital appointments and what not.

Comment from: smalldafty, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was always sore, sometimes I couldn't even walk up the stairs at work (I'm only 21). It was causing me great deal of stress and felt much older and weaker! My back often got so sore that I could hardly move.

Comment from: tricky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Both myself and my 15 year old daughter have hypermobility. As a result I have a ruptured ACL ligament in my right knee and my left is very stretched. I always guard my knees and very cautious of where I walk. My daughter suffers from hip and knee pain that restricts her playing sports, to my dismay my son has recently been suffering severe foot pain. I have read the articles here to see this may be as a result of hypermobility also.

Comment from: J.O, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I was diagnose with hypermobile a few weeks ago because by moving my arms my shoulders would pop out, my hips where popping out also. Throughout my childhood flexibility wasn't any problem but when you grow older it gets too you and you start having issues like constant pains in the back. I now see chiropractor and they try to make it better but I don't seem to see any difference. Sometimes you just wish to be normal and do things because right now my limits are pretty low and tiredness follows right after each day.

Comment from: Mother of 3, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

All 3 of my children have hypermobility syndrome but they suffer from significant digestion/stomach issues (cramps, nausea, reflux, vomiting) and significant sleeping issues (difficulty getting to sleep, waking early hours of the morning and not being able to get back to sleep). I found a report indicating this is relating to "stretchy" tissue in the stomach and blood vessels.

Hypermobility Syndrome - Cause Question: Please share the cause of your hypermobility syndrome.
Hypermobility Syndrome - Treatment Question: How has your hypermobility syndrome been treated?